Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 14, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #391 of 498
At this level, you’re only getting minor “improvements” for your money. Wouldn’t be surprised if it matches or only slightly improves on the HD800 sound. The price difference comes down to new design, different use case, R&D, marketing, and maybe a different flavour. It hardly ever comes down to better sound quality. We’re already at near maximum as far as that’s concerned.
Are you inferring that the HD800/800s is the pinnacle of headphone sound quality? I hardly think so. And if you are not paying for better sound quality (when something costs 60% more), why bother? You indicate "flavour" which to me means a different type of coloration, be it a pleasant one or not. The ultimate goal in design should be to remove as many potential colorations and distortions as possible, to free up the music and present it in the most unimpeded manner as can be. That should be a given at these price points, should it not?

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #392 of 498
..........anyone else who thinks they have a complaint about the new headphones price?

.............I suggest they get a new job.

Wow, take it easy. What makes you think those who comment on price don't have well paying jobs? Be nice, lets keep the discussion on the headphones.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #393 of 498
Are you inferring that the HD800/800s is the pinnacle of headphone sound quality? I hardly think so. And if you are not paying for better sound quality (when something costs 60% more), why bother? You indicate "flavour" which to me means a different type of coloration, be it a pleasant one or not. The ultimate goal in design should be to remove as many potential colorations and distortions as possible, to free up the music and present it in the most unimpeded manner as can be. That should be a given at these price points, should it not?
Certainly not inferring the HD800 is the pinnacle of sound quality, but it’s technically very close to the top of the tree. It does most things better than most (soundstage, imaging, resolution), and some things not so well. There are technically “better” headphones like Utopia, LCD-4, Stax - but each of those have their own issues and cost three or more times the price. I’d also hazard that many more rate and prefer the HD800 over those other headphones.

What I don’t agree with at all is that neutrality should be the ultimate objective of high-end headphones. Different music calls for different sound signatures, not to mention most people hear differently and have different tastes. So if every TOTL headphone aimed for neutrality you’d think there would be one top headphone that renders any type of music perfectly, but we know that’s not the case. However technically proficient the HD800 might be, it can also be very cold and analytical. I’d reach for my ‘technically inferior’ LCD-2 over the HD800 more often than not because it connects me better with the music I like to listen to.

So no, absolute neutrality is definitely not the be all for me - I prefer some colour and heft to my music, as do many. I don’t listen to music so I can analyze it, I listen to enjoy it. But I can see why some prefer a more analytical sound, and that’s cool. That’s why different flavours and colors are important and why I don’t think there could ever be one headphone that does everything perfectly.

And to the original point, no, just because it costs twice as much as the HD800 I don’t expect it to be all that much better, if at all. The price difference will be worth it (or not) for the things the HD820 can do that the 800 can’t. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #394 of 498
Fair enough. Agree, neutrality is not always the goal. There is a fun factor as well. It's just that there is an abundance of 'fun' headphones in the $200 -$1000 range, and I would think that as one tends to spend more, they would be entitled to less coloration and distortion, even if those can play a role in making music fun to listen to.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #395 of 498
04EF418F-7F06-41F9-B244-261C65317AF0.jpeg
Wow, take it easy. What makes you think those who comment on price don't have well paying jobs? Be nice, lets keep the discussion on the headphones.
It’s was a joke? Guess you took it literally?

Robbing banks for Val Kilmer’s new headphones.....a joke.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #396 of 498
So then, Tyll has made first impressions

"Bass Light": many hearts broken :wink:

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #397 of 498
He didn't look too enthused, but then again this is in a very crowded show floor and "tuning isn't final" he said so it still can change, who knows?

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #399 of 498

Sounds like no bass is true?

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #400 of 498
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #401 of 498
I have not given-up hope. Anything is possible in this world, when there is a goal in mind and hope!

Of course when that doesn't work there is the glue mod.

0AEDFEC7-657E-4FDD-AC73-0E1C9AC9A650.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #403 of 498
Jan 15, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #405 of 498
ok...that's all I need to know...
Just watch the video and hear it from Tyll's own mouth, give it some benefit of the doubt also as it is from the aforementioned "prototype" version tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back