Massdrop x Grace Design SDAC - a budget beast
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #166 of 180
Hello,

I bought the SDAC and I am really impressed with the sound quality. Detailed and clean.

Also impressed by the affordable price and elegant design, it's easy to install. The packaging is environment friendly, perfect.

I use: SDAC ---> Lake People G103S ---> Sennheiser HD800S

I recommend this DAC. :) Thank you Grace Design and Drop :)

Yes, I really like it as well (paired with Monolith Liquid Spark).

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #168 of 180
I've owned Grace Sdac balanced for 2 weeks, sound really good, especially for my Beyerdynamic DT880
sss.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #170 of 180
Tagging a few contributors to ask for suggestions. Where does or did one go for a ''across the board'' €500-ish upgrade? New or used, can't be Schitt or Audio-GD ; )
@project86 @Baten @ohcrapgorillas @snip3r77 @BrokeSkoolBoi @Svperstar
I am using an Aune X8 'magic DAC' and enjoy it a lot. I bought mine here
https://www.hifistudio79.nl/product/aune-x8-magical-dac-32-768k-dsd512-opamp-changeable/?lang=en
I swapped in a MUSES amp but you can also go for Burson, Sparkos etc.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #173 of 180
I am using an Aune X8 'magic DAC' and enjoy it a lot. I bought mine here
https://www.hifistudio79.nl/product/aune-x8-magical-dac-32-768k-dsd512-opamp-changeable/?lang=en
I swapped in a MUSES amp but you can also go for Burson, Sparkos etc.

Quite interesting actually. Not a brand I put first on my list. In a review a comparison was made to the Burson Swing for which goes the same. To emphasize the upgrade question, from what you wrote (years ago) it seemed that you liked the SDAC a lot but do you feel that the X8 is a clear step up? A tier above or even two is my goal.

Does it need to be a pure DAC, or do you have use for headphone output or pre-amp capabilites?

Nice to have you in :) DAC is the focus here. The less is more connectivity of the SDAC is very attractive but had I had any say in design choices I would've gone for wall socketed power and at least one more input like coaxial. These are preferences, not absolutely essential. My amp is a Eufonika OTL that isn't supposed to go anywhere soon.

Fool that I am, I must ask: why?

Dislike and enough is enough describes it pretty well. In short both brands have almost always been disappointing not long after buying.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #174 of 180
Quite interesting actually. Not a brand I put first on my list. In a review a comparison was made to the Burson Swing for which goes the same. To emphasize the upgrade question, from what you wrote (years ago) it seemed that you liked the SDAC a lot but do you feel that the X8 is a clear step up? A tier above or even two is my goal.
I would say the Aune is one tier above the SDAC in sound :) the SDAC was a very good budget, inoffensive AKM DAC and would work well in a lot of systems, the Aune extracts a bit more detail and would be a good match with an OTL/tube amp like yours. The opamp thing is nice bonus to tweak.

The Burson Swing was also one I owned and enjoyed lots but it's out of production. It has digital volume if you want to use it as a pre as well but as a pure DAC I find the X8 more suited, I never use the knob on it, it's an afterthought.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #176 of 180
Is the Grace Design m900 available in your neck of the woods? That is one good option, sticking with the same designer. Beyond that my thoughts go to the DA Art Aquila 2 which continues to impress me.

Both the mentioned devices have headphone outputs yet both are good enough to justify owning even if one doesn't make use of that aspect.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #177 of 180
Appreciate the suggestions. Looked them up and both can be had for €700 which is a bit beyond what I'm comfortable with. Really don't want to go over €500 and change, and guess what I held my word. Quite excited to say I bumped into a used Yulong DA10 and also with help of your reviews went for it. Have happy memories of the D100 and more so of the D200 which I had as all-in-one. So.. lets see! Expecting very good things :grin:

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #178 of 180
Appreciate the suggestions. Looked them up and both can be had for €700 which is a bit beyond what I'm comfortable with. Really don't want to go over €500 and change, and guess what I held my word. Quite excited to say I bumped into a used Yulong DA10 and also with help of your reviews went for it. Have happy memories of the D100 and more so of the D200 which I had as all-in-one. So.. lets see! Expecting very good things :grin:
Keeps us updated~~ :D :D

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #180 of 180
The Massdrop X Grace Design Standard DAC can no longer be bought, but there is the SMSL SU-1.
Has anyone compared them?
Sorry a little bit late to the party. But yes I did had both for a while so I can give you some of my impressions.

Spoiler: I'm still using SDAC as daily driver.

SU-1 has more air, bigger soundstage, more treble amount.
SDAC has richer mids, thicker sound over all, and closer vocal.
SDAC has more bass quantity, and more slam.
SU-1 has better layering and more separation.

Issue with SU-1 is that it's somewhat bright and lean compare to SDAC, despite higher resolution and soundstage.

When I sold it the guy who I sold to was using speakers, so he really enjoyed this combination. I'm assuming speakers doesn't output as much treble as headphone.

So I've fall back to SDAC since it's a nicer balance of sound for me despite the lower resolution.

I've yet to find an upgrade that retains the same sound signature. If anyone know please tell me.

But to recap, SU-1 is brighter and more resolution, SDAC is more well balanced and more musical. I kept the SDAC and sold the SU-1.

Hope this helps, cheers!

PXL_20230612_205148077.jpg

PXL_20230705_014851109.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back