Mexican hot dog (and general hot dog discussion)
Aug 27, 2011 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
One street in town has eight or nine open-air restaurants where the seatin and cooking are done outside. They're only open in the evenings, so I decided to go try one tonight. We're getting a little heat lightning and it might rain, so it seemed like fun to have dinner outside to see the light show.

To get to the point, I went to a shop advertising hot dogs Mexican-style hot dogs. I loved it!

It's a grilled hot dog on a regular bun. Then they add mayonnaise, mustard, green salsa, chopped onions and tomatoes, topped off with refried beans.

Not ideal for a diet, but a happy surprise and I'll be coming back.

Anyway, there are a lot of food nuts here and thought this would be a good way to start a discussion of hot dogs and what you put on them. :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 26
Mayo, not sour cream?

Hot dogs are solid, as long as they're in a natural casing. Roasting them over a fire, no better feeling. I'm somewhat of a purist with my toppings, usually nothing, but mustard once in a while.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 26
I like those big greasy oily gas station dogs, the ones you get the dry bread and sausage and fill it with whatever you want, chilli, cheese and bacon and pickles... delicious but dangerous...

everybody goes like " dude what do you eat that crap?" but what do they know 
angry_face.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 26
I like using an Italian sausage for a hot dog. I then add sauteed onions and sauteed green and red peppers. Very yummy.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
I like using an Italian sausage for a hot dog. I then add sauteed onions and sauteed green and red peppers. Very yummy.

Do you ever put tomato sauce and mozzarella on it? Very yummy indeed.

Do most people not eat Italian sausages in buns?

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Do you ever put tomato sauce and mozzarella on it? Very yummy indeed.

Do most people not eat Italian sausages in buns?

I have but I prefer the taste of the onions and peppers.

Most people I know do not eat Italian sausages in buns. Most of my family thought I was weird when I started cooking them and eating them like that. After one bite, I got no more funny looks.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
I have but I prefer the taste of the onions and peppers.

Most people I know do not eat Italian sausages in buns. Most of my family thought I was weird when I started cooking them and eating them like that. After one bite, I got no more funny looks.

I suppose that being from Wisconsin, I have a skewed point of view when it comes to sausage consumption...

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 26
Yes, it was mayo on the hot dog. And it was delicious. I also ordered three flautas that came with crema (sour cream) and shredded cabbage, but I've had that before. The Mexican hot dog was a revelation, though.

I'm going to talk to my chef cousin about this. We can replicate it at the next family gathering. The ingredients really work together. Though I'm thinking about adding some shredded cheddar and cabbage (possibly lettuce) to the dog. Squeezing lime over it would be worth experimenting with, too.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Yes, it was mayo on the hot dog. And it was delicious. I also ordered three flautas that came with crema (sour cream) and shredded cabbage, but I've had that before. The Mexican hot dog was a revelation, though.

I'm going to talk to my chef cousin about this. We can replicate it at the next family gathering. The ingredients really work together. Though I'm thinking about adding some shredded cheddar and cabbage (possibly lettuce) to the dog. Squeezing lime over it would be worth experimenting with, too.

Mexican's also like their corn a similar way, with mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese.  Sounds too intense for my palette but people swear by it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
One street in town has eight or nine open-air restaurants where the seatin and cooking are done outside. They're only open in the evenings, so I decided to go try one tonight. We're getting a little heat lightning and it might rain, so it seemed like fun to have dinner outside to see the light show.

To get to the point, I went to a shop advertising hot dogs Mexican-style hot dogs. I loved it!

It's a grilled hot dog on a regular bun. Then they add mayonnaise, mustard, green salsa, chopped onions and tomatoes, topped off with refried beans.

Not ideal for a diet, but a happy surprise and I'll be coming back.

Anyway, there are a lot of food nuts here and thought this would be a good way to start a discussion of hot dogs and what you put on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds awesome, I'm definitely trying these next time I fire up the grill.  Is the mustard regular yellow mustard?

My favorite hot dog is the Chicago style dog. (I lived in Chicago for about 10 years.) I'm considering buying a kit to make some at home, since some of the toppings aren't available locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back