MDR-Z900HD's Padding is flaking off...
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dylanrw

New Head-Fier
I have had these things for 3-4 years now, and use them almost daily. I love the way they sound, I have them EQ'd right, and love the fit. I just hate that the ultra thin coating on the pads is now cracking and coming off leaving black flakes everywhere. Any ideas on how to replace the padding? Or should I start looking for replacement cans?

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Just order new pads from Sony.  They are not cheap though.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys, I'll look into it. I guess I got my $$'s worth. Maybe its time to pony up for the new 1000's from sony? Leather pads it looks like so at least that wouldn't be an issue.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 7
For anyone else with this issue, after checking reviews on Amazon and other threads about the MDR7506/9's I have ordered some Beyerdynamic velour padded ear cushions from B&H for ~$20. Once they get in I will see how things work out.  Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 7
This is an historical problem that's been going on with Sony headphone pads for 20+ years - about as long as the V6 has been in production.  There are recording, radio, and TV studios that order them by the dozens (V6's) and as soon as they pull them out of the box, they rip off the Sony pleather pads and replace them with velours.

Check closely on B&H Photo.  They have a new brand of velour pads - Pearstone - that already has the foam liner built in.  That makes them superior to the Beyer's, IMHO.  I've ordered both with V6's, btw, and the new Pearstones are great.  Not sure if they have that for the Z900's, but it's worth a check. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Interesting. Well, I was essentially thinking that the Z900HD's where an identical chassis to the 7506/9's. Do you think there would be a problem? I can post pics and measurements if you are interested. Considering how these phones are still going for $220.00 new in some places, I'd hate to buy a new set just because the pads are crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back