Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 - best headphone suggestions?
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

cheapskateaudio

Aka: sohnx
Hello Head-fi,

I recently purchased the Tubemagic A1 to drive some speakers (Dayton Audio B652's) and found that it did a decent job with some HD 448's I bought because they're supposed to be a "good deal", in actuality they leave much to be desired. I also own portable Sennheiser PMX 680's, (which I found to be a really great value and sound pretty decent out of a Nuforce uDac that I also own). Neither headphone really sounds great out of the Tubemagic. I understand that these phones are low impedance therefore potentially problematic for the A1  to drive. I believe I hear that impedance issue with the PMX 680's, but with the HD 448's I'm pretty sure I just hear a junk pair of headphones.

So, can anyone offer some recommendations for laid back, dark, liquid, yet detailed and airy headphones that will show these qualities well when paired with the Tubemagic? Can anyone familiar with the Tubemagic comment on whether it is even capable of delivering the above listening experience through a good pair of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back