Measurements of 6 Sennheiser Headphones Starting With HE90 / HEV90
Jan 31, 2015 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bluemonkeyflyer

Headphoneus Supremus
Sennheiser makes TOTL and Mid-Fi headphones. Having a few on hand, I thought it would be interesting to post some measurements taken during one testing session. Given numerous uncontrolled variables between different testing methods / kits, consider these graphs FWIW / YMMV ---> Compare these graphs Only to one another, not with others' graphs. Understand, as well, that "graphs don't tell the whole story" about how a headphone sounds to You.

HE90 / HEV90 sounds incredible, delivering micro-detail retrieval, a wide soundstage, excellent imaging, great comfort, and a nicely balanced FR / sound signature.

HD-800 and HD-600 approach the SQ of HE90 / HEV90.

HD-598 and HD-595 "ain't bad neither," especially at their low price.

On Ear Momentums are just "O.K."

Edit: Only a few of the graphs open upon Right Click but open one and navigate to the others with the Left and Right Arrows.

[size=12.7272720336914px][/size]

EDIT: The Left Channel on this set of On Ear Momentum was not working properly due to a short in the cable - to - cup junction. I re-ran the measurements on the Right Channel...Now, that's more like what I expected to see from measuring them.

Amazon accepted my return from the purchase date over 6 months ago...No Questions asked. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 8
Yup the HD600/650 almost always have the cleanest waterfall plots around.  IMHO this is why they are so pleasant of a listen, While a lot of others rely on frequency attenuation to mellow out these cans do it by damping and controlling resonance.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 8
Something I have always wondered... Why are CSD plots always in one direction?  They measure how quickly the diaphragm comes to rest post signal attenuation.  Does anyone measure the opposite?  How quickly the driver "ramps up" to an incoming impulse?

thanks!!  Oh and congrats on the HE90/V90... one of my all time fave setups.  There were 2-3 of them at one time in the SF bay area.  Got to listen extensively several years ago.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 8
  Something I have always wondered... Why are CSD plots always in one direction?  They measure how quickly the diaphragm comes to rest post signal attenuation.  Does anyone measure the opposite?  How quickly the driver "ramps up" to an incoming impulse?

thanks!!  Oh and congrats on the HE90/V90... one of my all time fave setups.  There were 2-3 of them at one time in the SF bay area.  Got to listen extensively several years ago.

Go HERE and post your question. The designer of ARTA, Ivo Mateljan, usually answers such questions.

RE: HD-600, I am impressed by their sound quality, especially from a good source and amp.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Measurements of two more sennheisers + the hd 600.

unipolar 2000 (modded)​
HD 600​
HD 530 (modded)​
 ​
 ​

In this case, by comparison, the unipolar is high-end, the 600 is mid-fi, and the 530 is mid-fi as well.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Aww... I saw 'Momentum' and then was disappointed to read 'on ears'.
(veteran over-ear Momentum user 
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back