Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Aug 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #92 of 624
  Nice impressions! How does it compare with ZMFxVibro in terms of musicality?

it has more bass than the vibro. I thought the vibro was really knocking  on extreme levels and this put me right back in the right perspective because it doesnt sound overdone yet its stronger.The mids here are close in qty as well as the highs. The vibro still has the soundstage, clarity and imaging but this bass is very tasty. I would love to own both.

Today I am going to see if Guitar Center or anywhere else has the mo-fi so I can try and shoot them out real quick.

Musicality - MH40 its kick drum punches harder
ZMF x Vibro - its snare snaps harder

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #93 of 624
Wow! I'm a bit shocked when you said that MH40 is more musical than Vibro. I thought Vibro is already an extremely good headphone. I like good bass. I think I'm going to get this to try out.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #94 of 624
That is because musicality isnt the only think I like about the Vibro. 
musicality to me means bass warmth, punch,full mids, attack etc, all the things that make it an experience over an analyzation. 

When I put the Vibro on it sounds like I am entering into the music atmosphere. The MH40 is like the music is trying to invade my brain but to prove it has the goods.

But the vibro has  the edge in the reasons I want high end phones but not by a whole light year. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #95 of 624
I would take these impressions with grains of salt because they are very early vs the Blue mo fi on only a 45 min listen in a distracting environment.

OPINION WARNING
a little things I notice. I can hear what gelocks mentions about the congested mids. But its not overwhelming to me and they sound clear and sweet still.

Comfort:
Blue MoFi (since I don't mind weight)

The MH40 has a fit that has to be readjusted occasionally and I have to intentionally tuck my ears in a bit. The mo fi fit is sure and the weight is evenly distributed. Every part of it that contacts the head is being met with supple padding and takes less effort to get a good seal.

Looks:
MH40

While I am not a fan of the color of this M&D it still looks better to me in person. The Blue hp has a gaudy look that will grow old fast while IMO the M&D is retro and modern enough at the same time to stand the tests of time. Neither of them look all that great on my big head and large neck but if out in public the Mh40 is a no brainer if it was black. What I was wearing looked really bad with the brown. If you dont have hair to cover it, the Mo Fi will give your head elbows.

Build:
TIE or MH40 actually. ..can't really say from a quick visit
Although the Mofi does have a lot of vulnerable parts on it because its components are so many. The MH40 seems like apart from wearing out the leather, it may hold up longer. MH40 - No plastic.

Sound:
MH40
After the review I read with the PSB as the favorite, I was expecting the MH40 to be all splashy in the highs but not so if maybe a little more than the MoFI. I wouldnt call either harsh. I also couldn't hear the MH40 to be that much brighter than the MoFi in my brief session so if it was brighter it was only by a little but with a peak in a different area of the highs maybe.

MH40 hits a little harder than the Blue Mofi in passive mode but when the switch is on the MoFi is easily more felt and heard though a little less controlled yet still has very solid impacts. Both have what hears to be tight bass and decent extension. I am definitely not going to be really detailed here because of the limited time spent but both do hip hop etc well while the MH40 pulls ahead with transparency and soundstage(a very little bit more) on acoustic music.

The Blue hp doesnt sound recessed in the mids either and is very engaging and clean sounding even with the switch on but the MH40 reveals its edge on transparency in the mids once I played a vocal track. 

Neither are for the soundstage head and both are colored a little bit.

Isolation Leakage:
Blue MoFI wins

Volume and amping:
?
I couldn't try and hear all of the issues people may report with the MoFi's internal amp. The MH40 doesn't need an amp from my iphone to show what it has and was a lot louder than the MoFi in passive mode. Passive mode also doesnt have the same dynamics either. I find the MoFi would need an amp if you chose to use it without its own internal amp in order to have ample headroom from a portable source.

What would I buy... Well I dont want the blue anymore because I wouldnt want to take it everywhere. Also for tracking, which is my main reason, it sounds good for vocal takes but it just didnt win me over because I would rather use my Vibro. Or because I had tough competition with me! I also prefer the sound of the MH40 by a little bit from my listen today but the Blue MoFi still sounds great IMO. That ON switch aint no joke though. I mean that thing will punch!.

I don't know if any of the above headphones are basshead phones but all of them have gratifying bass response and are north of neutral, good mids and clear sound.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #97 of 624
That's great input....thanks for taking the time.

biggrin.gif

HS

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #99 of 624
So Tyll posted the measurements:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MasterDynamicMH40.pdf

and said:
Yowza, I hear the 30Hz square wave of the MD40 measurements shout "I will hit you hard and clean"...and it does. My ears want me to like these headphones...but I've only had them for a few days.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #100 of 624
After seeing it worn,I gotta say that I hate the way it looks now. It looks like a microphone pop filter on your ear, and it doesn't really make sense for a closed headphone. The mesh does nothing and adds extra weight.
The smaller on ear model looks better.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #101 of 624
After seeing it worn,I gotta say that I hate the way it looks now. It looks like a microphone pop filter on your ear, and it doesn't really make sense for a closed headphone. The mesh does nothing and adds extra weight.
The smaller on ear model looks better.

+1 thats why I want the black one edit: will buy the black one

But when off the head it looks nice!

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #102 of 624
  I would take these impressions with grains of salt because they are very early vs the Blue mo fi on only a 45 min listen in a distracting environment.

OPINION WARNING
a little things I notice. I can hear what gelocks mentions about the congested mids. But its not overwhelming to me and they sound clear and sweet still.

Comfort:
Blue MoFi (since I don't mind weight)

The MH40 has a fit that has to be readjusted occasionally and I have to intentionally tuck my ears in a bit. The mo fi fit is sure and the weight is evenly distributed. Every part of it that contacts the head is being met with supple padding and takes less effort to get a good seal.

Looks:
MH40

While I am not a fan of the color of this M&D it still looks better to me in person. The Blue hp has a gaudy look that will grow old fast while IMO the M&D is retro and modern enough at the same time to stand the tests of time. Neither of them look all that great on my big head and large neck but if out in public the Mh40 is a no brainer if it was black. What I was wearing looked really bad with the brown. If you dont have hair to cover it, the Mo Fi will give your head elbows.

Build:
TIE or MH40 actually. ..can't really say from a quick visit
Although the Mofi does have a lot of vulnerable parts on it because its components are so many. The MH40 seems like apart from wearing out the leather, it may hold up longer. MH40 - No plastic.

Sound:
MH40
After the review I read with the PSB as the favorite, I was expecting the MH40 to be all splashy in the highs but not so if maybe a little more than the MoFI. I wouldnt call either harsh. I also couldn't hear the MH40 to be that much brighter than the MoFi in my brief session so if it was brighter it was only by a little but with a peak in a different area of the highs maybe.

MH40 hits a little harder than the Blue Mofi in passive mode but when the switch is on the MoFi is easily more felt and heard though a little less controlled yet still has very solid impacts. Both have what hears to be tight bass and decent extension. I am definitely not going to be really detailed here because of the limited time spent but both do hip hop etc well while the MH40 pulls ahead with transparency and soundstage(a very little bit more) on acoustic music.

The Blue hp doesnt sound recessed in the mids either and is very engaging and clean sounding even with the switch on but the MH40 reveals its edge on transparency in the mids once I played a vocal track. 

Neither are for the soundstage head and both are colored a little bit.

Isolation Leakage:
Blue MoFI wins

Volume and amping:
?
I couldn't try and hear all of the issues people may report with the MoFi's internal amp. The MH40 doesn't need an amp from my iphone to show what it has and was a lot louder than the MoFi in passive mode. Passive mode also doesnt have the same dynamics either. I find the MoFi would need an amp if you chose to use it without its own internal amp in order to have ample headroom from a portable source.

What would I buy... Well I dont want the blue anymore because I wouldnt want to take it everywhere. Also for tracking, which is my main reason, it sounds good for vocal takes but it just didnt win me over because I would rather use my Vibro. Or because I had tough competition with me! I also prefer the sound of the MH40 by a little bit from my listen today but the Blue MoFi still sounds great IMO. That ON switch aint no joke though. I mean that thing will punch!.

I don't know if any of the above headphones are basshead phones but all of them have gratifying bass response and are north of neutral, good mids and clear sound.

i thought u are waiting for sony new headphone release

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #103 of 624
Sep 17, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #105 of 624
Grizzly (or others) - who carries this headphone in stores?  I'd love to see and hear them first hand, rather than order them and possibly return.  I'm also interested in the Blue Mo-Fi, but those seem to be sold out just about everywhere.  I guess that's a good sign!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back