Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 29, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #18,466 of 48,578
Killzone: Shadow Fall, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and whatever came free like Resogun.

Was considering Need For Speed Rivals, since I still have some gift card money from all my PS1 game trade ins. But with Ys, and some steam backlog, I won't be playing too much PS4. Still, send me a request. I'll definitely add you. I check my PS4 daily, so I still would put in some CoD rounds. I don't play KZ. I beat the campaign, and tried multiplayer, but I'm a CoD guy at heart. KZ is too slow and awkward for me.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #18,467 of 48,578
I own BF4, Rivals, NBA 2K14, and Injustice.

I'd love to try either Shadowfall or Ghosts so I'll send you one of my games to borrow whenever I send the 1840... if you don't mind letting me borrow one of those in return.

And what's your ID? Sorry, haven't had a chance to check your PS4 live stream to see...

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #18,470 of 48,578
I own BF4, Rivals, NBA 2K14, and Injustice.

I'd love to try either Shadowfall or Ghosts so I'll send you one of my games to borrow whenever I send the 1840... if you don't mind letting me borrow one of those in return.

And what's your ID? Sorry, haven't had a chance to check your PS4 live stream to see...

Aww dude, I bought those games digitally, lol. Since all games have to be installed, I don't see a need to own a physical copy, unless I feel I'm gonna trade it in (which thinking about it... i would...lol, maybe I should've bought the discs).

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #18,471 of 48,578
Aww dude, I bought those games digitally, lol. Since all games have to be installed, I don't see a need to own a physical copy, unless I feel I'm gonna trade it in (which thinking about it... i would...lol, maybe I should've bought the discs).

LMAO!

That's exactly why I bought the discs lol

I'll still send one anyway because I never have time to play em all. It's mainly been BF and NBA, as it has always been...

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #18,472 of 48,578
Nov 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #18,473 of 48,578
Since you guys are talking PSN, 12 months for $30. Might be beneficial.

Of course it's sold out by the time I actually see this. Argh...and my subscription expires at the end of this year, with most of my PS3 library being PS+ Instant Game Collection stuff...

In other news, my family's decade-old Hitachi 43FWX20B is finally getting retired. They just did some 1am-3am Black Friday shopping and surprised me with a Vizio E420i-A0, which probably isn't the best TV for gaming by a long shot (28-32ms input lag! Most fighting game, rhythm game and shmup fans would sneer at that!), but it shall have to suffice for the living room consoles.

Everything else about it surprises me: full 1920x1080, 120 Hz (albeit likely to be the BS kind where it can't actually accept 120 Hz video signals from PCs), and it's even one of those "smart" sets that directly connects to all the usual Internet video streaming services.

We're currently thinking about where we'll mount it in the living room, which was clearly never designed to be a home theater with the irregular wall layout and windows everywhere. Now would also be a great time to learn how to calibrate HDTVs with the help of HFCR and my colorimeter...

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #18,474 of 48,578

We're currently thinking about where we'll mount it in the living room, which was clearly never designed to be a home theater with the irregular wall layout and windows everywhere. Now would also be a great time to learn how to calibrate HDTVs with the help of HFCR and my colorimeter...

For a basic calibration any THX mastered DVD or BluRay has a calibration feature to help. If you have the $4 glasses for it it's even better. I've never used HFCR myself. Do you have a Spyder meter or a different brand? I've been looking into picking up a system to calibrate and color match my 3 monitor setup at work.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #18,475 of 48,578
Umm, my TV has a 43ms input lag and it plays fine. I come off a 10ms monitor, and the difference is minute to non-problematic. It becomes a problem at around 60ms. Trust me, I'm picky with input lag. 28-32ms is considered very good on HDTVs, with only some Sony HDTVs pulling under 20ms..

I certainly don't feel the mouse trailing behind my actions when I'm navigating the webz off my TV. I did with a 60ms TV I tested.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #18,476 of 48,578
For a basic calibration any THX mastered DVD or BluRay has a calibration feature to help. If you have the $4 glasses for it it's even better. I've never used HFCR myself. Do you have a Spyder meter or a different brand? I've been looking into picking up a system to calibrate and color match my 3 monitor setup at work.

I have an X-Rite i1Display Pro, generally considered the best colorimeter in its price range. Especially when that price was $150 after rebate; Newegg just gave me a 20% off X-Rite products code at the time, and I couldn't resist, especially with the $50 rebate on top!

Umm, my TV has a 43ms input lag and it plays fine. I come off a 10ms monitor, and the difference is minute to non-problematic. It becomes a problem at around 60ms. Trust me, I'm picky with input lag. 28-32ms is considered very good on HDTVs, with only some Sony HDTVs pulling under 20ms..

I certainly don't feel the mouse trailing behind my actions when I'm navigating the webz off my TV. I did with a 60ms TV I tested.

I just don't want it to be like those HDTVs at the university game room with VERY noticeable input lag. I can't believe people play fighting games on those things, since the delay is practically painful.

I'm also still accustomed to the practically-nonexistent input lag of CRT monitors. Of course, my PS3 and other consoles get about 16ms or so of input lag anyway when it has to go through my PC's capture card and through the video viewing/capture app, which I don't find to be much of a setback.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #18,477 of 48,578
It won't be. I'm betting it's because those tvs have their frame interpolation and nonsense picture options turned on, which add a LOT of input lag. Hell, even my TV can jump to over 100ms lag if I turn certain options on. If you know what options to turn off (they shouldn't be on in the first place), or if you turn on Game Mode, your lag will quite noticeably decrease. 28ms-32ms is pretty instant.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #18,479 of 48,578
Mad Lust, would you say the K701 are the very best headphones for competitive gaming on the market? What would be #2 and #3?

I'm looking for an upgrade of my soundstage modded senn 555, but something more significant than a 598. Plus the AKGs do look quite nice compared to them and certainly have better build quality, both which are reasons why I'm also considering the K702 Anniversary edition.

If all factors are considered (music, movies, etc.), I also have a senn 600 dedicated to music listening so it'd be nice to have different brands and signatures, and then again I'm looking for the very best for gaming not the fifth place that the 598 might be.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back