Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #18,406 of 48,578
I just got my AKG K702 today but i am abit surprised and confused with the headset because

1: It does not have a label on the side of the headphones saying made in austria
2:It had no bumps on the headband
3: it has a sticker on the headband saying made in china P.R.C

is this still the AKG k702 headset that i should have and not the one with made in austria on the side ? Is it the same sound quality etc as the other one or should i send it back and try to find one saying made in austria or is that not possible anymore?

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #18,407 of 48,578
Thought I'd share this in here since there are some of you who play both COD and BF.

I was playing TDM on a certain map (forgot the name) in BF4 where there are nothing but two story houses scattered through the map. At first, I was frustrated at the fact that everyone on the other team was camping inside all the houses on one side of the map.

One enemy, in particular, was going straight COD style by sitting in a corner on the second floor of a house killing everyone that came up the stairs. It only took once for me to know what to do in retaliation.

When I returned after spawning, I though I'd teach em an old "Only in Battlefield" lesson and blew the bulding to pieces with my M320. This fool was still laying down and camped in the same spot... until I blew the whole wall off...
cool.gif

After that I just blew up all the houses with my M320 everytime I respawned... resulting in no more campers half way through the match...
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #18,408 of 48,578
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to Mad Lust Envy as I was looking at my different gaming headset options when I came across this thread. I have taken the plunge and ordered the AKG K702 65th edition and DX mic along with the Fiio E12 and the Mixamp Pro 2013. The Mixamp has arrived but I'm waiting for the rest to come along.

I have just tried out the Mixamp with my Westone 4s on my Playstation 3 and have to say I'm already impressed! I have a Playstation 4 on order (will receive before Christmas) and can't wait to get it all up and running.

Regards,

Ravi

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #18,409 of 48,578
what's the word on the schiit magi? What would match up better with the AKG k712 the FIo e12 or the schit? Open to any input, but I don't want to spend too much more than $130 on the amp if I don't need to. Also this will pretty much be stationary. Thanks

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #18,410 of 48,578
I was surfing along looking at wireless setups and this caught my eye. I know we don't really praise wireless around here, it wasn't the headphones that peaked my interest it was Dolby receiver that caught my eye. If only it came with a headphone port.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-h-wireless

I think it is one of the most stunning gaming mixamps available. After seeing what Steelseries is doing, Astro and Turtle Beach really need to step up their game.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #18,413 of 48,578
  I just got my AKG K702 today but i am abit surprised and confused with the headset because

1: It does not have a label on the side of the headphones saying made in Austria
2:It had no bumps on the headband
3: it has a sticker on the headband saying made in china P.R.C

is this still the AKG k702 headset that i should have and not the one with made in Austria on the side ? Is it the same sound quality etc as the other one or should i send it back and try to find one saying made in Austria or is that not possible anymore?

I'm guessing AKG switched over to manufacturing the K702 in China, several months ago.
I believe the AKG K812, K712 & K612 are make in Austria, but would assume all other models are made in China.

I would also guess AKG does not go out of their way to advertise what models are not made in Austria anymore.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #18,414 of 48,578
No, it is a limitation of the current technology. It cannot simulate sounds coming from above or bellow yet.
There is Dolby Headphone X which seems promising and should eliminate these issues, hopefully :]

Well, improve but not completely eliminate. You gain one level of height cues, which should make a difference, but the audio is still being funneled into discreet speaker direction channels, and there are no directly above direction nor any below directions.

If you think DTS Headphone X is cool, listen to what true 3D audio not designed for a handful of speakers can do, and add your comments to my Virtual Surround journal article:
[Video]http://youtu.be/_6uUtf-lMQQ[/Video]

I am really excited about the future of surround sound headphone technology. I realize positioning can be better on a speaker system but it doesnt seem to immerse me in the world.
Turtle Beach has a DTS-X headphone out now but it is mac only which seems like a strange step to take. Put the word out and gamers would be emptying their wallets for it.  

Lol just saw that! Would be great for movies, though the Mac App Store also just had steam-summer-sale-like discounts on the biggest games for Mac.

I also have a few adapter boxes (monoprice, etc..) that supposedly take HDMI signal and split it out to HDMI pass-thru video and optical audio. I know they support several formats on the optical but not sure if DTS is one of them, I will have to check. I think that's a less preferred method since it may introduce some lag having the video pass thru another device too, but we'll see and I'll report back. Of course an older Marantz receiver with Dolby Headphone would also work great. I use a SR5005 in my main room; BTW the "-05" series is the last Marantz that used Dolby Headphone, it seems to work from all sources (7.1 LPCM from a PS3, for example, or DTS...), and this model also is HDMI 1.4a and 3D capable. 

One question- my son plays a lot of Ghosts and BF4 on the Xbox One. Not sure if there are in-game audio settings in Ghosts? If so, what is preferred? I know there are in-game choices in BF4, so same question: do you guys like War Tapes, Hi-Fi, Home Theater, etc..for BF4 with Dolby Headphone? 

The HDMI split-out box sounds like a good adapter system. For some reason, Dolby Digital Live (the Dolby signal that Mixamps and DSS's and Recon3D USB surround processors use) CAN already be output by an Xbox One through HDMI, so pulling the audio from that should work. Just annoying that we would need an extra adapter, but that sounds like the least expensive solution for right now.

I'm experimenting with BF3 settings now, which have the same options, and I think Home Theater is what you need for surround channels. You'd think hi-Fi mode would be best, but I think that only gives you stereo.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #18,415 of 48,578
  I would say to get Unified Xonar Driver version 1.70.
I just use the optical connection for everything, to me the music is good enough.
With my Xonar, I leave the sample rate at 96Khz.

What other settings do you have in the xonar  audio center ? soundchannel= ?? , sample rate 96k, output device = headphones ?advanced settings "pro gaming mode" or VOIP mode ?
SPDIF enabled with  dolby headphones enabled ? together with DH-1, DH-2 or DH-3 ? Any other settings or options i should change / use ?

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #18,416 of 48,578

I'm guessing AKG switched over to manufacturing the K702 in China, several months ago.
I believe the AKG K812, K712 & K612 are make in Austria, but would assume all other models are made in China.

I would also guess AKG does not go out of their way to advertise what models are not made in Austria anymore.

So sound quality should not really be any difference from the china made ones and the Austira ones from before ?

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #18,417 of 48,578
  So sound quality should not really be any difference from the China made ones and the Austria ones from before ?

I would assume they would be very close to the same audio quality, maybe the same audio quality.
Just not a question where I would have enough facts to know.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #18,418 of 48,578
what's the word on the schiit magi? What would match up better with the AKG k712 the FIo e12 or the schit? Open to any input, but I don't want to spend too much more than $130 on the amp if I don't need to. Also this will pretty much be stationary. Thanks

I haven't tried the Schiit, but I do use my E12 with my K712 (more often than I did my Q701, actually). I have read a lot of reviews and impressions on both however, and this is how I'd sum it up.

They both are very good amps, and drive the AKG K712 pro well. They both have a fair bit of power, and output impedance so low on them, so those two things mean really sensitive headphones or those needing more power are both covered and the amps could be used with almost any headphone.

The E12 is smooth and drives the K712 very well with great refinement and no distortion. It has a couple fun switches to turn on a bass boost and/or a crossfeed to blend the L/R channels a bit for more relaxed listening (and less brain reaction, sometimes songs pan hard left or right and it can be jarring, this lessens that). Also, yeah you will be using it mostly stationary, but the E12 is portable so you have the option to use it in different rooms (bedroom, TV in the living room, take it to work) easily without having a hassle to unhook and set it up.

The Schiit Magni is an attractive silver desktop amp. Good price. Since it's a wall-plug-in desktop amp, you don't have to worry about charging your battery (though you can only set it up where you have a nearby free power outlet, and you have to be careful of noise from the grid mains). Sound-wise, reviews mention a clear revealing sound, which may balance the K712's slightly more warm signature. It's also simply an amp... sometimes it's attractive to have a simple device that does one thing. There's only one control - an analogue volume knob, and people like turning a nice volume knob on a desktop amp (the E12 also has a volume knob, but it also serves as a power switch and it's pretty stiff to turn unless you turn it just-so).

Which would I choose? I don't really know. I honestly AM someone who likes the simplicity of a desktop amp, but I feel that if I had a Magni I'd also want a portable amp because they're just very convenient. As it happens, I DO have a desktop amp, and I use my E12 whenever I need it's convenience. I'd probably be ok pairing down to an E11 plus my tube amp, but the E12 is basically no compromise in sound quality.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #18,419 of 48,578
I find that the E12 has a pretty narrow soundstage. It was pretty evident to me with the Alpha Dog when switching between the Objective 2 (people say the O2 and the Magni sound nearly identical). That and I always found it to be a bit bright for my liking. Bright as in the 4 kHz - 8 kHz range.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #18,420 of 48,578
  I was surfing along looking at wireless setups and this caught my eye. I know we don't really praise wireless around here, it wasn't the headphones that peaked my interest it was Dolby receiver that caught my eye. If only it came with a headphone port.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-h-wireless

I think it is one of the most stunning gaming mixamps available. After seeing what Steelseries is doing, Astro and Turtle Beach really need to step up their game.

I'm curious to to see what the reviews say regarding the Steelseries wireless' sound quality, but I agree -- that is some damn good-looking hardware!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back