Matrix M-Stage, LD MkIII, Maverick D1 -> DT880
Jun 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

boclcown

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for an amp and dac. I'm planning on getting a pair of dt880's, and I know that I will need an amp that can drive them.

I'm in love with the Matrix M-Stage from what I have read. It seems to be a clone of an $800+ amp that pairs well with the dt880 (can anyone confirm this?). I'm worried that it will be too dry, however. I prefer to listen to acoustic music, and I'd like an amp that really treats the mids well. If I get this, I will buy the udac. 

What of the LD MKIII and the Maverick D1 compared to the M-Stage, though??

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I'm in the market for an amp and dac. I'm planning on getting a pair of dt880's, and I know that I will need an amp that can drive them.

I'm in love with the Matrix M-Stage from what I have read. It seems to be a clone of an $800+ amp that pairs well with the dt880 (can anyone confirm this?). I'm worried that it will be too dry, however. I prefer to listen to acoustic music, and I'd like an amp that really treats the mids well. If I get this, I will buy the udac. 

What of the LD MKIII and the Maverick D1 compared to the M-Stage, though??

I have a Little Dot MK  11 with 6H30 PI and Mullard cv4010. Price is equal with the upgraded tubes. The Little Dot is a good amp but the Matrix is a great amp. It really is a step up IMO.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 13
From my experience at canjam, the Maverick D1 competes quite well against the more expensive competition.  I'm not gonna say it's the best, but it is an excellent value, considering everything it does.  Plenty of headroom to power my newly acquired DT990/600s.

I haven't heard the Matrix, but I'd probably bet it's a better amp.  If you don't need or want an all-in-one unit, then the Matrix is probably a better choice, if you want to go SS.  If not, the little dot is probably a good choice, though I didn't get to see one of those at canjam, so I've got no firsthand experience.  Maverick Audio is also coming out with a tube amp latter this month.  I'm eager to see how it stacks up against the little dots.

Standard disclaimer. I'm not affiliated with Maverick Audio, I've been using this handle for about 10 years now.

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 13
from my admittedly limited experience, i've already learned a very valuable lesson:  separate components win!!!

1.  easier to upgrade later.
2.  if a component goes out, easier to limp along until replaced.
3.  separate components don't "sacrifice" anything to put amp/dac in same case.
4.  separate components allow you to taylor sound more to your tastes (neutral dac, warm amp, etc.)

good luck w/ your search!

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 13
I've slowly learned that too. Would really like to know how the M-Stage pairs with the DT880/600.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 13
I'm sure all three are value purchases - with the nod to the maverick if budget is an issue and upgraditis is kept in check.  The maverick should have a decent D/A section with a true line out - bonus tube stage and headamp built-in.

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 13
With a DT880 - you'd need to upgrade the dac if you go with the matrix - it is so transparent as to expose weaknesses in your source and DT880's.

600-ohm will work nicely with valves - and with valves the need to upgrade dac is less urgent - the THD of tubes will most likely override the THD in most dacs.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Plenty of people say the Beyer's work best on tubes, so the LD is probably you best bet, assuming your don't dislike the tube sound.  Since you've go the uDAC now, there's no need for the Maverick anymore.

I've heard great things about both amps, so it just comes own to which sound you prefer.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 13
One comment I can make the Beyer T1 with the Matrix is very transparent with a wide soundstage and great bass. The power of the Matrix makes them shine. Listend on both little Dot MK11 and MK111 and the T1 sounded best with the Matrix by a wide margin. I would think for me to get better sound with a tube amp I would need to spend 700.00 and upwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back