Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #3,766 of 7,712
It's not odd at all. The cable is the only thing that determines Left and Right. The drivers don't care one way or another. But you ears will. Stereo audio is mastered to create a 3D environment. If you mix up the L&R signal so they hit your opposite ears, the environment will be inverted.

For instance, say you're playing a game. Obviously, L&R sounds will be switched. But it gets weirder. Sounds that are supposed to come from behind you will seem to generate from the front. That's what happens when the exact science of sound engineering is flipped on its head.

Put on your Meze's however you like. Just make sure the cables are leading to the correct ears. :wink:
My cables are inputted the correct way. So tell us then, why wouldn’t Meze, like basically every other company, place the R L on each cup? This question has come up by other people in the past. I would think it would be quite simple to embed a letter somewhere. Using the headband as a guide was easy enough for me and “logical” but not for everyone. Obviously, it does make a difference

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #3,767 of 7,712
So tell us then, why wouldn’t Meze, like basically every other company, place the R L on each cup?

Sweet god, man. Did you not understand what I just wrote? It's irrelevant! The cups don't care. The drivers inside those cups don't care. Only the cable will determine what is Left and what is Right.

Meze built their headphones perfectly symmetrical. There is genuinely, electrically, and physically, no left or right.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #3,770 of 7,712
I think I know what Koover is getting at. If you're not using the cable with the mic, and you take the headphones off momentarily, but leave the cables connected, it's then difficult to tell left from right without closely looking at the cable ends. In this context, it would make sense for Meze to color-code the ends of the cables (not the earcups themselves).

Or as Darren suggests, simply take note of the lettering on the headband.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,775 of 7,712
This conversations awesome ha. I like the idea of setting the cables up so that you read the top headband correctly when you put them on. I do the same thing for my HD600’s. I make sure I read Sennheiser correctly before putting them on.

I use my hd600’s for gaming a lot so I just made doing that a habit. The same would work for the Meze’s

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,776 of 7,712
This conversations awesome ha. I like the idea of setting the cables up so that you read the top headband correctly when you put them on. I do the same thing for my HD600’s. I make sure I read Sennheiser correctly before putting them on.

I use my hd600’s for gaming a lot so I just made doing that a habit. The same would work for the Meze’s

TBH, my OCD kicks in and I also do that, but I like the concept of having more freedom :)

Mar 12, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,778 of 7,712
I'm am getting more info about the meze 99 classic/Neo for an upcoming video I am doing. I am listening to them versus the Aeon Flow Closed currently since both cans will be in said video. I'm amazed how well the Meze the holds its own against the AFC. Its so freaking engaging and fun to listen to. I have the candy land to pick from, but have no desire right now to take them off. Listening to my jam right now "Haitian Divorce" by Steely Dan. I really enjoy the bass boost and how tight it still can be. I don't feel distracted by the bass, it just adds good body to the sound I feel. I really like the punch this headphone brings as well. It's not super punchy but still present and adds to the fun.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3,779 of 7,712
Listening to these right now at work with my LG V30, as I do every day at work (lunch). AWESOME combination. I do sometimes wonder about all fuss and expense with the several pairs at home and the amp. While I do love playing around at home, I never feel underserved at work with this combo.

Shane D

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3,780 of 7,712
Listening to my jam right now "Haitian Divorce" by Steely Dan.
The Dan have some of the best test stuff, also for just enjoyment. "Babylon Sisters" is considered by many to be their best overall mix - for reference. "Glamour Profession" is the ultimate to lay back and listen to. "AJA" too. Excellent mix of course, full range. Good cans bring the thunder in Steve Gadd's amazing one take drum track. That amazes everyone doing the drums on the title song on their biggest selling album to their approval when some musicians did hundreds or thousands of takes until they got a performance they like. Their being the most perfectionistic ever to the point of OCD doesn't make me feel so bad about my far less severe perfectionism when engineering a project. Funny you'd said "Haitian Divorce", as I was just listening to The Royal Scam album. I met Elliot Scheiner who mixed their later work, and Bob Ludwig, who mastered "Gaucho", both worked with the other famous nit-pickers, The Eagles. Elliot said they Dan was the most extreme. He recalls Becker & Fagan telling producer Gary Katz to fire a singer because they didn't like the sound of his voice, when he was just warming up (he hadn't even sung anything yet).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back