Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #5,566 of 7,710
Though the finish is totally different, the Classics and Noir both use walnut for their cups. As with any natural material, sourcing matters. They may not be from the same supplier. And if reducing shipping costs are how they can offer the Noir for $100 less, then they’re probably using a local (Chinese) supplier for the wood. That said, I don’t know how different in reality they would be from one another. People have remarked that the Classics are not heavy, and neither are the Noir, so if there was a density difference in the wood, the Noir would be even lighter in grams. Quality control might see to it that they’re not acoustically distinguishable. It’s something to ask Massdrop directly.
Good response, thank you.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #5,567 of 7,710
For myself, I'm not quite sure I'd describe the 99s as stuffy. I also don't have the Noir version.
For me -
Both headphones are full bodied, but the 99 is more forward and aggressive. The H6 is just a softer, lighter full with a greater sense of air.
99s have an attack type of presentation. The H6 is more of a decay type of presentation. Mids are a little further back with the H6, where they are front and center with the 99s. All of that being said, both cans make great all purpose headphones for most genres. It's just a matter of deciding which suits the individuals desires best.
Which is exactly why I'm having such a hard time choosing between the two. They're both excellent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But now that I've spent a lot more time comparing the two today...I think I'm now starting to lean towards the H6; I think their tonal balance is more even, which I feel works better for all genres. They sound closer to how I would think a recording is supposed to sound. I've come across a lot of cases where the bass of the 99 Noir is a little too much. The mids are better on the 99N, but they're not THAT much better. They sound fuller, but they also don't sound a smooth. I suppose the 99 isn't stuffy really, I think now that I've gotten used to them that's gone away, but they still sound less clear than the H6.

I also don't think the new original pads that come with the Noir are the same as the pads of the original 99C. They don't line up with Tyll's original measurements and they sound almost as bassy as the current Classics pads. From my understanding, the original 99C only has a slight bass emphasis.

Anyway, they're both excellent, it's just that I can only pick one to bring to work with me on the daily lol

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #5,568 of 7,710
Which is exactly why I'm having such a hard time choosing between the two. They're both excellent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But now that I've spent a lot more time comparing the two today...I think I'm now starting to lean towards the H6; I think their tonal balance is more even, which I feel works better for all genres. They sound closer to how I would think a recording is supposed to sound. I've come across a lot of cases where the bass of the 99 Noir is a little too much. The mids are better on the 99N, but they're not THAT much better. They sound fuller, but they also don't sound a smooth. I suppose the 99 isn't stuffy really, I think now that I've gotten used to them that's gone away, but they still sound less clear than the H6.

I also don't think the new original pads that come with the Noir are the same as the pads of the original 99C. They don't line up with Tyll's original measurements and they sound almost as bassy as the current Classics pads. From my understanding, the original 99C only has a slight bass emphasis.

Anyway, they're both excellent, it's just that I can only pick one to bring to work with me on the daily lol
Screenshot_2019-03-24-23-06-31.png

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #5,572 of 7,710

Hence "new original" and not just "original" :dt880smile:

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5,573 of 7,710
Actually, these are my exact settings. Sorry for multiple posts.
No worries thanks! This might sound strange but I’m one of those that doesn’t like using EQ, I’d rather leave the headphone tuned the way it should and listen that way; no compromises. Even then I could just EQ the H6 to bring up that low mids dip and still not need to keep the Meze. But I do appreciate you sharing your EQ settings, many other new Noir owners might enjoy tinkering around with it :)

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #5,574 of 7,710
Head's up to any interested parties: The Meze 99 balanced cables popped up as back in stock on amazon. Only a couple left!

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #5,575 of 7,710
Head's up to any interested parties: The Meze 99 balanced cables popped up as back in stock on amazon. Only a couple left!
Oh man...I was considering selling these to fund the DT177X but now this makes the decision harder. Headphone manufacturers pls stop making such enticing products :frowning2: lol

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #5,576 of 7,710
Oh man...I was considering selling these to fund the DT177X but now this makes the decision harder. Headphone manufacturers pls stop making such enticing products :frowning2: lol

Haha. I suspect the purchase is only worth it if you have a superior balanced out somewhere in your collection. For me, it's my DAP. I got the Noir for transportable use, so I definitely got the cable. My EQ settings are also pretty minor compared to yours. :wink:

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #5,577 of 7,710
Haha. I suspect the purchase is only worth it if you have a superior balanced out somewhere in your collection. For me, it's my DAP. I got the Noir for transportable use, so I definitely got the cable. My EQ settings are also pretty minor compared to yours. :wink:
Lol. My Fiio has balanced out which is supposed to be superior to the SE on the AMP/DAC.

May 1, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #5,579 of 7,710
Yes, finally.

Small 61 mm height x 44 mm width x 21 mm depth: ±1mm

So, are the same as the originals or the new small noir ones?

Edit:

"The first batch of Meze 99 Classics had an interior earpad size of 40mm X 55mm ± 1mm.

As of April 2016, the Meze 99 Classics, all color variations, come with an interior earpad size of 50mm X 60mm ± 1mm.

Third version: 64 mm height x 45 mm width x 23 mm depth: ±1mm"

Edit2: Noir:
Stock 99 (Noir & Classics) Meze Pad: 60mm, 50mm (H,W,) Backing Material: Black Mesh
New “Original” Meze Pad: 67.5mm, 50mm (H,W,) Backing Material: Black Mesh with foam.

So, I'm sooooooo confused right now.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #5,580 of 7,710
If you guys just stop comparing the sound signature of the latest earpads iteration of this headphone with its previous 'better' one, how much would the sound worth at its current price? Under? Over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back