Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #18,436 of 48,578
  Internal sound cards are usually worse than external due to the internal's noise. So I'd say external > internal.
As for headphones, the Creative Aurvana Live! is a good headphone and you can use the cheap clip-on [is it?] mic MLE is using.
Or the Audio Technica headphones, which are also generally good.
I feel MLE is more informed in this regard though so I am sure he'll be able to provide a more informative answer :]

Meanwhile, I am thoroughly enjoying my W1000X with HiFiMAN pleather pads :]

Hmm the creatives definitely seem nice, although unlike you I had pleather pads, much more of a valor person really. I can't seem to find valor replacements on their website either :frowning2: not a bad price though. For the Audio Technica headphones is there ones you can recommend in my price range or may possibly go into my price range if on sale that would have valor replacements

I only got really one response and since cyber Monday is coming up I should reword my question as well.

I'm currently using a USB sound card, are they not as good as internal ones?

I'm looking for a headset/headphone+mic replacement. My last one cost me about $130 if I remember they were Turtle Beach DPX21's for the PS3 that I started using for me PC. I'm not an audiophile, but I do play a lot of FPS games semi competitively (I'm competitive, not sure about the rest of the people in the pubs lol).

I'm looking for something $100 or less, but like I said now that cyber Monday is coming up maybe some suggestions on sets to keep an eye on that might drop to or below $100 would be a good idea to.

I really need a headset/headphone+mic set up soon as I am sick of using my old headset just for the mic and having to wear ear buds or go through my speakers.

Have a look at something like this mate the V2..you want surround sound not just stereo..sennheiser have got some of the best sounding headsets but the surrounds not that good for bf4!

These look pretty nice and in my price range, although it would be nice if it was less, but it only has 19 reviews which is strange, most are good, but are they new (just came out)?

Edit: Also why is it not good for BF4?

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #18,437 of 48,578
Hailin,
I bet the optical in is just for stereo PCM input.

Bakuryu,
All the AD series of Audio Technica open headphones use velour earpads. I personally liked the competitive AD700 which was also a great price value, but if you listen to music or like more bass, then a more balanced headphone would be recommended.

And it's not that the Corsair is bad for BF4... It's just that BF4 is so chaotic, hectic, and busy that surround sound won't give you much tactical benefit (but I guess it could help immersion). The V1 corsair Vengeance series PC headsets were actually highly rated for PC gaming headsets, but good music headphones always beat gaming headsets for price and all-around sound quality. Just get a good headphone and add whatever mic you want; lapel mics are great for consoles and all-around use, but Creative sound card products also come with good stereo microphones.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #18,439 of 48,578
Is that the first time you saw the demo? It was posted on your thread by Feg and then again (and it's possible industry effect) discussed on my thread. I'm not exactly sure what AstoundSound is... I thought it was GenAudio and AMD created a piece of audio-processing hardware called TrueAudio to be placed on Radeon graphics cards (and the Radeon-equipped PS4). I did read that it interacts with games before FMOD or Wwise processing, and apparently consideration was taken to make it easy to implement. I'd rather invite talk about it on my thread than derail the headphone guide, but in short this sounds like the second coming of OpenAL.

I haven't really followed Head-Fi too closely as of late. Too many damn final projects and exams coming up...

From what I can tell, GenAudio's AstoundSound is a software plugin for FMOD Ex and Wwise that provides the neat 3D audio mix featured in that video, and while it can run on the CPU, they support the AMD TrueAudio DSP to keep the workload from eating up precious CPU cycles.

The TrueAudio DSP itself is utilized before it ever hits the Windows audio stack, so it's mixed and ready to output through any audio device, be it the graphics card's HDMI audio path, a sound card, a USB DAC, or anything else Windows recognizes as an audio playback device.

I wouldn't expect too much difference from AstoundSound's CPU-mixed codepath in that regard.

Also consider that TrueAudio is just a DSP, free for developers to use in any way they best see fit. It's a bit of a contrast to Aureal and Creative's approach of putting DSPs on their sound cards primarily to support their own 3D audio technologies and then sell their own 3D audio tech to game developers.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #18,440 of 48,578
Hailin,
I bet the optical in is just for stereo PCM input.

Bakuryu,
All the AD series of Audio Technica open headphones use velour earpads. I personally liked the competitive AD700 which was also a great price value, but if you listen to music or like more bass, then a more balanced headphone would be recommended.

And it's not that the Corsair is bad for BF4... It's just that BF4 is so chaotic, hectic, and busy that surround sound won't give you much tactical benefit (but I guess it could help immersion). The V1 corsair Vengeance series PC headsets were actually highly rated for PC gaming headsets, but good music headphones always beat gaming headsets for price and all-around sound quality. Just get a good headphone and add whatever mic you want; lapel mics are great for consoles and all-around use, but Creative sound card products also come with good stereo microphones.

You could look at the steel series headsets,they are supposed to be good Bakuryu!

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #18,441 of 48,578
I'm not going to answer the same questions over and over.
I don't understand why people feel the need to ask questions answered on the guide.

If I'm ranting, I apologize, but every joe schmo thinks they're the only ones who ask me questions, when I get the same exact ones on a daily basis.

What'd the best competitive gaming headphone for under $10?

Can I use the HE-4 with a Fiio E5 for now?

Is the treble on the DT990 too sparkly?

Does the XB700 have bass that is too much for competitive gaming?

Is the Ad700 the best gaming headphone for FPS games for a cheap price?

What headphone has punchy bass, forward mids, large soundstage, great for gaming competitive and fun, good treble, comfortable, doesn't leak out, easy to drive, and is less than $200? (you'd be surprised how many people want it ALL for a cheap price like there is a secret, perfect headphone only I know about)

LOOK AT THE GUIDE PLEASE

Maybe the guide could use a "F.A.Q" section, and you could just say "check the FAQ" everytime someone asks one of the same questions that gets asked every day.

Some of us could help you write some of the answers.  I know I've answered the same questions many times, and it'd be nice to say "check the FAQ" instead.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #18,442 of 48,578

Maybe the guide could use a "F.A.Q" section, and you could just say "check the FAQ" everytime someone asks one of the same questions that gets asked every day.

Some of us could help you write some of the answers.  I know I've answered the same questions many times, and it'd be nice to say "check the FAQ" instead.

Great suggestion, I know I have asked my fair share of questions on the forum (never pm'd anyone though) and have been given very helpful answers, suggestions and advice. We got to remember though, as a community, this thread is now 1200+ pages. A lot of our questions have been answered somewhere before, but it will take a long time finding them so I don't blame anyone for not sifting through all the comments. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! God bless you and your families.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #18,443 of 48,578
Bakuryu,

So the Audio Technica  are good for both gaming and music/other things? I mean I don't listen to music a lot, but when I do I'd like it to sound good. Can you link me to this competitive AD700? I only see regular AD700. Also most of them so far I've seen are far over budget, although ones I can look for if they get discounted on cyber Monday. The Corsair looks nice and its the second version which is why I guess it doesn't have as many reviews. Although someone right below you just said they were bad so now idk.I was looking at a Zal mic it was pretty cheap and highly rated would that work? Would I need a creative sound card? Like I said I have a USB 7.1 audio box (guess this is considered an external soundcard?) is that not good enough?

Those corsair are really bad, i had ones and trust me one of the the worst headsets i ever had.

Really? Did you have the first version or the new one? What was wrong with them?

Bakuryu,

You could look at the steel series headsets,they are supposed to be good Bakuryu!

Most until the end looked kinda meh. The steel series looks nice only because it seems the main band has metal to it although the side of it is plastic which is where both of mine have broken so far. Those pleather ear covers though need replacements if they have them. The steel series hits my max budget which I'm not happy with, but if they are worth it and will last I don't mind. The top 10's number ones look pretty nice and aren't a bad price either. Anyone got any experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZS5ATM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006ZS5ATM&linkCode=as2&tag=euroclubhits-20

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #18,445 of 48,578
Nov 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #18,447 of 48,578
   Damn a lot of driver bugs :S i think I will save some euros to get the ST/STX its the best choice for the money , right?

I think the STX is a good choice.

A Xonar DX or D1 sound card, combined with a O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier, makes a good setup.
As long as you have no plans for also using speakers (otherwise you spend time swapping the jacks).

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #18,448 of 48,578
Review of the new Audio Technica ATH-AG1 (closed back) gaming headset:

http://www.onlysp.com/audio-technica-ath-ag1-hardware-review/

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #18,449 of 48,578
Could swapping the stock UR40 drivers out for KSC75s or KSC35s help their sound a bit?

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #18,450 of 48,578
I doubt it, since the UR40 seems to use the same drivers as the KSC75 to begin with, with a different enclosure. As everyone should know by now, the Koss drivers are very reliant on how close they are to your ears, and seal. The stronger they press on the ears, the warmer and bassier they get. Because the UR40 pressed against the ears AND use a circumaural fit that seals between the driver and the ears, you get a ton of warmth and bass. Too much, I say. With the standard foams on the KSC75, you don't get the same type of strong seal, and both the 75 and 35 drivers are more balanced because of it.

It's like when people told me to try the PX200 pads on the Koss headphones. Biggest mistake ever. It was overly dark, and overly bassy. Dunno What kind of improvements people were referring to, but they sounded like crap. I guess if you want an overstated amount of bass, sure...

In the case of the UR40, it's not the drivers that are limited, but the headphone assembly/housing itself. I would just get a KSC75 with a parts express headband, if you want an instant improvement over the UR40. Or better, buy the Sportapro and PE headband. That's the closest to the UR40 in terms of being warm and bassy, but still, much better.

What people don't understand about the KSC75, is that they don't bend the clips inward to make the drivers press against the ear. This is an absolute must, since the KSC75 fresh out of the box are too separated from the clips, and you lose a lot of their warmth and fullness. They think the Parts express headband offers an improvement over the clips, because the headband allows the drivers to press towards the ears. The truth is, so can the clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back