mdr-sa3000 vs mdr-sa5000
Dec 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The leather and the foam are from a upholstery job left overs. Machine sewn.

don't mean to hijack the thread, but would you mind posting inside/outside photos of your homebrew cd3k pads please?

I got plenty of black lambskin, a pair of beat up pads from which I'll cannibalize the foam donut...and I also plan on making a new headband for my cd1k, so I'd buy one of these..this should do wonders(I'll ask the seller if it can sew leather): Desktop Handheld Battery Operated Sewing Machine - eBay

BTW I'm getting my Burson HA-160 next week, I'll report how it does on the cd1k if you wanna have a look at the thread I created in the amp section
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #62 of 69
I too am sorry about the hijacking but to help out leeperry or anyone that may need some ideas, here are some pictures.

Frtin.jpg

Front inside seam.

Frtout.jpg

Front outside seam.

Bck.jpg

Back side.

PC200054.jpg

Headband.

Hope that helps.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #63 of 69
very impressive
thanks-t.gif

did you disassemble the whole headphones assembly to change the top padding? I'd be scared of screwing up the "belt" system
redface.gif

and isn't it it annoying that you didn't keep the hole in the middle of the headband?

so first you did the inside sewing of the earpads, then the outside, and then you sewed the LYCRA fabric on top of it? damn I'll never get it that straight
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #64 of 69
Yes everything was disassembled. Yes to the steps. The lycra was a bad choice. It was the only stretchy material I had lying around but it is too weak to hold the pads in place. I ended up using a tiny strip of double sided tape.

I am trying the ebay pads on the CD3000 now, not that impressed so far. The very soft leatherette Sony used created the best seal over mines or ebay's.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #65 of 69
oh ok....isolation is bad on the cd3k, but it's even worse on my cd1k(empty cups, but wider SS)..maybe I'll just stick to the stock pads, they're very soft...too bad they start flaking after a year
frown.gif

but you didn't keep the stock foam donuts, they should help w/ isolation.

is it OK w/o the hole in the middle on the headband? hummm I might try that this afternoon..did you put something stiff between the 2 leather layers of the headband at all?

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #67 of 69
I have the sa5000 but originally bought the sa3000 which I returned. The sa5000 to me sounded more mature. A better texture of sound. It's basically like comparing its physical improvements...

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #68 of 69
The SA5000 is my favorite, it is the over all winner. IMO the CD3000 needs a powerful SS amp to be its best. I once tried it from the speaker out of my old NAD 3020 and that was the best I've ever heard the CD3000. Even from a Ipod LOD as a source, the sound was like honey in my ear. Unfortunately dragging a integrated amp around is not ideal.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #69 of 69
I have one up for sale. Pm me if interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back