Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 4, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #631 of 2,033
Pretty sure but not perfectly. I've tried several different apps on my s8 to get a ballpark & they all fall right around the same area. I don't have any technically technical equipment to get an "actual" read though unfortunately.

Not that this will fix your issue, but it couldn't hurt for the future to have a cheap db meter. I know that on my phone it will usually cap around 80-85 and won't read higher no matter how much louder the sound actually is.

I know in the early days of Elear people seemed to have two different issues:
1) It would pop and crack during normal listening on any volume level
2) Over-excursion of the driver causing mechanical "clipping" at high volume levels

Either way people returned them, got a good pair in their hands and went on down the road. You may also be driving them to much higher levels than 80-85db as well though, hard to tell what's going on.

May 4, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #632 of 2,033
Not that this will fix your issue, but it couldn't hurt for the future to have a cheap db meter. I know that on my phone it will usually cap around 80-85 and won't read higher no matter how much louder the sound actually is.

I know in the early days of Elear people seemed to have two different issues:
1) It would pop and crack during normal listening on any volume level
2) Over-excursion of the driver causing mechanical "clipping" at high volume levels

Either way people returned them, got a good pair in their hands and went on down the road. You may also be driving them to much higher levels than 80-85db as well though, hard to tell what's going on.
I had the first problem with the first pair, seems like the second with this pair. I just bought a cheap one on Amazon so I'll have a real number on Sunday.

May 4, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #634 of 2,033
I have a similar slappa case that I use for my HD 6XX and just tried it with the Elex. The Elex is too big unless you pinch the earcups together. If you are okay with that, it would make a nice snug case.

This is the case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...+hard+case&dpPl=1&dpID=51SSiVMUCsL&ref=plSrch
I ordered the insanely expensive Focal case... I travel a lot and am hoping that the specialized case will be small enough that I can carry it in my carryon and enjoy while on the road. We shall see!

May 4, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #635 of 2,033
It does kind of sound like you got unlucky twice in a row. Will they let you try one more return? They couldn't have made them all ****ty lol.
I haven't contacted the support team yet, but at this point I don't think I want a third pair. Maybe I have them too loud, maybe they cut too many corners trying to get the price this low. Time will tell.

May 4, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #637 of 2,033
I haven't contacted the support team yet, but at this point I don't think I want a third pair. Maybe I have them too loud, maybe they cut too many corners trying to get the price this low. Time will tell.

I'm curious what serial number you got in each of the pairs... Were they similar? If anyone else is having issues, is the number close to these two? This is probably reaching.

For reference, I have pair #20 and tried cranking the volume past my comfortable listening level and did not hit any distortion.

May 4, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #638 of 2,033
I'm curious what serial number you got in each of the pairs... Were they similar? If anyone else is having issues, is the number close to these two? This is probably reaching.

For reference, I have pair and tried cranking the volume past my comfortable listening level and did not hit any distortion.
I had the same thought. First pair was 730, new pair 93. Pretty big disparity. Does your driver rattle at all at high volumes?

May 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #640 of 2,033
Well, no smoking gun there...

I have not experienced any rattle at all in my pair.
Oh...ok...

giphy.gif

May 4, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #642 of 2,033
Oh...ok...

giphy.gif
Same here, albeit I have been on the road much of the time I have had them so I haven't had much time with them... No build or sound issues...

I really hope this works out for you... I seriously think these have potential...

May 4, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #643 of 2,033
I Iisten to mine sometimes around 85-90db and I do not get any distortion or rattle. I have also tested bass test tones from 100hz down to 20hz at the same dB levels and still did not hear anything like you describe. Could your amp be contributing to your issue?

May 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #644 of 2,033
My pair had clicking in the left cup, no music playing, or with music playing, but the problem is a mechanical build problem. They are going back to Massdrop. Same issues were noted with some Elear and even Utopia.

May 5, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #645 of 2,033
Click does seem to be a better term for what's happening now that I really took a listen to it. I'm unsure about whether or not I want another pair. After doing another listening session I do think I enjoy the Elex more than my HE-560. I'm not sure I enjoy it $350 more though. I think the HE-560 is more comfortable too actually, my ear seems to JUST barely not touch the metal part inside the cups on the Elex.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back