Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,091 of 7,711
Yeah but as I said, I do have access to my husbands 99 Classics as well.

I can't answer that question right now as I like them all for various reasons and I have gotten too much too fast... damn headfi!

Oh yeah. When I reread your post I skimmed right over that and forgot! Well I'm sure he'll let you. lol

Haha.................DAMN you Head-Fi! :L3000:

I'd prob go krazy if I had even half as many as you did. But that's prob why I tell people I'm "Audiophile Lite". lol

I look forward to your review, and Mudd's too (if he buys it that is).

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #3,092 of 7,711
i am most certain, from my taste of the ifi sound and going by my experience with the BL, the 99c will be a great pairing with the iCAN SE.

I hope you are correct and I can't wait. Also curious what it can do with the Grado's.

Shane D

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #3,093 of 7,711
Yeah I hope you do get top dollar on them. Oh you got the Maple/Silver ones? That should sell for more b/c they're kinda hard to find now since yeah, Meze discontinued that model.

How did you get the larger (white) pads for the Maple/Silver one? I'd read they only made the smaller (original) pads in that color for that model.

Well within the $300-$500 price range the only ones I could think of that I'd suggest you look into are the Mitchell and Johnson MJ2 Portable Electrostatic Headphones, which are made in London. They are like electrostatic headphones but they are combined with cone drivers (aka "hybrid electrostats"), so they don't have the high power requirements that electrostatic headphones do, but offer the same high level of clarity. I've never tried them, but am interested to, one day. They seem pretty well-rated in both online reviews and here on Head-Fi. I would say they're AT least worth checking out as they also have wooden ear cups, and they are closed-back low-impedance headphones as well. One Head-Fi'er from that thread mentioned to me that the soundstage isn't vast, but that he felt what it lacked in soundstage it added back in greater detail than he's ever heard from headphones.

You can buy them on (U.S.) Amazon here. Let us know what you get when you do and how it compares to the 99 Cs.

Good luck!
I don't really like the looks of those but maybe I'll do a bit more research. I have actually been eyeing some used Fostex TH-X00. Any thoughts on those?

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #3,094 of 7,711
I don't really like the looks of those but maybe I'll do a bit more research. I have actually been eyeing some used Fostex TH-X00. Any thoughts on those?

Ok sounds good! I prefer the looks of the 99 C too myself, but I think they're still worth checking into, since you're lookin' that is.

I've heard that Fostex one is kinda overrated by someone I trust a lot on here (akg fanboy), as I too was eyein' those a while back as well. So I would pass on 'em, but up to you.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,096 of 7,711
Hey Mudd...........thanks for sharing. These sound interesting! I'm always looking for headphones to add to my "Best Of" list, in all different price ranges. IF these actually can outdo the $309 99 Cs for only $146, that would be something. After taking a quick look, I do like the D-shaped ear pads, the detachable cable option, that it also comes with its own hard case, the comfort seems to be there too (per many reviews), the also low impedance rating, and the sound quality appears to be great as well. But I WILL say this about the 99 Cs...........as mentioned in my review, it was only AFTER I applied a custom EQ of mine onto the 99 Cs that they really sounded good. Initially, I was impressed but didn't think they were better than my AKG K551s, but the EQ changed all of that in an instant!

Thank you, everyone, and all the pages on this thread that I have read starting with page 1. I'm just still a little on the fence about whether to buy the classics or not. Could just be a case of, do I really need another headphone at this point. LOL

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #3,097 of 7,711
Well that intrigued me enough to place an order with Amazon UK. I did NOT need another headphone...especially since I have been getting into IEMs and buds a bit. Never believed before that they could actually sound good. I have memories of the horrible ones that were included with various devices back in the day.

The Koss will arrive tomorrow. I just had to take up the challenge to compare them with my Neo and my husband's Classics (if he lets me borrow them). I need to quit reading these threads!

BTW I cannot do the detailed critical comparisons that some of you do or expect. I will probably just get swept into the music and forget to compare.

A big shout out to you for your generous thread participation, experiences, and grande wallet. I can tell you really have fun here. Keep it coming!

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #3,098 of 7,711
Thank you, everyone, and all the pages on this thread that I have read starting with page 1. I'm just still a little on the fence about whether to buy the classics or not. Could just be a case of, do I really need another headphone at this point. LOL

I'm guessing that's a question A LOT of ppl on here ask themselves on a regular basis. lol

You're welcome.

If I were you Mudd, I'd honestly just buy both the Koss and Meze headphones, spend a week or so comparing them, and then keep the one I like most. I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to see you do a comparison review of the two. I know I would! lol

If you buy from Amazon, make sure to buy the ones sold by or at least fulfilled by Amazon. Those are easier to return. Just use the reason "Inaccurate Website Description" or something like that and they will cover the return shipping too.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #3,099 of 7,711
I'm guessing that's a question A LOT of ppl on here ask themselves on a regular basis. lol

You're welcome.

If I were you Mudd, I'd honestly just buy both the Koss and Meze headphones, spend a week or so comparing them, and then keep the one I like most. I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to see you do a comparison review of the two. I know I would! lol

If you buy from Amazon, make sure to buy the ones sold by or at least fulfilled by Amazon. Those are easier to return. Just use the reason "Inaccurate Website Description" or something like that and they will cover the return shipping too.

...or just keep them both!

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #3,100 of 7,711
A big shout out to you for your generous thread participation, experiences, and grande wallet. I can tell you really have fun here. Keep it coming!

Now I feel a little guilty. Often I post on here when my husband is away working hard to pad that wallet. I need to climb back onto that fence and stay there!

I'd prob go krazy if I had even half as many as you did. But that's prob why I tell people I'm "Audiophile Lite". lol

I think I went krazy a long time ago! I know what you mean though... sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed knowing that some really good headphones are not being used enough. Only so many hours in the day and I do have other things going on....sometimes...

I am not an "Audiophile" at all... at least not in the sense of the word that is usually meant on headfi. I am not searching for an ultimate "endgame" as I do not believe such a thing actually exists. I just get curious about different headphones (and now a few iems and buds as well). I think I adjust pretty well to different sound signatures and appreciate them. I enjoy what my "sidegrades" bring to my listening experience. It all comes down to the music in the end. I have loved music since I was a small child... so forever really.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3,101 of 7,711
Ok sounds good! I prefer the looks of the 99 C too myself, but I think they're still worth checking into, since you're lookin' that is.

I've heard that Fostex one is kinda overrated by someone I trust a lot on here (akg fanboy), as I too was eyein' those a while back as well. So I would pass on 'em, but up to you.
Well it looks like my search continues, as I was under the impression the Fostex TH-X00 were CLOSED back. Apparently they are actually semi-closed, so these won't work for my office environment. :frowning2: Might just have to stick with my ATH-M50x.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #3,102 of 7,711
No specific link directing you specifically to that one review. However it is on the Amazon US reviews. Try this :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00MCVOT48/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_viewopt_srt?sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1
I can not imagi
Well it looks like my search continues, as I was under the impression the Fostex TH-X00 were CLOSED back. Apparently they are actually semi-closed, so these won't work for my office environment. :frowning2: Might just have to stick with my ATH-M50x.
I do not know what you try to search, just get meze99c from amazon if you will not like it you can return but i give you 90 percent that it will be a keeper, i was sceptical as well, but now i'm back to music life

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,103 of 7,711
I can not imagi

I do not know what you try to search, just get meze99c from amazon if you will not like it you can return but i give you 90 percent that it will be a keeper, i was sceptical as well, but now i'm back to music life
If you look back a few pages, you'll see I already have the Meze 99 classics and will be selling them (as it's past the return window). They sound great but I have comfort issues with the ear pads. All third party pads I have tried changed the sound too much (for the worse). I know you were just trying to help though so thank you! :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3,105 of 7,711
I think I went krazy a long time ago! I know what you mean though... sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed knowing that some really good headphones are not being used enough. Only so many hours in the day and I do have other things going on....sometimes...

I am not an "Audiophile" at all... at least not in the sense of the word that is usually meant on headfi. I am not searching for an ultimate "endgame" as I do not believe such a thing actually exists. I just get curious about different headphones (and now a few iems and buds as well). I think I adjust pretty well to different sound signatures and appreciate them. I enjoy what my "sidegrades" bring to my listening experience. It all comes down to the music in the end. I have loved music since I was a small child... so forever really.

Well I think perhaps that you're also an Audiophile Lite then. I like to have SOME technical knowledge of the headphones I buy or check out, but I don't like the idea of having more than one premium headphone at a time (I have a cheap $25 Sony one I use on my Desktop PC only, but I don't count that one lol). I guess you could say I AM looking for an "endgame" headphone. You don't believe in that, but you do believe in owning several headphones that will get you as close to that as possible, which I may not agree with but DO respect.

I'm more focused on finding one perfect sound signature, while you prefer to appreciate all of them for their own unique pros & cons. But yes, in the end, it's ALL about loving music. :L3000:

Yeah me too, always been big on music. Even played guitar and wrote songs with other musicians for a while some years ago. And I see concerts often. I'm going TONIGHT actually to see Sublime with Rome and The Offspring in downtown (Chicago) right near Lake Michigan with some friends. Can't wait!

Well again, if you do get the Koss one, let us know your thoughts, even if it's just basic stuff vs. the 99 Cs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back