Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 28, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #39,541 of 48,568
I think the v moda is a $10 better option over the ketdirect. has all the same features but is more durable and the 45 degree connections are more ergonomic
It's 3.5mm plug only whereas the ketdirect has both 3.5mm and 2.5mm version

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #39,542 of 48,568
Does the shared ground have a negative impact?

Why do they **** up such easy things though? Why not a simple 3,5mm jack? Why do the Beyerdynamic have non-removeable cables? I could see myself buying a dt880, but having two seperate cables sucks big time. I had two cables for several years now and I can't stand it anymore.

Same for the Audio Technica, which is a great headphone for gaming. But the non-removeable cables though... I know that it's not a problem for everybody but the majority would be happy with a one-cable-solution I guess.

Shared ground only has a negative impact if the headphone plug and the microphone plug are connected to different devices or to a device which internally has separate grounding for headphones and mic (such as the X7). It makes no difference for devices which internally use the same ground for headphones and mic(such as the mixamp)

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #39,543 of 48,568
I have a question about connecting everything, I am using the dss with the ad500x and when i connect the usb for power it doens't register my microphone
On ps4 if that helps
also here's how it's connnected currently: optical cable in, usb in for power, y splitter out with heaphone and modmic connected.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #39,544 of 48,568
I have a question about connecting everything, I am using the dss with the ad500x and when i connect the usb for power it doens't register my microphone
On ps4 if that helps
also here's how it's connnected currently: optical cable in, usb in for power, y splitter out with heaphone and modmic connected.
Dss doesn't have an analog in. There are diagrams on the first page of this thread that will help you connect everything properly.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #39,545 of 48,568
Shared ground only has a negative impact if the headphone plug and the microphone plug are connected to different devices or to a device which internally has separate grounding for headphones and mic (such as the X7). It makes no difference for devices which internally use the same ground for headphones and mic(such as the mixamp)

Thank you guys. I just ordered a k712. No store close to me had it, but they did have sennheiser and beyerdynamic. Beyerdynamic was a bit too v shaped (990) and the sennheiser was alright, but the akg might be even better. We will see once it arrives :)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #39,546 of 48,568
I have a full stereo rack near the xbox one and PS4. The audio components for sound output is a Marantz AV7703 and an Anthem amplifier to Monitor Audio speakers. I do not use microphones for gaming and can add it later if i decide. I am looking at getting a long 1/4" cable to run between the AV7703 headphone out and the couch. Would this work well for a headphone setup? The xbox and PS4 go to the AV7703 with HDMI cables. For a dedicated headphone I am looking at the HD598 or AKG 702/1.

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #39,548 of 48,568
Astro Mixamp Pro + ModMic 5 Chat Issue

I have an Astro Mixamp Pro (2015 model) + ModMic 5, which I use with both Xbox One and PS4. As far as I can remember I have had an issue with people in party chat not being able to hear me loud enough. I primarily use chat on the Xbox One so I will refer to that. Recently it has gotten really bad. Not only is my voice not loud enough, but it cuts in and out. I also have an Astro Mixamp (2011 model) that I don't use because the optical port door broke, but I taped the optical cable to it and connected it to my Xbox One and the results were the same.

To test my ModMic 5 I connected it directly to my laptop's mic jack and recorded my voice using Audacity using both the uni and omin-directional mics. In both cases my voice sounded loud and clear. I then connected my Mixamp Pro to my laptop via usb and my ModMic to the Y-adapter that is connected to the Mixamp Pro and recorded my voice. The volume was much lower and my voice level wavered.

I've done some research on the Astro Mixamp + ModMic and a lot of people are experiencing this issue. People have said that it has something to do with the Mixamp's noise gate. I had a Mixamp when I played on the Xbox 360 and I don't recall experiencing this problem, so it's possible the Xbox One is to blame as well. The fact that the ModMic requires 5V to power may have something to do with it too.

So, I'm here, not necessarily to find a solution to fix the problem, because part of the problem is on Astro's end, but rather to see if something else will work. Will the V-MODA BoomPro work with the Mixamp Pro so that others can clearly hear me? Or will it be the same as the ModMIc? How many volts does it require to power? Another option, though considerably more expensive, is the Creative Sound Blaster X7. I considered this before I purchased the Mixamp Pro and Schiit Magna 2U, but decided against due to price and issues with it and the PS4 that I read about.

I found a solution. By removing the Mixamp from the equation as far as the ModMic is concerned other people can hear me clearly.

I now plug the headphones alone into the Mixamp and the Y-adapter into my controller. The ModMic is plugged into the mic side of the Y-adapter and the chat cable into the headphone side of the Y-adapter. The other end of the chat cable is plugged into the Mixamp.

I still get Dolby Digital Surround Sound and can hear other people, but now they can hear me fine.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #39,549 of 48,568
D4167D50-7685-4BDD-8C10-9A4D5F1D1A5A.png E3459A9C-7965-4C79-BFA5-F501C4E14B57.png 13FDFF54-ED6A-40D4-A2BE-3AC87034BA8D.png 70800F79-D208-42DD-95ED-5D59D64CE676.png Hey guys. I’ve recently got a Soundblaster X7 and AKG K712’s and although overall gaming experience is improved it seems to be lacking in regards to competitive FPS play (lately Destiny 2 pvp). I’ve been looking around for settings to optimize positional cues and footsteps especially, but really haven’t found anything that does so withought completely killing all that is good about the sound.

Some of the things that I’ve found have helped are
- Adjusting cinematic to night mode
- increasing SBX

I’ve been tweaking the EQ to try and find my sweet spot, but haven’t had any luck either. I know a lot you guys are audiophiles and have likely already fleshed this out and with me being at my wits end I’ve broken down to enlist your help!

Does anyone have EQ settings or recommendations for sound whoring withought making the game sound tin canny and congested?

I’m coming from an Astro MixAmp Pro TR paired with Sennheiser Game Ones and right now they seem to be the better setup for this. Which leads me to believe I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t know what?

I’ve got the proper settings on the PS4, bitstream Dolby, and the X7 has the Dolby light on, so I am getting SS.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edit: connections and settings

Connections

- Optical out from PS4 to X7
- Creative Bluetooth W2 in PS4 USB port (chat audio works fine btw)

PlayStation Settings & Connections

Sound and screen > Audio output settings >
- Primary output port : Digital Out (Optical)
- Audio Format: Bitstream (Dolby)

Devices > Audio Devices
- Input Device: USB Headset (Creative Bluetooth Audio W2)
- Output Device: TV or AV Amplifier, although there is an option for USB Headset (Creative Bluetooth Audio W2)...should I be using this? When I switch to it (USB Headset) it does make available the following setting which otherwise is not available: Output to Headphones along with these options All Audio or Chat Audio.

Sound Blaster X7 settings see attached...Scout mode is off

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #39,550 of 48,568
Hey guys. I’ve recently got a Soundblaster X7 and AKG K712’s and although overall gaming experience is improved it seems to be lacking in regards to competitive FPS play (lately Destiny 2 pvp). I’ve been looking around for settings to optimize positional cues and footsteps especially, but really haven’t found anything that does so withought completely killing all that is good about the sound.

Some of the things that I’ve found have helped are
- Adjusting cinematic to night mode
- increasing SBX

I’ve been tweaking the EQ to try and find my sweet spot, but haven’t had any luck either. I know a lot you guys are audiophiles and have likely already fleshed this out and with me being at my wits end I’ve broken down to enlist your help!

Does anyone have EQ settings or recommendations for sound whoring withought making the game sound tin canny and congested?

I’m coming from an Astro MixAmp Pro TR paired with Sennheiser Game Ones and right now they seem to be the better setup for this. Which leads me to believe I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t know what?

I’ve got the proper settings on the PS4, bitstream Dolby, and the X7 has the Dolby light on, so I am getting SS.

Thanks in advance everyone!
100% SBX, turn off all other enhancements, turn off Direct Mode. You can EQ the bass out to make footsteps easier to hear but that's pretty much it.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #39,551 of 48,568
For single play console gaming with Xbox and PS4, what headphones are now recommended for immersion? I like Skyrim, sports and FPS games. I am thinking the K712 Pro, HD 598 or DH990.

I cannot find the X2. I think the K712 Pro may be the right choice.

My consoles go to a Marantz AV7703 by HDMI cables and the Marantz headphone out does Dolby Headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #39,553 of 48,568
For single play console gaming with Xbox and PS4, what headphones are now recommended for immersion? I like Skyrim, sports and FPS games. I am thinking the K712 Pro, HD 598 or DH990.

I cannot find the X2. I think the K712 Pro may be the right choice.

My consoles go to a Marantz AV7703 by HDMI cables and the Marantz headphone out does Dolby Headphones.
Unfortunately Sennheiser's mechanical design isn't at level of their overall very good (bass neutral) sound.
Myself pretty much wasted ~200€ for zero support for starting to crumple in 2½ years HD595. (designed weak point)
So would recommend skipping HD5xx Sennheisers until design of ear cup to head band attaching is changed..
Or material is switched to fit for requirements of design, aka steel or other such high strength material.
That's how mechanically bad that fashionable looking design is.

I guess you meant DT990 when even Google can't find anything for DH990...
Those Beyerdynamics (I got after HD595s) were designed 30 years ago in time when durability was one of design priorities.
Month ago in Finnish PC forum one person was looking if there are any wireless open headphones with same class sound quality as his 89 vintage DT990...
You could even replace most parts with just couple basic tools... in fact all if you count soldering iron into basic tools.
They sure deliver good balance between details and fun bass immersion.
Also head band design has very good adjustments, so with very soft velour pads comfort should be good for about any size head.

AKG's "automatic adjustment" is lot more challenged and partially relying on pressure to keep cups in their places.
If you have head shape which is wide at top and narrower below they might try to slip down.
For sound they have even bigger soundstage and more depth/distance separation.
Bass/fun factor is little below DT990, but for Dolby Headphone that should fit because it tends to be heavy on bass.

Recently did direct comparison including also K702.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...game-one-added.534479/page-2632#post-13920657

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #39,554 of 48,568
Unfortunately Sennheiser's mechanical design isn't at level of their overall very good (bass neutral) sound.
Myself pretty much wasted ~200€ for zero support for starting to crumple in 2½ years HD595. (designed weak point)
So would recommend skipping HD5xx Sennheisers until design of ear cup to head band attaching is changed..
Or material is switched to fit for requirements of design, aka steel or other such high strength material.
That's how mechanically bad that fashionable looking design is.

I guess you meant DT990 when even Google can't find anything for DH990...
Those Beyerdynamics (I got after HD595s) were designed 30 years ago in time when durability was one of design priorities.
Month ago in Finnish PC forum one person was looking if there are any wireless open headphones with same class sound quality as his 89 vintage DT990...
You could even replace most parts with just couple basic tools... in fact all if you count soldering iron into basic tools.
They sure deliver good balance between details and fun bass immersion.
Also head band design has very good adjustments, so with very soft velour pads comfort should be good for about any size head.

AKG's "automatic adjustment" is lot more challenged and partially relying on pressure to keep cups in their places.
If you have head shape which is wide at top and narrower below they might try to slip down.
For sound they have even bigger soundstage and more depth/distance separation.
Bass/fun factor is little below DT990, but for Dolby Headphone that should fit because it tends to be heavy on bass.

Recently did direct comparison including also K702.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...game-one-added.534479/page-2632#post-13920657

Thanks! Which of the three have the least sound leakage if any of them?

Also, is the treble spike and recessed mids of the DT990 a problem gaming? The K712 Pro sounds more like it might be better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back