Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #392 of 4,845
Compared to HD 650. Bright green is production HD 58X Jubilee, red is the old. Ugly green is HD 650.
hd58xhd650.png

May 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #393 of 4,845
Now i'm hyped, hope the graph is accurate, makes me question yet again if I will go with the Hifiman He-4xx or the Sennheiser HD58X.

And the HD58X is so gorgeous compared to the HD6XX hope it turns out to be a good headphone

May 9, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #394 of 4,845
It's reasonable to be concerned, since they took down the graph. That said - they didn't get that bright green line up there we are all excited about out of nowhere. Someone tested them and that's what they got. I'm betting it was just done prematurely, and want to wait for their announcement on MassDrop. I hope so and that the graph was correct.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #395 of 4,845
It's reasonable to be concerned, since they took down the graph. That said - they didn't get that bright green line up there we are all excited about out of nowhere. Someone tested them and that's what they got. I'm betting it was just done prematurely, and want to wait for their announcement on MassDrop. I hope so and that the graph was correct.

The graph is so amazing tho? Why buy the HD6XX if the HD58X is so close? Of course we can't really know just based on graphs, but even tho I love the idea to be able to buy something close to the HD650 this cheap I'm not sure if that's something Sennheiser would want

May 9, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #397 of 4,845
Now i'm hyped, hope the graph is accurate, makes me question yet again if I will go with the Hifiman He-4xx or the Sennheiser HD58X.

And the HD58X is so gorgeous compared to the HD6XX hope it turns out to be a good headphone
If my memory serves the HE4xx has too much bass for my taste. I still wished Massdrop had “rebuilt” the HE400 instead. I can get the HE400i for around $200 so the most important reason to buy the HE4xx would be the new yokes. The build quality were horrendous on the HE400i/s and the HE4xx fixxed that. And... that’s it.

If you’re still keen on Hifiman I suggest going for the HE560, it’s only $320 on Adorama. But the build quality is still Hifiman...

Anyway it was actually the HD6xx that pushed me to the HD58x. Build quality and sound quality were both great. I suppose I can’t really go wrong with the HD58x, and the graphs really excite me.

May 9, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #398 of 4,845
If my memory serves the HE4xx has too much bass for my taste. I still wished Massdrop had “rebuilt” the HE400 instead. I can get the HE400i for around $200 so the most important reason to buy the HE4xx would be the new yokes. The build quality were horrendous on the HE400i/s and the HE4xx fixxed that. And... that’s it.

If you’re still keen on Hifiman I suggest going for the HE560, it’s only $320 on Adorama. But the build quality is still Hifiman...

Anyway it was actually the HD6xx that pushed me to the HD58x. Build quality and sound quality were both great. I suppose I can’t really go wrong with the HD58x, and the graphs really excite me.

Unfortunately economy is prime for me because the dollar keeps rising against my currency. So I can't dream to go over the 200 hundred barrier. I think it comes down to check reviews on how the HD58X production will be in the end if the graph reflects real life I think i might buy it. Wonder if it's going to be a middle ground with the HD600 or HD650. I'm afraid of the HD650 timbre since I'm used to the SHP9500 that are kinda bright.

May 11, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #400 of 4,845
I'm surprised since the graphs show the HiFiMan HE4XX has rolled off lower bass. Even the mid bass doesn't seem like very much compared to even the Sennheiser HD650.
I could be remembering wrong. But the soundstage of all the Hifiman 4 I've heard definitely was much more closed-in than the Senns and the bass felt too prominent. That said, I only auditioned the Hifimans at local meets and each time with a different amp (iDSD Micro, JDS C5D among them). I'm really debating whether to add the 4xx to my collection anyway, because in my country I can sell it at a small loss after 2 or 3 months of use.

Unfortunately economy is prime for me because the dollar keeps rising against my currency. So I can't dream to go over the 200 hundred barrier. I think it comes down to check reviews on how the HD58X production will be in the end if the graph reflects real life I think i might buy it. Wonder if it's going to be a middle ground with the HD600 or HD650. I'm afraid of the HD650 timbre since I'm used to the SHP9500 that are kinda bright.

Have you considered the cost of amping? Even the HD58x require an amp; the fact that it's more effiicent than the 6xx/650 doesn't make it efficient enough for a mobile device.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #401 of 4,845
This subjectivity in how we all perceive sound is another issue for me. It's not only trying to understand what I would like in a headphone. But after deciding that, the characteristics of headphones can change from people to people. I used to hear that the He4xx soundstage is a tad bigger, but then there are other people that say otherwise (maybe William is saying this because how forward the instruments can be on the Hifiman) so it makes the processing of choosing for someone that can be a lot careful a painful task.

May 11, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #402 of 4,845
Have you considered the cost of amping? Even the HD58x require an amp; the fact that it's more effiicent than the 6xx/650 doesn't make it efficient enough for a mobile device.

If the HD58X is like the HD660S or HD700 then they can be driven with a low power DAP or even a phone but as to how they will sound that is still to be seen. FWIW the HD660S sounds decent/good from a Fiio X3ii or Galaxy S8 and adding an amp only changes the sound a little, more like a tuning thing to me while the HD650/HD600 pretty much need an amp to get decent sound out of either IMO.

May 11, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #404 of 4,845
I think that graph may not be accurate since Sennheiser declared that bass levels on production 58X are HD 650/6XX, and that graph seems to imply more than that:

Hello everybody who might be curious, a little update... the finalized tuning of the HD 58X Jubilee is coming out great, with bass levels like the HD 650 (and HD 6XX).
Thanks to the whole community for all your encouragement and shared excitement, we’re proud to bring this great value to you soon!”

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2071774

May 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #405 of 4,845
I think that graph may not be accurate since Sennheiser declared that bass levels on production 58X are HD 650/6XX, and that graph seems to imply more than that:

Hello everybody who might be curious, a little update... the finalized tuning of the HD 58X Jubilee is coming out great, with bass levels like the HD 650 (and HD 6XX).
Thanks to the whole community for all your encouragement and shared excitement, we’re proud to bring this great value to you soon!”

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2071774

In any case, all of this is great news for the HD58X purchasers. Far better than I had anticipated. Even if the FR is “only” similar to the HD650 (bass) or to the HD660S (cleaner bass but smoother higher mids), that’s better than what I expected for a 149$ headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back