Me and Fraseyboy are OK! Earthquake!
Feb 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #106 of 113
Phwoar. Glad to be alive right now!

I was on Kilmore St in the CBD at work when it hit - it was notably worse than the first one shake-wise. Saw a few buildings basically crumble when we ran outside!

A bit of trivia - the peak ground acceleration during this quake was 2.2G - or about 3x that of most magnitude 6.3 shakes, and just under twice that of the big 7.1 in September.

Current estimates are that around 30% of the central business district is going to have to be demolished, and there are many hundred homes around the city (so far) that are uninhabitable.

Wow.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #107 of 113
Is there any speculation/prediction of more after quakes to come? I haven't kept up to date but it seems that in Sept. there were a lot of after shocks soon after.

I imagine that there are some damaged buildings now that could crumble and some weakened slightly that would progress into the demolish list if another substantial quake hits.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #109 of 113
Yeah but it really wasn't all that bad. I expect there'll be another 5-6 within the next few months as well since that seems to be the trend. They're not going away. May as well get used to them.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #110 of 113
*sigh*

Can we just re-name this city Quake City.....

Just had 5.5 and a 6.0. Twas good. Usual aftershocks of the aftershocks still continuing.
For overseas peeps, go for New Zealand news websites for better more detailed infomation.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #111 of 113
They're such an inconvenience. Schools out till Wednesday but we were already very behind from the 22nd one. We need all the time we can get :/

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #113 of 113
I gather that Xmas services were held outside today due to the number of aftershocks from the most recent quake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back