Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 15, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #38,941 of 48,580
I actually ended up switching back to the regular Dolby surround of the Mixamp. While Sonic does sound more realistic, in certain situations the surrounding noises that I was listening for were way too close to me even though the person making the noise was not that close. Therefore, I would be kind of thrown off as to what the position of said person was. Everything is much louder and clearer with Sonic but sometimes everything sounds too close to you.

EDIT: I actually ended up trying Atmos with the Focal Utopia (which has a intimate soundstage usually not the greatest for gaming) and the combo actually works surprisingly well. Will be experimenting more with this.

Have you tried a UHD Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos headphone enabled (playing the UHD through the Xbox One S?)

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #38,943 of 48,580
Purchased a Monmoprice M 1060 this week so what microphone would you use for gaming conversations in discord or skype when gaming with other people? I now use focusrite 2i4 (connects to computer by usb, about $240)rather than my creative Zxr sound card
Oh man, I could go into soooooo many mic options if you want to use your Focusrite. I game using my Scarlett 2i2 as an interface for my microphones and it's wonderful. Probably the single most overkill mic I've used for gaming was the Blue Kiwi. For normal day-to-day gaming you can get by with even a cheap $20 XLR mic as long as it sounds decent. I mount my mic on a boom arm and run that into my Focusrite.

unnamed.jpg

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #38,944 of 48,580
Hello everyone, I have been MIA for a while, mainly because I don't like the new look for the site and have had trouble using it on my android :frowning2: lol. Have I missed out on anything new and relevant? Heard something about a new Creative Labs sound card with RGB lighting...lol.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #38,945 of 48,580
Hello everyone, I have been MIA for a while, mainly because I don't like the new look for the site and have had trouble using it on my android :frowning2: lol. Have I missed out on anything new and relevant? Heard something about a new Creative Labs sound card with RGB lighting...lol.

I didn't like the change at first, but they've added to it and now I prefer the new look! Easier on my phone to use now. The first week or two were bad though.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #38,946 of 48,580
Oh man, I could go into soooooo many mic options if you want to use your Focusrite. I game using my Scarlett 2i2 as an interface for my microphones and it's wonderful. Probably the single most overkill mic I've used for gaming was the Blue Kiwi. For normal day-to-day gaming you can get by with even a cheap $20 XLR mic as long as it sounds decent. I mount my mic on a boom arm and run that into my Focusrite.

What are you using to power those monitors Axel? I may be looking for something small(-ish) as an upgrade from the X7 speaker outs

Sadly it's true, they actually made a PCI-e card with RGB. Moreover, it does not have swappable opamps

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #38,947 of 48,580
What are you using to power those monitors Axel? I may be looking for something small(-ish) as an upgrade from the X7 speaker outs
Currently using the Audioengine N22 towards the center of the desk. It serves its purpose. I had another amp previously that sounded better with my DefTechs, but the left channel died so I grabbed a functional replacement. I'm eventually going to be swapping these monitors out for an active pair.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #38,948 of 48,580
So my mixamp is broken and i need a new one. My question is what are the differences between the mixamp pro 2013 model and the 2014 model. Which would you guys recommend? I would get the one i have again(it was the 2010 model i think) but they dont have it on amazon and im using giftcards to get the new mixamp so im kinda stuck with amazon for my purchase.

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #38,949 of 48,580
Hi all,

Excellent thread, I am attempting to setup the best possible surround experience for gaming(mainly PUBG) but I'm at a standstill with what hardware to purchase. I followed the guide on Page 1 but there are just too many different options to go with and I don't want to make the wrong decision as the price isn't cheap. I currently have a Asus Xonar Essence STX with Astro A50 headphones but haven't been to pleased with it. I just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's as I heard great things about them. The issue i'm now having is what to get for the AMP/DAC setup. I am currently torn between the Creative X7 (LE or Standard) and the Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber stack. Does anyone know which setup would go better with the DT 990 Pro's for gaming?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #38,950 of 48,580
Hi all,

Excellent thread, I am attempting to setup the best possible surround experience for gaming(mainly PUBG) but I'm at a standstill with what hardware to purchase. I followed the guide on Page 1 but there are just too many different options to go with and I don't want to make the wrong decision as the price isn't cheap. I currently have a Asus Xonar Essence STX with Astro A50 headphones but haven't been to pleased with it. I just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's as I heard great things about them. The issue i'm now having is what to get for the AMP/DAC setup. I am currently torn between the Creative X7 (LE or Standard) and the Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber stack. Does anyone know which setup would go better with the DT 990 Pro's for gaming?

Thank you!
A gaming audio chain is compromised of three devices. A DSP, a DAC, and an amp. The Xonar Essence STX is all three of them at the same time, but simultaneously it can also be a DSP only or a DSP+ DAC only. Try your headphones plugged directly into the STX and only if you find them not satisfying, buy an external amp. There really is no point in buying Creative X7 if you already own an STX.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #38,951 of 48,580
A gaming audio chain is compromised of three devices. A DSP, a DAC, and an amp. The Xonar Essence STX is all three of them at the same time, but simultaneously it can also be a DSP only or a DSP+ DAC only. Try your headphones plugged directly into the STX and only if you find them not satisfying, buy an external amp. There really is no point in buying Creative X7 if you already own an STX.

Thanks for the reply! The only reason I was thinking about purchasing the x7 or schiit stack was due to reading it improved the overall sound experience over the STX. So from what you are saying, would the gaming aspect of the STX such as sound quality and positional audio perform the same as an x7 or schiit stack?

Thanks again for the info.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #38,952 of 48,580
For positional audio (surround sound processing DSPs like Dolby Headphone or SBX) you can use the STX processing and then send it to the Schiit stack. You can then disable the processing and just use it as the stereo device for listening to music. SPDIF input is superior to USB especially on Schiit products. This would be a pretty good upgrade over just the STX depending on the headphone used.

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #38,953 of 48,580
For positional audio (surround sound processing DSPs like Dolby Headphone or SBX) you can use the STX processing and then send it to the Schiit stack. You can then disable the processing and just use it as the stereo device for listening to music. SPDIF input is superior to USB especially on Schiit products. This would be a pretty good upgrade over just the STX depending on the headphone used.

I really appreciate the info =) So just to clarify, would the schiit stack (magni 2 uber/modi 2 uber) + STX be better option for positional audio instead of the creative x7? The headset I'll be using is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #38,954 of 48,580
I really appreciate the info =) So just to clarify, would the schiit stack (magni 2 uber/modi 2 uber) + STX be better option for positional audio instead of the creative x7? The headset I'll be using is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's.
It's not a question of better/worse. Buying the X7 (DSP+DAC+headphone amp+speaker amp) makes little sense if You already own a DSP (Xonar STX) and don't plan on using passive speakers (which the X7 can drive). If You only use headphones and not speakers, or You use powered speakers then X7 is simply overkill.

Jun 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #38,955 of 48,580
It's not a question of better/worse. Buying the X7 (DSP+DAC+headphone amp+speaker amp) makes little sense if You already own a DSP (Xonar STX) and don't plan on using passive speakers (which the X7 can drive). If You only use headphones and not speakers, or You use powered speakers then X7 is simply overkill.

I understand but don't really mind paying more for "overkill" if it will be an overall improved sound experience. I won't be using speakers for gaming, just headphones. So my question still stands, which setup would give me the best overall sound experience with DT 990 Pro Headphones, the Creative X7 or STX + Schiit v2 uber stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back