Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #18,376 of 48,578
I'm pretty sure that the Dolby Surround Sound (For Headphones) is a marketing gimmick.
Any set of good headphones will give you that surround sound feel if you have a good enough sound card or audio processor. 

Unless your ears are too far from the anticipated shape, Dolby Headphone and other virtual surround processing algorithms allow you to hear WHERE a sound direction is coming from, though footsteps are still up to the game and headphone clarity. Look at my "journal" thread listed in my signature to view samples from YouTube, and make up your own mind if it works or not, and if it's for you or not.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #18,379 of 48,578

Right click on the speaker in your tray, and select playback devices. If you can switch the source manually from there, it will work. If not, it won't.

Okay I am not sure exactly what you mean here...my question initially was if I connect my headphones to my speakers will the source be my sound card or the speakers,  and will the sound differ ? the answer was yes, and those are old speakers so I am guessing its gonna make the sound worse.

Now is there an easier way instead of connecting this and that constantly and have both my speaker and headphone source from the sound card ?

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #18,380 of 48,578
  Now is there an easier way instead of connecting this and that constantly and have both my speaker and headphone source from the sound card ?

Not sure what you mean by "constantly". Are you looking for a way to have everything stay connected, and switch what audio device the sound comes out of easily, or are you looking for a way to hook everything up, so you can hook and unhook your headphones often without to much hassle?

to be honest, step one is to hook your headphones up to your speakers, and then your sound card directly, and see if you can tell a difference. If you can't, then just do what is the most convenient for you. If you don't have an amp in your sound card dedicated to headphones, I suspect they will sound the same.

Technically yes, the sound card directly is a better solution, but in practice, you most likely won't be able to tell a difference.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #18,381 of 48,578
Surround sound is sort of a necessity for competitive gaming and the AX720+ is the cheapest that has that.

Also you can use it not only with the PC but with almost any console.

PS4
Xbox one
PS3
Xbox 360

Another thing is that it lets you balance game/chat volume so you can get the perfect balance between the two, the other headsets you mentioned doesn't have that and I'm 100% sure your not going to like that for online gaming.....nobody does.

You CANNOT use the AX720+ with an Xbox One, it does not currently output the needed DDL 5.1 signal out through optical to feed surround to the AX720+ box. To get surround out of an Xbox One, you either need something that accepts an HDMI connection or DTS Connect over optical, and right now the only available devices that can do either of those things are receivers.

The AX720+ is also not the cheapest solution, consoles have the good Turtle Beach DSS available new for about $25-30 on eBay, and there are several surround processing USB sticks for PC.

All the gaming-marketing headphones are a poor value compared to the quality you can get with respected Normal headphones with a separate mic. Some of the Gaming marketed headphones sound decent (like Corsair or Razer), but they're just more expensive than same or better quality options from Sennheiser or Koss.

EDIT: Also, any opinions on the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for gaming?

I haven't heard the closed Beyer DT770, but the V-MODA M-100 does a great job for a closed headphone, a little bit of a warmer can but imaging and detail is good and it works well with surround processing.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #18,382 of 48,578
To get surround out of an Xbox One, you either need something that accepts an HDMI connection or DTS Connect over optical, and right now the only available devices that can do either of those things are receivers.

The 2013 Astro Mixamp Pro reports that it is compatible although it won't work for chat until they develop an adapter for the cable connection: see below (from their mouth)

XBOX ONE COMPATIBILITY

Our headsets will all deliver Dolby® Digital GAME AUDIO on the Xbox One, just like they do for the Xbox 360. However, the chat connector on the controller is now a proprietary connector, meaning that our current products will require an adapter to connect to the controller for Xbox Live voice chat. Fortunately, until this chat adapter is available, the built-in Kinect microphone will provide full voice communication access to Xbox Live while using ASTRO headsets on the Xbox One.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #18,384 of 48,578
Huh, I'm a little confused now on the cable bit. I'm looking at cables to replace the stock X1 cable, but I don't know what kind of cable i'm supposed to buy. I thought I would get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Stereo-Auxiliary-smartphone-players/dp/B005K1C91W/ref=sr_1_67?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1385495302&sr=1-67&keywords=braided

or

http://www.amazon.com/BLUE-FLAME-BF2030-Aux-Connector/dp/B009RUYNLG/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1385498718&sr=1-2&keywords=blueflame#productDetails

or  

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-AI-800-MINI-7-iCable/dp/B002E9HHZQ/ref=pd_sim_pc_9

But do I need something like this instead? 

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34

I'm looking at the headphones and the input for the headphones on my Xonar ST and I can't see any connector that looks like the second one. Anyone mind throwing me a suggestion for a relatively cheap braided cable that I would need for the X1? Totally lost as to which kind of cable I need... I thought it was supposed to be a 3.5MM male Stereo to 3.5MM stereo male...

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #18,385 of 48,578
  Thanks for the reply! Made the decision to get the X1! Before I order though, I hear it's a good idea to replace the cable, any recommendations?

Also, is pad replacement that much of an issue?

For replacing the X1's cable, any 3.5mm male-to-male cable will work.

The monoprice "mobile" and mediabridge 3.5mm cables both work fine.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385507494&sr=1-2&keywords=mediabridge

For any other cable questions, there's a whole thread for the X1 you can ask in:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1

As for the pads, I think the issue is a tad overblown as pads should last years and years if you take good care of the headphone (and don't use it when your all dirty/sweaty). 

You CANNOT use the AX720+ with an Xbox One, it does not currently output the needed DDL 5.1 signal out through optical to feed surround to the AX720+ box.

The 2013 Astro Mixamp Pro reports that it is compatible although it won't work for chat until they develop an adapter for the cable connection: see below (from their mouth)

What Evs said above is right. 

The Xbox One is CURRENTLY missing the Dolby Digital 5.1 output option, which is crucial for dolby headphone surround to function correctly. 
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/21/xbox-one-dolby-digital-5-1-support-for-headsets-coming-post-laun/

Microsoft says that DD 5.1 ouput will be added back later in a system patch.  Once that's back, THEN the mixamp will work properly.  At the moment it's still "compatible" in that you will get sound from it, but it will only be the upscaled Dolby Pro logic, which is not the same as true Dolby headphone surround. 

You will still need whatever chat adapter microsoft comes up with regardless.

Chico...do you feel the K712's are worth the extra $100 over the X1's. The only other problem I have with the X1's is the ear pads being pretty much irreplaceable. SMH

I suppose so.

I think the X1 is a better value, especially when you get it at the ~220-240 price.  At that price (two thirds the cost of the K712) your getting more sound for the money IMO.  The K712s are great though, and they bring a bit smoother, richer, more refined, and more balanced sound.  The X1 is a little more fun with some boomier bass emphasis and slightly more treble sparkle (although still warm).

It's a shame too see Philips repeatedly lose potential X1 sales due to lack of replaceable pads.  I've seen it too many times here - enough that it's time for Philips to release a revised X1 (or X2) with removable replaceable pads.  The X1 deserves that, as it's too good a headphone to be held back by such a small issue.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #18,386 of 48,578
hello. 2 years ago, with the help of this thread, i purchased the astro mixamp 5.8 tx alongside sennheiser pc360, so that i can soundwhore like a god in call of duty, in xbox 360.
well i am very satisfied. i can pinpoint where everyone is, very very accurately.
the reason i made this post, is that i cannot understand where someone is, if he is above or below me. i can understand all other directions, apart from above and below.
is this a limitation of the headset? a limitation of the mixamp? or both?
and if one of these has a limitation, can someone tell me some alternate to them?
when i purchased the mixamp, it was the best in the market... from what i read today, it still is. or am i wrong? thank youso much

ps1. from what i have searched there isnt afirmware upgrade for my mixamp right?
thank you

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #18,387 of 48,578
Sony Slave and jTizMLG,
RE: Xbox One surround for headphones
Yeah, the Astro can make "fake it" surround from a stereo signal, but it's a lotta reverb and no actual positional accuracy. It needs a Dolby Digital live 5.1 surround signal, which is unavailable on Xbox One until a (yet undisclosed) later date. Hopefully soon right?

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #18,388 of 48,578
my friend why do you say it makes  fake surround? i can accurately pinpoint where everyone is shooting from on the map, or where everuone is. i can distinquish between front , bacl, left, right, easily. and i mean EASILY. only thing i dont understand is if someone is above or below me. so why do you say astro mixamp doesnt have positional accuracy. and which mixamp would you suggest that combined with pc360, might solve my little problem? thanx

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #18,389 of 48,578

I'm not 100% sure what your trying to say but if your worried about setup the 720+ and AX720 both have there own decoder box which is like a sound card and you simply plug a USB from decoder to PC.

Or you can use toslink from decoder to PC.

Maybe a picture would be more helpful? The question I am asking is. Is my convoluted setup even getting me good sound quality?

Headset -> connected -> Turtle Beach DPX decoder box - > connected -> USB Audio Box -> connected -> Computer.

The reason the Audio Box exist is solely because my on board sound card does not have optical in.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #18,390 of 48,578
Yeah, the Astro can make "fake it" surround from a stereo signal, but it's a lotta reverb and no actual positional accuracy. It needs a Dolby Digital live 5.1 surround signal, which until a (yet undisclosed) later date. Hopefully soon right?

my friend why do you say it makes  fake surround? i can accurately pinpoint where everyone is shooting from on the map, or where everuone is. i can distinquish between front , bacl, left, right, easily. and i mean EASILY. only thing i dont understand is if someone is above or below me. so why do you say astro mixamp doesnt have positional accuracy. and which mixamp would you suggest that combined with pc360, might solve my little problem? thanx

Burning Ambition, Evshrug's "fake" comment was referring to the prior discussion about Dolby Pro Logic.  He wasn't talking about Dolby Headphone, which is what YOU are talking about.

As for height cues, I don't think there's anything you can do about it at the moment as the current surround sound DSPs available for Consoles don't really account for any height cues (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back