Massdrop Collaborations ....What IF?
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.

MASSDROP COLLABORATIONS... WHAT IF?​

With the recent success of the THX00 and previous success of the AKG K7XX it seems like MassDrop is very adept at making sensible collaborations that make great sound to the masses more accessible. Whether it be because the price is lower,  the sound signature is less polarizing, or both; Massdrop is such a great catalyst and vehicle for bring things closer to ideal. 

Below I have listed a few headphones that may be really awesome to see MASSDROP Collab to make new versions of. 

You can vote. If you think this is stupid or inappropriate because Massdrop already has polls I understand. I just posted this here because there may be some that would like their opinions more easily heard as the Massdrop polls are for existing products.

- Vote on as many as you like
-Make suggestions
- Give a thumbs up to suggestions you agree with

​

^FOR STARTERS^

*Please do no take offense to the suggestions below. They are not meant to reflect my opinion of them. They are just suggestions. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 86
The hd700 is a pretty divisive headphone with some people, would love to see what Massdrop would do with those

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 86
Nice thinking @grizzlybeast

Out of those I see a lot of potential in a retuned HD700 as well.  Mostly because it's a really comfortable headphone surpassing the HD800 imo. Another retune vote for the dissapointing Z7. Needs more body/low end for sure.
My personal nomination goes out to the HD600. Gimme slightly less mid bass and aim for less shouty which it can be at its worst moments. Will frikkin buy!

Edit: slightly? why slightly?

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 86
  Nice thinking @grizzlybeast

Out of those I see a lot of potential in a retuned HD700 as well.  Mostly because it's a really comfortable headphone surpassing the HD800 imo. Another retune vote for the dissapointing Z7. Needs more body/low end for sure.
My personal nomination goes out to the HD600. Gimme slightly less mid bass and aim for less shouty which it can be at its worst moments. Will frikkin buy!

Edit: slightly? why slightly?

never heard the hd600 but they say its similar to the hd600 now but I kinda like the 650 midbass. I can understand though for sure. alot of people dont like too much midbass and prefer sub bass. 

I would like:

MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD65X in BLACK with better bass extension. I just say 650 because it scales higher than the hd600. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 86
Someone get WillBright in here, we need this HD7xx to happen!

The most logical collaboration outside of another AKG or Fostex would probably be some kind of Sennheiser product if Massdrop does another headphone I'd imagine.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 86
  Someone get WillBright in here, we need this HD7xx to happen!

The most logical collaboration outside of another AKG or Fostex would probably be some kind of Sennheiser product if Massdrop does another headphone I'd imagine.

Who knows, since Sennheiser is making the HD 800S now, they might end up revising the HD 700 themselves too!
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 86
not exactly a choice (I picked the SRXXX) instead, but given the idea behind a lot of their collabs (reviving the D7000 essentially with the THX00), I'd like a Grado Bushmills clone, maybe slightly retuned.  

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 86
A lot of people like Audeze. They would be my fav company if they were more affordable but they are third for me behind hifiman and Sennheiser. They need help in pricing. Technically they are always beaten by a lower priced model that isn't balanced as well. If they even made a plastic version with the same driver or something it would sell like madd. A 799 lcd M(for massdrop since they have the x) id buy one for sure.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 86
Hey Guys, 

This is pretty flattering, I'm always impressed when people care enough to approach me with suggestions, let alone make a thread to aggregate suggestions and discuss possibilities. 

Getting to the business, your suggestions are all pretty good. Quick thoughts on some of them: 

K8XX

This was an obvious next step after the K7XX and I went after it immediately. Obvious problems, easy(ish) solutions, all hashed out in reviews and threads. Sadly, didn't work out because flagships are perfect products... three months wasted there. Might revisit this at some point. 

PM-X

Haven't reached out to OPPO, what would you guys want to see here? I've heard all the PM headphones, impressive stuff (PM-2 and PM-3 especially) with the Audio Zenith PM-2 was a clear step up IMO. 

Audeze LCD-M

Could be cool, but volume would be a challenge and as a newer company, all their R&D resources are planned out on existing projects. When we're working with a company like AKG or Senn (both have been around for over 60 years) we have the luxury of working with a ton of R&D resources and existing toolings. Both things a company accumulates over time and Audeze, despite moving incredibly fast and developing super cool stuff, doesn't have 50 years worth of R&D hires and tooling to pull from. 

I think there are some cool things to be done between Audeze and Massdrop, but it's probably not the right time. 

MDR-X7

Reached out to Sony some time ago, conversation didn't lead to anything meaningful. Again, lots of reasons why this might happen, hopefully we'll get a chance to start the conversation again. 

When I did reach out, the Z7 was a side-note. I was gunning for the MDR-3000 and R10. Anyway, probably keeping this on ice given Sony's response, but let's keep the conversation moving. 

Ultrasone

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Ultrasone. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" - Winston Churchill 

Humor aside, I've never talked with anyone in Ultrasone management, I have no understanding of their strategy and I have no experience with their products. I've read all the famous reviews, but I'm not sure there's much we can do together. Pls explain why that's an incorrect, closed minded perspective. 

Grado

No great economies of scale here (downsides to producing everything brooklyn), but I'm curious to hear what you guys think we could do with Grado. I've never been a big fan of their products but my preferences don't matter in the scope of creating a successful collaboration.  

This covers most of the important players in headphones, what about something on the Amp, DAC, or Speaker side? 

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 86
This covers most of the important players in headphones, what about something on the Amp, DAC, or Speaker side? 

Man, that collaboration product with Grace Digital had my head turning, so this is tough. I guess I can throw some names out: Schiit Audio, Cavalli Audio, NAD, and Sonus Faber would be some of my picks. I would pick McIntosh but can only dream... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back