Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #39,556 of 48,576
Myself pretty much wasted ~200€ for zero support for starting to crumple in 2½ years HD595. (designed weak point)
Hey EsaT,
I reached out to you a while ago, because I’m sponsored by Sennheiser and wanted to see if I could get you some help. I’m offering a second time: please PM me so I can get some details and see if we can’t resolve this.

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #39,557 of 48,576
I'll definitely look into these things soon. You guys make me wanna do more by this thread and you guys.

Perhaps even learn to jump cut/edit videos hahaha. I'll have to ask my brother who's learned a little.

Dude, plenty of people here who would help you get off the ground. Sure, there may be some hurdles to pass, but you’ll thank yourself for trying and taking the chance.

If you can’t talk to yourself, you’ve got familiar voices/regulars in this thread who could talk to you, and help get you started with friendly banter. A few days ahead of time, gotta say something like “Let’s try this Tuesday 10 PM eastern... we’ll soundwhore our way to victory!” That’s more of a premise for a show than Seinfeld, and people loved that!

@Yethal
Sorry I didn’t say anything on Friday, I came down with the flu two days after Christmas. Near totally incapacitated me for a few days, but back at it today!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #39,558 of 48,576
Thanks! Which of the three have the least sound leakage if any of them?

Also, is the treble spike and recessed mids of the DT990 a problem gaming? The K712 Pro sounds more like it might be better.
There's very little meaningful difference in all open/"semi"-open headphones.
If environment is noisy you're going to hear those noises, with different cans just having different "nuance" in upper mids/treble.
And in quiet environment if there's someone close to you he's going to hear a bit, though at hearing safe volumes that sound simply won't carry far.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.p...e=30&graphType=6&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

In binaural gaming (or movies) DT990's treble isn't really problem (also K712 has some bump in treble) and neither are mids.
In fact binaural sound seems to like little more distant and analyzing mids instead of more pushy ones.
This is what MLE says about so hyped HD650 in thread's start:
The DT990 destroys the HD650 in both depth and width. So how's the air within the soundstage? Well, the problem with the HD650, is that it's a very full sounding headphone. Thick, warm tone tends to make the soundstage seems less airy and smaller...
Positioning and soundstage tend to go hand in hand, so if the soundstage isn't great, the positional cues will suffer. How did the HD650 fare positional-wise? Well, they were good. Not great, and could obviously be better, but they do their job.
Does that sound good for HD650's sound signature/type, if it takes heavy beating from DT990 in both soundstage and positioning?

K712 with even bigger soundstage wins DT990 in competitiveness.
Again DT990 has edge in bass immersion.
That would be pretty good summary between them.

If you have nearby some shop with DT880/990 and K700-serie AKGs that could tell how their comfort feels to you.
IMO DT990 has edge in comfort with less feel of pressure.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #39,559 of 48,576
There's very little meaningful difference in all open/"semi"-open headphones.
If environment is noisy you're going to hear those noises, with different cans just having different "nuance" in upper mids/treble.
And in quiet environment if there's someone close to you he's going to hear a bit, though at hearing safe volumes that sound simply won't carry far.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=4163&graphID[1]=2141&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=30&graphType=6&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

In binaural gaming (or movies) DT990's treble isn't really problem (also K712 has some bump in treble) and neither are mids.
In fact binaural sound seems to like little more distant and analyzing mids instead of more pushy ones.
This is what MLE says about so hyped HD650 in thread's start:
The DT990 destroys the HD650 in both depth and width. So how's the air within the soundstage? Well, the problem with the HD650, is that it's a very full sounding headphone. Thick, warm tone tends to make the soundstage seems less airy and smaller...
Positioning and soundstage tend to go hand in hand, so if the soundstage isn't great, the positional cues will suffer. How did the HD650 fare positional-wise? Well, they were good. Not great, and could obviously be better, but they do their job.
Does that sound good for HD650's sound signature/type, if it takes heavy beating from DT990 in both soundstage and positioning?

K712 with even bigger soundstage wins DT990 in competitiveness.
Again DT990 has edge in bass immersion.
That would be pretty good summary between them.

If you have nearby some shop with DT880/990 and K700-serie AKGs that could tell how their comfort feels to you.
IMO DT990 has edge in comfort with less feel of pressure.

Thanks. No one near me carries either brand. It sounds like the DT990 is the right choice for me as a 100% gaming headphone on consoles. I only play single player games - no online. My headphone outs are Dolby headphone.

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #39,561 of 48,576
Happy New Year! Hope everyone's well.

I have an interesting situation that came up about a week ago. My right side of the akg k7xx headphones stopped working and apparently it is a common issue, I opened it up and found the culprit. One of the wires(red one) broke off the solder. I was wondering since im already at it, can I upgrade the internal wires and just resolder em all with the upgraded wire? The current ones are so thin. I have some 8 awg thick insulated oxygen free copper speaker wire lying around, would that work? or is it too thick? Or do you guys recommend i use some silver wire or something? Also what would be the best for the soldering?

In my field its bad to mix dissimilar metals such as copper and silver ect, which is why im concerned about which type and size of wire should I use as with what type of solder for speakers. I dont know how sensitive speakers are.

I also plan to cut the wires to exact lengths to ensure consistency. the wire that broke from the solder is already shorter than the rest :frowning2:.

Thanks in advanced.

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #39,562 of 48,576
@Yethal
Sorry I didn’t say anything on Friday, I came down with the flu two days after Christmas. Near totally incapacitated me for a few days, but
back at it today!
Don't stress it Evs, I know you're a busy man.
Happy New Year! Hope everyone's well.

I have an interesting situation that came up about a week ago. My right side of the akg k7xx headphones stopped working and apparently it is a common issue, I opened it up and found the culprit. One of the wires(red one) broke off the solder. I was wondering since im already at it, can I upgrade the internal wires and just resolder em all with the upgraded wire? The current ones are so thin. I have some 8 awg thick insulated oxygen free copper speaker wire lying around, would that work? or is it too thick? Or do you guys recommend i use some silver wire or something? Also what would be the best for the soldering?

In my field its bad to mix dissimilar metals such as copper and silver ect, which is why im concerned about which type and size of wire should I use as with what type of solder for speakers. I dont know how sensitive speakers are.

I also plan to cut the wires to exact lengths to ensure consistency. the wire that broke from the solder is already shorter than the rest :frowning2:.

Thanks in advanced.
Definitely too thick, try 26AWG instead. And once you're at it, rewiring the entire headphone might be a good idea.

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #39,565 of 48,576
Just received my AKG K712 Pro headphones and they fit my head perfectly. They are so light. They also sound really good out of my Wells Audio Milo. I think I made the right decision for gaming headphones. They are even good at music, but they are not in the league of my main music headphones costing much more money.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #39,566 of 48,576
Lightweight is definitely a PRIME parameter when choosing a gaming headphone, which is why I barely used the wood-cup headphones I used to have. @bunnynamedfrank has them now, I think, and he also had the K712. He’s a funny dude... his upgrade path went speakers > AKG K712 > ZMF Vibro > Phillips SHP 9500 and sometimes his ZMF Ori, but these days he mostly games with his Sennheiser HD 600 and mod mic.

That Milo is a BEAST of an amp! Sometimes I game with @Hansotek, who is also a big proponent of the Milo!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #39,567 of 48,576
hmm, anyone recommend the best solder? i couldt find any decent one on amazon. it was all tin based ones :*(
Tin based ones should be fine. My buddy who solders pretty frequently recommends this stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJX6

There were specific parts that he would use lead-free solder with for Cavalli Audio, but apparently it’s a pain to work with.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #39,568 of 48,576
Guys, can you help or guide me? Taking into account the following characteristics = Bass quality, Sound stage, Imaging. It has to be extremely pleasing for long continuous use, non-fatiguing.

What is the best closed-back headphone for gaming = Yenona Adapter-Free DJ Headphones, ISK MDH9000 or Takstar Pro 82?

What is the best open-back or semi-open headphone for gaming = Superlux HD668B, Superlux HD681 EVO, Samson SR850 or Philips SHP9500S?

What is the best USB DAC + AMP headphone for gaming (To connect to the PS4's USB port) = SMSL M3 or Sabaj D2?

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #39,569 of 48,576
Guys, can you help or guide me? Taking into account the following characteristics = Bass quality, Sound stage, Imaging. It has to be extremely pleasing for long continuous use, non-fatiguing.

What is the best closed-back headphone for gaming = Yenona Adapter-Free DJ Headphones, ISK MDH9000 or Takstar Pro 82?

What is the best open-back or semi-open headphone for gaming = Superlux HD668B, Superlux HD681 EVO, Samson SR850 or Philips SHP9500S?

What is the best USB DAC + AMP headphone for gaming (To connect to the PS4's USB port) = SMSL M3 or Sabaj D2?
Funny that you mention ISK MDH9000. I recently met a guy who claims these headphones are the T50RP of dynamics (amazing driver in a terrible enclosure) and that modding can elevate them to $500 bracket as far as SQ goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back