Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,881 of 7,711
I'll admit, those look really nice. Are they built as fine as they appear? For the price, I have a hard time believing it. But with China you never know. :)

Oh yes! Built like a tank. They are also quite comfortable but for me, not as comfy as the Mezes because they are heavier (but weight is distributed well). I just have some neck problems when I wear almost any headphone at my desk. My most comfortable are the Nighthawk, the Meze, the Kef M500, the Sennheiser HD598, the Edifier H850, the AKG K240mkii and the Amiron Home. Not necessarily in that order.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #2,882 of 7,711
Yeah.........your inventory list is INSANE. lol

I blame Headfi. Reading Headfi is bad for you! The more threads you subscribe to the worse it is, Buy a headphone or two and just leave and never come back! :)

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,883 of 7,711
I blame Headfi. Reading Headfi is bad for you! The more threads you subscribe to the worse it is, Buy a headphone or two and just leave and never come back! :)

I couldn't agree more........................LOL!

But if it wasn't for Head-Fi, I'm sure I wouldn't have never come across the 99 Cs. I'd prob be listening to Beats and thinking I was cool. lol

From your list I've only ever tried/owned the Senn HD 598SE (and 598), and also the B&O H6 (2nd Gen) (aside from the 99 Cs of course). I almost considered getting the Xduoo X5 at one point, but then I got my HTC 10 and realized I didn't need an amp/DAC anymore, though who knows how things will be on my next phone? lol If I had to go back to one, instead of the Oppo HA-2 I had, I'd prob go with the AudioQuest DragonFly Red.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,884 of 7,711
You might consider the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. If I could only keep one of my open headphones, that would probably be the one.
i was looking at the Amiron Home and it looks beautiful! Could you please describe the SQ in gist if possible. Thank you

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #2,885 of 7,711
i was looking at the Amiron Home and it looks beautiful! Could you please describe the SQ in gist if possible. Thank you

What, you don't want a full review from the fella? :wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,886 of 7,711

I have to also know the number of screws used on the HP. and yes the number of stitches on the headband too and yes the modulation of the timbre while you're at it :wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,887 of 7,711
I have to also know the number of screws used on the HP. and yes the number of stitches on the headband too and yes the modulation of the timbre while you're at it :wink:

Don't forget, most importantly... will a blue colored ear pads match well?? (all for the sake of world peace here) :grin: Shh... in case you're wondering - full story are here. It's all supposed to be classified, sensitive and a hush - hush :- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...ressions-thread.794593/page-181#post-13604409

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,888 of 7,711
Don't forget, most importantly... will a blue colored ear pads match well?? (all for the sake of world peace here) :grin: Shh... in case you're wondering - full story are here. It's all supposed to be classified, sensitive and a hush - hush :- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...ressions-thread.794593/page-181#post-13604409
:D
Those pads are long gone mate! With a heavy heart i look them off myself. Let me tell you how It was painful and sad at the same time. I really couldn't live without the bass the stock large pads give. No Sir, not even for world peace :wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,889 of 7,711

Let Pinky do it! I am terrible at that. Plus i am distracted right now by my new Sivgas and my new(very old) Sennheiser HD 580s - only just got the new headband padding and earpads a couple of days ago.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,890 of 7,711
Let Pinky do it! I am terrible at that. Plus i am distracted right now by my new Sivgas and my new(very old) Sennheiser HD 580s - only just got the new headband padding and earpads a couple of days ago.
Thats great! How are the 007's treating you? Those woddies right?! Alright @PinkyPowers start counting the stitches :wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,891 of 7,711
:D
Those pads are long gone mate! With a heavy heart i look them off myself. Let me tell you how It was painful and sad at the same time. I really couldn't live without the bass the stock large pads give. No Sir, not even for world peace :wink:

Yay!!!

I will sleep better tonight knowing this! No more nightmares about blue pads attacking my headphones!

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,892 of 7,711
Yay!!!

I will sleep better tonight knowing this! No more nightmares about blue pads attacking my headphones!
et tu mbwilson ! :frowning2:
There you go, i have changed my job profile and act for better sleep patterns across the world! Still trying to do my bit :)

@PinkyPowers Please do help me with an open back suggestion that wont render me homeless.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,893 of 7,711
Thats great! How are the 007's treating you? Those woddies right?! Alright @PinkyPowers start counting the stitches :wink:

Wonderful headphones. Yes, woodies. I added a comment to the entry in my list..."eveyone needs these"

...and a Meze of course!

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #2,895 of 7,711
Hello

I have the 99 Classics. I like them. A lot. They are a big step up from my MY2010 B&W P5 and they are run through Modi2/Vali2 stack.
At the moment I'm in the market for an open back set of headphones and have my eyes firmly on the Focal Elear. Anyone has comparisons between the two? Are the Elear considerably better and worth 3x the price (I'm mostly interested in owning an open back pair)

I have heard both, but not compared them directly. However, the Elear stand out from all headphones I have ever tried in that they sounded like I was listening to proper speakers that were relatively close to me. They got completely out of the way.
I loved the sound with all genres I threw at them.
However that was before I had a better idea of imaging, resolution and soundstage, so I cannot describe the differences very well beyond that. I would expect the 99 Classics to have noticeably more bass, though the Elear have great bass for open headphones.
There are lots of headphones that I don't like the sound of, but I liked both the Elear and the 99 Classics, so maybe you would, too.
The Elear are definitely the more special cans. 3x as good? That depends on what tickles you in particular, you have to try it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back