mdr-v6 or mdr-1r?
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

konchanboy

New Head-Fier
If price is no barrier, based on sound quality alone which would you choose: the Sony mdr-v6 of the mdr-1r?

And I know this sounds silly but how much of a difference in sound quality between let's say a low-end headphone, the mdr-xd100 and these high-end headphones )mdr-v6 and mdr-1r)?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Me too!

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 7
I own both including the somewhat updated V6, the ZX700's.

As for sound the V6 has a crazy amount of detail, it is by far unlike any Sony phone I own in a really good way, but its a love / hate sound as some people detest the V6 with a passion.
Some of the V6 hate comes from the slightly tizzy highs, but after using mine for close to 100hrs they fizz out if you will and become really nice.

I still own the MDR-1R and even tho they look sexy as hell the sound just isn't for me. I find it lacks sub bass, has warm mids which are nice but something there kinda muddies the pronouncing of words (hard to describe as I've only ever her it on these cans) and the highs are good but after the V6 feel too tame.

A good middle ground i'd say is the ZX700, I find them to be a fairly flat all rounder.

Hope this was of some help.

Additionally: Don't listen to people that say the V6 isn't portable as I sport it daily to work. The coiled cord helps in that I stuff it in my pocket and hook a little section of coil to the pocket and have no issues. Also if I forget and drop my pants the coil stretches :wink:

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
If price is no barrier, based on sound quality alone which would you choose: the Sony mdr-v6 of the mdr-1r?

And I know this sounds silly but how much of a difference in sound quality between let's say a low-end headphone, the mdr-xd100 and these high-end headphones )mdr-v6 and mdr-1r)?

I haven't heard the MDR-1r but I have the V6 and I just cannot rave enough about that headphone. They are transparent, musical, and one of the best sounding headphones out of the box in my collection. They need absolutely 0 EQ to sound terrific, good bass but not over powering, slightly veiled highs that results in a smooth sound rather than veiled. They are flattering to just about any type of music you throw at them. Well built, sensitive even on mp3 players and portables, comfortable for long listening periods, and built incredibly well.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I own both including the somewhat updated V6, the ZX700's.

As for sound the V6 has a crazy amount of detail, it is by far unlike any Sony phone I own in a really good way, but its a love / hate sound as some people detest the V6 with a passion.
Some of the V6 hate comes from the slightly tizzy highs, but after using mine for close to 100hrs they fizz out if you will and become really nice.

I still own the MDR-1R and even tho they look sexy as hell the sound just isn't for me. I find it lacks sub bass, has warm mids which are nice but something there kinda muddies the pronouncing of words (hard to describe as I've only ever her it on these cans) and the highs are good but after the V6 feel too tame.

A good middle ground i'd say is the ZX700, I find them to be a fairly flat all rounder.

Hope this was of some help.

Additionally: Don't listen to people that say the V6 isn't portable as I sport it daily to work. The coiled cord helps in that I stuff it in my pocket and hook a little section of coil to the pocket and have no issues. Also if I forget and drop my pants the coil stretches :wink:

Thank you, just what I was looking for! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back