Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #45,946 of 48,568
I am using game chat. I am thinking of buying the Arctis 7p until the mixamp is released. I am not sure if I am sold on the Audeze Penrose as I have a big head being 6'6" and I am not sure wireless can hold a candle to my Sennheisers.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #45,947 of 48,568
It would if you do not have HDMI 2.1 capability to gain 4k@120hz. I specifically spent 1700 dollars on a new TV to get HDMI 2.1 plus the cost of the PS5 and do not want my headphone adapter to limit me to HDMI 2.0B and 4k@60hz. At that point, might as well of stayed on PS4.

I understand your point, but which games have 4K@120Hz? At that resolution and frame rate, everything else (textures, poylygon count, ray-tracing, etc) will be sacrified no?

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #45,949 of 48,568
Have you tried the Penrose yet? I’m 6’6” with a pretty big head and the Penrose is just fine for me.
I literally just bought the 7p on Best Buy along with a PS5 for my nephew. I will try the 7p, if I do not like it I will pass it down to my nephew. I have messaged Audeze and they have not responded yet so I have not ordered it.

I understand your point, but which games have 4K@120Hz? At that resolution and frame rate, everything else (textures, poylygon count, ray-tracing, etc) will be sacrified no?
Cold War runs 4k@120hz

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #45,951 of 48,568
iirc, only the hud runs at 4k. The actual game runs around 1080p in performance mode.

I would be concerned about variable refresh support though with that adapter.
Regardless I am not going to add a device to my setup that degrades it, doesnt make sense or future proof anything. Astro dropped the ball with that adapter. I would pay 150 dollars for a HDMI 2.1 adapter or 200 for a mixamp that allows volume mixing on the PS5. To me money isnt the deciding factor, quality is.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #45,952 of 48,568
I have been reading through this guide and responses the last few days trying to push me into a decision. For non-competitive gaming, I have worked my way down between the Ananda and LCD-GX, anyone have thoughts on how to make the final call or experience in comparing the two?

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #45,953 of 48,568
Guys, I have a Sennheiser HD 598 plugged in a Sennheiser GSX 1000, but I want to get rid of cables. Because of that I'm looking for a Wireless Headset which I'll use ONLY for gaming on PC and PS5. After a research I found these options:

1) Audeze Penrose
2) Logitech G PRO X Wireless Lightspeed
3) Astro A50 Gen 4 Wireless
4) Steelseries Arctis 7P
5) Steelseries Arctis 7 2017/2019

Are they a good choice? Are they comparable to the HD 598? Which one should I get?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #45,955 of 48,568
For those that have the G6 set up, will the PS5 allow mic input from the DualSense controller and audio output via G6 simultaneously?

I know with the PS4, whenever the G6 was detected, it only allowed you to use both input and output from the G6. Was curious if they changed it for the PS5. Thanks in advance!

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #45,956 of 48,568
For those that have the G6 set up, will the PS5 allow mic input from the DualSense controller and audio output via G6 simultaneously?

I know with the PS4, whenever the G6 was detected, it only allowed you to use both input and output from the G6. Was curious if they changed it for the PS5. Thanks in advance!
I haven’t actually tried chatting but yes I’m pretty sure you can select the controller as the input and the g6 as the output.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #45,957 of 48,568
Good news over the past few days - my Creative G6 warranty replacement arrived.

Bad news - I can't get on with the Penrose - in particular the comfort across the top of the head. Plus, having used the G6 with the Beyer Tygr R on Warzone, I realise only Open Backed will do - the Penrose are still too closed/congested sounding to make that game enjoyable for me when playing in a party.

Seems I'm destined to have to stick to a cabled PS5 solution (until someone makes an open backed wireless headset :frowning2: )

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #45,958 of 48,568
Good news over the past few days - my Creative G6 warranty replacement arrived.

Bad news - I can't get on with the Penrose - in particular the comfort across the top of the head. Plus, having used the G6 with the Beyer Tygr R on Warzone, I realise only Open Backed will do - the Penrose are still too closed/congested sounding to make that game enjoyable for me when playing in a party.

Seems I'm destined to have to stick to a cabled PS5 solution (until someone makes an open backed wireless headset :frowning2: )
what is wrong in warzone? are the footsteps bad?

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #45,959 of 48,568
what is wrong in warzone? are the footsteps bad?

It's probably a combination of Warzone audio in general plus the closed back nature of the Penrose. I just prefer the open backed headphone sound in games like this - just feels much more natural and believable which for me makes it easier to hear and place important sounds like footsteps. Not really a criticism of the Penrose it's just that everything sounds to me like its between my ears whereas the Tygr R and PC38x I have are much, much wider/more expansive.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #45,960 of 48,568
It's probably a combination of Warzone audio in general plus the closed back nature of the Penrose. I just prefer the open backed headphone sound in games like this - just feels much more natural and believable which for me makes it easier to hear and place important sounds like footsteps. Not really a criticism of the Penrose it's just that everything sounds to me like its between my ears whereas the Tygr R and PC38x I have are much, much wider/more expansive.
Thank you. I use the Game One plus mixamp currently. I have the Penrose that will hopefully be delivered today and the 7p delivered on Monday. I have only used open headphones as well. I will let you know what I think as it seems we have similar setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back