Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Jan 18, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #586 of 624
The one comparison you didn't make in that review that's begging to be made is with the original MH40 wired-only version. :)

There do not seem to be a lot of serious reviews of the MH40 Wireless but the few I've read seem to compare them unfavorably to the MH40 original wired-only model.
That would mean they were not great, the MH40 wired were not at all a dynamic sounding headphone, I found them very flat and boring. Sorry to say, in case you were/are a fan. I was so disappointed with them and I had really been looking forward to hearing the original MH40.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #587 of 624
That would mean they were not great, the MH40 wired were not at all a dynamic sounding headphone, I found them very flat and boring. Sorry to say, in case you were/are a fan. I was so disappointed with them and I had really been looking forward to hearing the original MH40.

I quite like the MH40 original, definitely not boring and definitely not flat. It seems the MH40 wireless have a different sound signature, more subdued bass.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #588 of 624
I quite like the MH40 original, definitely not boring and definitely not flat. It seems the MH40 wireless have a different sound signature, more subdued bass.
I wish our experience of the MH40 was the same. I was so excited to hear it, I simply loved the look of it and I had read so much positive about it so when I had access to my friends mint MH40 you can imagine how happy I was to try it. I really do wish that I found it different than I described, I don't know how to explain things. Anyway, my bias was clearly to really like the MH40. I have wanted to try and give other models a chance, but given that they aren't inexpensive I haven't been willing to take the plunge. Maybe I will do so through Amazon which would allow me to return it if I didn't like it. I may try the wireless to see as I have a fair amount of wireless headphone experience so certainly a solid base to compare against. Cheers.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #589 of 624
I've placed my MH40 to sell. I only listen in my room since March and I don't need anymore a closed headphone. I almost never used it in a portable way. The design of the cup is not secure enough to have a enjoyable portable experience in my opinion, so I didn't understood the decision to make a wireless version of the MH40. In the opposite, MW 50, 60 and 65 gave up this system... Speaking of them, I noticed on the official website that MW 50 and 60 are not sold anymore!

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #590 of 624
I've placed my MH40 to sell. I only listen in my room since March and I don't need anymore a closed headphone. I almost never used it in a portable way. The design of the cup is not secure enough to have a enjoyable portable experience in my opinion, so I didn't understood the decision to make a wireless version of the MH40. In the opposite, MW 50, 60 and 65 gave up this system... Speaking of them, I noticed on the official website that MW 50 and 60 are not sold anymore!

Yeah, it looks like Master & Dynamic has simplified the headphone lineup so that there is one wired-only model (MH40, their first headphone), one non-ANC wireless model (MH40 wireless) and one ANC wireless model (MW65), and ditched the on-ear/over-ear hybrid MW50+ and the oldest wireless model MW60.

I have the wired MH40 and the wireless MW60 already — and from the reviews I’ve read so far of the wireless MH40, I think I’m better off with the MW60. For one, the MW60 has a traditional 3.5mm jack and cable for passive listening rather than requiring a special USB-C to 3.5mm cable like the MH40 wireless since that model doesn’t have a regular 3.5mm on the cup.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #592 of 624
The one comparison you didn't make in that review that's begging to be made is with the original MH40 wired-only version. :)

There do not seem to be a lot of serious reviews of the MH40 Wireless but the few I've read seem to compare them unfavorably to the MH40 original wired-only model.

I don't have the original MH40 wired only, so I wasn't able to make the comparison.

Since the new version is cheaper, I would assume that the original MH40 Wired may sound better than the new version

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #593 of 624
I don't have the original MH40 wired only, so I wasn't able to make the comparison.

Since the new version is cheaper, I would assume that the original MH40 Wired may sound better than the new version
Conflating price with performance is a fallacy and often wrong. Over at ASR Amir just tested a $9 pair of Sony headphones that measured better than the $2000 Abyss Diana almost across the board and subjectively his listening test he found the $9 headphone sounded great. Can't go by price.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #594 of 624
Speaking of the MH40, I've listened it the whole weekend after spending one month with the Fidelio X2HR (powered by a K5 Pro). Of course, it's not really "fair" to compare a closed and portable model to a big open back headphone. But I really noticed the bass were so huge, even too much in some songs. On the other side, I've preferred the vocal presentation at some points on the MH40, more than the X2HR. Comfort speaking, of course the Philips was better. Overall, I've still found the MH40 very fun, although too bassy by default for an indoor listening. Adjusting the bass with EQ was more interesting to match my preferences.

It would be interesting to have a successor to the MH40, a wired version but with better sonic qualities. Or maybe an open model?

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #595 of 624
Conflating price with performance is a fallacy and often wrong. Over at ASR Amir just tested a $9 pair of Sony headphones that measured better than the $2000 Abyss Diana almost across the board and subjectively his listening test he found the $9 headphone sounded great. Can't go by price.

I don't think that higher price means better either, but judging by the fact that M&D have been fairly transparent and usually priced things according to performance, I would have assumed the above.

Usually, when comparing the products of the same company, they do manage to nail down what sounds best and how, and how to price them.

There are exceptions like Ultraosne, where their midrange models are superb, but their high-end are very specific tuned, but in general that seems to be true for most companies.

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #596 of 624
Got these today brand new for £90. And woweee they're good! The design is gorgeous, sound is punchy and fun which works great on some tracks (less on others, I compared them to my P5 on some Nirvana and found the P5 captured Kurt's voice better.) But on other tracks they're a knockout. What a superb, comfortable headphone.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #597 of 624
I made a review on the little MAster & Dynamic Mw60 Headphone :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/04/lush-design-master-and-dynamic-mw60.html

Master-Dynamic-Master%2526Dynamic-MW60-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-40.jpg

Having recently fallen for the MH40s, can you compare those to the MW60s?

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #599 of 624
I actually liked the signature a bit more for MH40, they are brighter, more open, more balanced. By comparison, Mw60 is thicker, warmer, more lush and laid back. MH40 is quite forward

Thanks! Yes indeed, forward, exciting & energetic. Really fun sound.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #600 of 624
Does anyone know if the mh40 is wired for balanced connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back