Meier Audio Daccord
May 18, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #616 of 715
May 26, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #620 of 715
I was thinking of using the corda opera analogue version as a pre amp to some gain clones also trying them bi amping some 2020 tripath mini amps pity it doesn't have the dac on board but what to expect from the pre amp section on the corda opera ??

May 30, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #621 of 715
Lately I'm experiencing strange digital artifacts when playing music. It happens from time to time and only when playing at 88,2 kHz. Hitting pause solves the problem. Has anyone experienced similar situation? 

May 30, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #622 of 715
Since the Daccord DAC has a powerful volume controlled preamp output (6 volts on the highest setting), I'm toying with the idea of connecting my headphones directly to the RCA outputs.
The input impedance of the Classic amp is 18 KOhm, and my phones have an impedance of 38 Ohm...quite a difference :wink:. So what will the effect on the sound signature be, and would it possibly be an idea to connect some resistors to the output signal? Or would a 300-600 Ohm headphone work better on a preamp output?

1 pair of volume-controlled preamplifier outputs.
          Output level: 6.0 Vrms / High gain
                                 2,4 Vrms / Medium gain
                                 0.9 Vrms / Low gain

May 30, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #623 of 715
  Since the Daccord DAC has a powerful volume controlled preamp output (6 volts on the highest setting), I'm toying with the idea of connecting my headphones directly to the RCA outputs.
The input impedance of the Classic amp is 18 KOhm, and my phones have an impedance of 38 Ohm...quite a difference :wink:. So what will the effect on the sound signature be, and would it possibly be an idea to connect some resistors to the output signal? Or would a 300-600 Ohm headphone work better on a preamp output?

Don't think thats a good idea... that output is designed specifically for rather high-impedance inputs and I guess it won't deliver any relevant current.
But what are you trying to achieve? Spare an amp?

May 30, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #624 of 715
  But what are you trying to achieve? Spare an amp?

Exactly. I don't have an amp for the moment, and it will probably be a couple of months, before I have the funds for one. In the meantime I just have the output from the Computer, which kind of sucks :wink:.
But I am also interested in the theory of this. You can power high ohm headphones from a speaker amplifier designed for 4-8 ohm loads, with a few resistors on the speaker outputs. So what happens if you do it the other way around, and power headphones from a pre amp? Does the bass disappear..or maybe the treble? It's probably going to affect the frequency response in some way?

May 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #625 of 715
Again: I don't think thats a good idea. 6V into a 18kOhm load means something like 2mW. Max. output current is not in the specs, so I can't tell what you'd get with a 36Ohm load. If there's no current limitation in that output a load of 36Ohm will probably burn it down. And that won't be covered by warranty...

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #626 of 715
Dear headfellows,

don't worry, the preamp output of the DACCORD is powerfull enough to drive 30 Ohm loads.

However, be aware that the output impedance is relatively high at 47 Ohm. This will definitely change the frequency response of most headphones. Whether for better or for worse is a matter of personal taste.

Simply try and see whether you like the results.

Cheers

Jan

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #627 of 715
So even though I swore I'd never buy a pair of HifiMan headphones, once Herr Meier picked up the line I figured it would be okay...I trust Jan more than any other vendor, and if he likes the Hifiman stuff, then that's good enough for me. 

Well, I ended up liking the HE400s far more than I ever expected...so I figured this would be another good opportunity to segue into one of my favorite aspects of the Daccord DAC...the USB implementation. I don't know what Jan did with this circuit, but I've never really been a fan of playing files via USB. But on theDaccord, it's just incredible how good the sound is. I've never heard youtube videos sound anywhere near this good. It's opened up an entire new world of enjoyment for me as I surf the web while having the benefit of incredible audio from the Meier Stack in Black! 

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #628 of 715
   I'm toying with the idea of connecting my headphones directly to the RCA outputs.

So...I tried it, and it didn't work that well. It played the music plenty loud even at 2V output, but the fine details were missing, and the sound was kind of "muddy/dark-ish". I guess the impedance mismatch is to be blamed. A separate amplifier is definitely the better solution.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #630 of 715
Looks like Jan is offering an upgrade for all meier product owners.

Oh boy....must...resist...

eh, screw it...resisting is no fun. 

Let's do it, Jan!!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back