Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #811 of 48,579

Quote:
Hi, my KSC75 just died so i'm looking for a new gaming headphone.
Considering about Koss Pro DJ 100 and JVC HA-RX700, which are at the same price $70-80 and available at my location.
Do they worth the money upgrading from KSC75 or just buy a new one ?
Any advice ?

Well If my KSC75 died on me, I would replace them (and they actually have, and I did - LOL)

But seriously:

There are a couple of HD555 on the for sale forum for $50, and you can't go wrong for that price.  They would be an upgrade for gaming.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/544640/sennheiser-hd555-shipping-included-for-conus
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/544725/sennheiser-hd-555-50-shipped

I think Koss has a lifetime warranty on the KSC75, so if you pay $5 shipping or something Koss will replace them.

So I would go that route ^, and get some 555's if it were me....

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #812 of 48,579
Oh, and welcome to Head-fi!

beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #813 of 48,579

Quote:
The drivers don't muffle on another. The sound was clear, but I do think many people won't deal well with it because it is just too much information, but I just loved. I could hear everything from everywhere, in gears of war 2 for example I could locate everyone in the map.  With dolby digital, I would have to turn the volume way high to hear things I can hear with lower volumes using multiple drivers headset.

The ability to locate everyone is a result of major colouring of the sound. Sure, it does give you an artificially boosted edge.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #814 of 48,579

Really awesome thread! So helpful. You mentioned that you can get a Sennheiser PC360 for $180. Where can I buy this headset for this price? Is this for a used one? Any help would be great!

Thank you

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #815 of 48,579

Really awesome thread! So helpful. You mentioned that you can get a Sennheiser PC360 for $180. Where can I buy this headset for this price? Is this for a used one? Any help would be great!

Thank you

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=sennheiser+pc+360&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Just put a bid on one of the 179.95 ones, there are usually no other people bidding.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #816 of 48,579
Why do a lot of people hate true surround sound, it's impossible to tell people what's best for them. I have mixamp + ad700 and there really is no positioning on this for me, so now I just stick with my TV speakers.. I'll probably get a good surround sound setup for xbox and hopefully works better.. can't be worse, only thing worse is just standard stereo.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #817 of 48,579
Coloring of sound? lol! what about the sound from dolby headphones?. lol

Quote:
The ability to locate everyone is a result of major colouring of the sound. Sure, it does give you an artificially boosted edge.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #818 of 48,579
Give a try on the sharkoon xtatic digital. They are not very comfortable, a bit heavy, audio quality not on par with many good headphones around. But in terms of surround sound, simply amazing. Watching movies with the sharkoon was a funtastic experience.

Quote:
Why do a lot of people hate true surround sound, it's impossible to tell people what's best for them. I have mixamp + ad700 and there really is no positioning on this for me, so now I just stick with my TV speakers.. I'll probably get a good surround sound setup for xbox and hopefully works better.. can't be worse, only thing worse is just standard stereo.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #819 of 48,579

Quote:
... I have mixamp + ad700 and there really is no positioning on this for me, so now I just stick with my TV speakers.. I'll probably get a good surround sound setup for xbox and hopefully works better.. can't be worse, only thing worse is just standard stereo.

That seems, suspicious.  If you can't get good positioning from AD700s and a Mixamp....something's not right..

You should check your setup to make everything is correct and your not getting pro logic instead (are you using optical, Xbox set to DD 5.1, Dolby headphone toggled ON?)

Listen to this clip with your AD700's, and if you can't hear positioning with that, you should probably give up on using headphones for gaming...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkunPQMhN4

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #820 of 48,579
Yeah, something ain't right. If you can't reliably pinpoint directional sounds with the AD700 + Mixamp, I wouldn't even bother with surround headsets either.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #821 of 48,579
Think I tried the that link and also the virtual haircut thing, and both sounded good, and that's with realtek onboard.. Using an optical cable for xbox but also tried RCA and it's same, barely hear footsteps.. 5.1 set on xbox and right light on mixamp is glowing.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #822 of 48,579
If you're trying to pinpoint footsetps in BLACK OPS, then you won't be happy with ANY headphone. Black Ops just doesn't offer good audio cues or footsteps compared to other games. Also, some games don't put a lot of stock to footsteps the way CoD4 and MW2 do. YMMV. If you're only going off footsteps, that's where you're making a mistake. Even a good cheap headphone like the KSC75 can pick up micro details in gaming, as long as there IS micro details to pick up.

Focus on positional accuracy, and not just the level of detail coming from the Mixamp + AD700. The AD700 is a detail whore, and if you can't hear footsteps, then that's because the footsteps just aren't emphasized enough for you to hear them. Also, contrary to popular belief, you won't be able to hear footsteps of people who use Ninja Pro or Dead Silence. You can hear your OWN if you have those perks equiped, however. There's so much BULLCRAP going on about how a particular headset can pick out enemies using those perks, and it's a blatant lie. I've used so many headphones (including the detail monster K701), and I've gone to private rooms with people using Ninja Pro and Dead Silence. You CAN'T hear their footsteps.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #823 of 48,579
I play both MW2 and BlackOps, but I rarely hear people who're close, and I don't think many use Ninja Pro in MW2.. What cables people using for video, maybe that's reason? For a long time I used VGA, using SCART on this TV is awful, but going to try that for a few games and see how it goes.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #824 of 48,579
Hey,
I dont have an amp for the 990/32. I plug them directly into my macbook and/or iphone and the volume is more than loud; I wont even put it on max volume. They can be driven pretty easily.

As far as the treble, its definitely a "bright" sounding headphone, but I really dont mind it that much. The reason is mainly because the sound it produces is so clear and the fact you are really able to hear the entire sound spectrum make the excessive treble fine. I will admit that at first the treble was fatiguing (that paired with the "clamping" caused me to need to take a break) but I got used to it fairly quickly and now they are great. Also, I use the iTunes EQ and add more bass and mids to the sound.

I'm also using them with the mixamp for gaming and they are excellent. They even work with a mic attached to them (maybe 1 o'clock on the volume, 1 o'clock for game/voice).

I definitely recommend them!
Quote:
Hey shimbibby,
-when you're listening to music, are you using an amp or are your plugging directly into laptop/mp3 player?
-whats your opinion on the treble, is it bothersome? 

I just got my mixamp today but waiting for a good deal on the 990/32 to splurge on.  Meanwhile, I'll have to use the Senn HD201s or my surround sound.  Oh well, gotta be patient.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #825 of 48,579
What? Lol, no. Just use an toslink optical cable. They all have the same exact SQ as long as there is no disruption.

If you have been using the Mixamp + AD700 and can't hear footsteps, then everyone must be:

using Ninja Pro
crouching as they walk
not moving at all.

Those are the only three examples where you won't be to hear footsteps. That, or you have problems hearing, sorry. I can pick up footsteps with even the crappiest headphone with the Mixamp, as long as one of the 3 above examples aren't happening.

Also, make sure your Xbox is set to Dolby Digital, not Digital Stereo.

The cable might have to run from the system directly to the Mixamp, as running an optical to the TV to the Mixamp, you are more than likely using a downconverted signal which makes everything Stereo. Lots of TVs don't have optical passthrough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back