Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 15, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #61 of 2,033
Too bad it's only 1,000 units! These will sell out fast... I need time to plan purchases like this. If it was at least 5,000 units spread with the drop over two weeks or so I could plan it. But I expect them to sell out in a day or less. I literally just bought AEON Flow Open for the same price just about a week ago. Still going through the burn in and I know I'll love them. But I think based on Jude's video, I'd love these too! Hope they drop back soon!

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #62 of 2,033
Too bad it's only 1,000 units! These will sell out fast... I need time to plan purchases like this. If it was at least 5,000 units spread with the drop over two weeks or so I could plan it. But I expect them to sell out in a day or less. I literally just bought AEON Flow Open for the same price just about a week ago. Still going through the burn in and I know I'll love them. But I think based on Jude's video, I'd love these too! Hope they drop back soon!
I know, right? I just got the Beyerdynamic dt 1990s. These look great and seem like they will sound great too.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #63 of 2,033
First three posts glowing reviews, including video review. This is what puts some people off Head-fi, it feels a bit too staged.

Not sure if it's necessary a bad thing. I think this level of collaboration is natural if not beneficial to everyone. I pre-ordered LCD2 Classic without reading any (not even a word) on its sound. I still haven't read a single review of it. I sincerely wish Audeze had staged their launch like Focal did.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #64 of 2,033
I've added photos and shot a video (post having a bad cold and with the wrong mic settings, but it should answer some questions).

First three posts glowing reviews, including video review. This is what puts some people off Head-fi, it feels a bit too staged.

Yes, it IS. But, that being said, nobody had any idea what my impressions would be until I posted them 2 minutes after Jude posted his video, nor what Anakchan's would be beforehand (his arrived yesterday and he has only just opened them). After Will and Jude arranged to send the headphones to me, other than Will filling me in on the background to the design, there has been no correspondence. None of the people I know who have them would post what we did if we didn't think they were good. In my case, I'm very carefully to point out where people might not like them, so that people can make an informed decision (as far as possible).

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #65 of 2,033
At $799 I doubt a 1000 units would sell fast... Just speculating, but I would guess several hundred units will not sell at all by the end of the drop. That leads me to believe another drop in a month or two for the remaining units...

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #66 of 2,033
At $799 I doubt a 1000 units would sell fast... Just speculating, but I would guess several hundred units will not sell at all by the end of the drop. That leads me to believe another drop in a month or two for the remaining units...

Last I looked on the site, they had 1500 requests for the drop already.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #67 of 2,033

True but the T-X0 drop had 3 times as many requests as there were headphones and they almost didn't sell them all within the time limit. And that was a known one-off, never to be made again, at only $150. My point is number of requests ≠ number of buyers.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #68 of 2,033

True but the T-X0 drop had 3 times as many requests as there were headphones and they almost didn't sell them all within the time limit. And that was a known one-off, never to be made again, at only $150. My point is number of requests ≠ number of buyers.

Exactly!!
Click on the request button is free... Join the drop is $799 (+tax for some).

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #69 of 2,033

I'm guessing there will be 400 sold by end of day on Monday and the rest will be gone before the end of the week.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #70 of 2,033
Exactly!!
Click on the request button is free... Join the drop is $799 (+tax for some).

Same thing happened with EC ZDT Jr as well. People were waking up early to jump on it and only around 260 of the 375 got fulfilled. I think this Elex is definitely an interesting prospect, but for essentially a pad swap it won't convince Elear owners to upgrade or Clear owners to downgrade. It is really aimed at the people that had issues with Elear (or got scared off by reviews), but can't afford to go for Clear. I'm not sure how many people fall in that specific category.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #71 of 2,033

how would the AEONs compare with these? Those got raving reviews as well. AHH decisions decisions

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #72 of 2,033
buy a 3d printed ring and experiment with different pads and there you have all 3 focal headphones

having many different pads under my belly its fun how i can get different sound signatures and i all invested was 50 usd , now my elear can have so many different sound signatures

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #74 of 2,033
I guess I've been confused by their slogan, 'Massdrop Made'. Made me believe Massdrop was a manufacturer and built what they sell.

Whether a Massdrop collaboration is made by Massdrop or by the original manufacturer varies from item to item on an individual basis. As is clearly indicated on the drop page for the Elex, it is being manufactured in France by Focal.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #75 of 2,033
I was considering the Elear at $999.99 but this Elex may be the one to get at $799.99...
But I just saw this at Moon Audio:
FOCAL ELEAR HEADPHONES $799.00

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back