Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #7,381 of 7,710
Mar 7, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #7,382 of 7,710
Ooh, interesting. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of an STL? I've searched all the big sites for Meze and nothing came up

There is this mod which is non destructive and you don't need new parts. You might want to add something to seal around the plug like the author suggests:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yUFzCXF

You could try to contact https://www.reddit.com/user/axels01/ for their 3d model to print or check out https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...nyone_here_modded_their_meze_99_classic_port/

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #7,383 of 7,710
L1011298.jpg

L1011299.jpg
L1011302.jpg
L1011303.jpg
L1011305.jpg
L1011306.jpg
L1011307.jpg
L1011308.jpg

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #7,385 of 7,710

Wow, this is extra ordinary, studio grade photo with an audiophile passion, something don't come very often in our community.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #7,386 of 7,710
Built to last, not to be replaced. The 99 Classics can be easily taken apart then put back together, which allows us to service and replace any part that might need it.

1646896381127.png

Photo by Samtavs

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 13, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #7,387 of 7,710
I just added the 99 Classics to the headphone family after deciding I needed something a bit lively and suited to rock and metal. I've owned and enjoyed Grados before, but I was hoping for something with a bit more oomph in the low end.

The 99s arrived yesterday along with the new Ghost album; I was going to burn them in, but after listening for a few minutes I just decided I'd burn them in while listening. I ended up spending way more time than I expected listening to these, and I was right back to them this morning.

Some initial impressions:
  • Overall impression is that these are just ridiculously fun headphones. The sound signature is rich and meaty. Nothing is missing; it's all present and accounted for, and it fits together in a way that sounds right.
  • My ears are not symmetrical, so headphone and IEM fit is not always a guarantee for me. That said, these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. I haven't hit any fatigue yet, and I could even lay down with them on comfortably.
  • If your top priority is the widest possible soundstage and tons of air and sparkle in the high end, these won't fit the bill. However, the soundstage is impressive for closed back. My go-to closed back until now has been the Sony MDRV6, which are more neutral and smaller-sounding.
  • Build quality is as premium as advertised. I've had issues with other brands at a similar price point, but these feel like they are built to last.
  • I usually don't care about how headphones look. I mean, it's not like I can even see them while listening. These are beauties, though.
I've always been strictly mid-fi. I don't own any TOTL headphones, but someday when I get to those, I'll definitely check out the premium Meze offerings.

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #7,388 of 7,710
I just added the 99 Classics to the headphone family after deciding I needed something a bit lively and suited to rock and metal. I've owned and enjoyed Grados before, but I was hoping for something with a bit more oomph in the low end.

The 99s arrived yesterday along with the new Ghost album; I was going to burn them in, but after listening for a few minutes I just decided I'd burn them in while listening. I ended up spending way more time than I expected listening to these, and I was right back to them this morning.

Some initial impressions:
  • Overall impression is that these are just ridiculously fun headphones. The sound signature is rich and meaty. Nothing is missing; it's all present and accounted for, and it fits together in a way that sounds right.
  • My ears are not symmetrical, so headphone and IEM fit is not always a guarantee for me. That said, these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. I haven't hit any fatigue yet, and I could even lay down with them on comfortably.
  • If your top priority is the widest possible soundstage and tons of air and sparkle in the high end, these won't fit the bill. However, the soundstage is impressive for closed back. My go-to closed back until now has been the Sony MDRV6, which are more neutral and smaller-sounding.
  • Build quality is as premium as advertised. I've had issues with other brands at a similar price point, but these feel like they are built to last.
  • I usually don't care about how headphones look. I mean, it's not like I can even see them while listening. These are beauties, though.
I've always been strictly mid-fi. I don't own any TOTL headphones, but someday when I get to those, I'll definitely check out the premium Meze offerings.
I'm glad that you find these great for metal, but personally, I find that the bass is a bit too much and it makes everything too busy. I have tried EQing the bass down and doing A/B tests, and I have found that the whole environment is cleaner with lesser bass, and I can hear the guitar properly. But EQing the bass takes away the visceral feeling and the slam too, so it's a tradeoff. I really want to listen to metal without EQing, and I try to, but I have found myself gravitating towards the EQ option more.

As a person who merely dabbles in metal sometimes and is not a proper metalhead, am I doing something wrong? Are the songs supposed to sound busy?

Albums I have sampled:
Entombed: Left Hand Path
Dimmu Borgir: Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Slayer: Divine Intervention

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #7,389 of 7,710
I'm glad that you find these great for metal, but personally, I find that the bass is a bit too much and it makes everything too busy. I have tried EQing the bass down and doing A/B tests, and I have found that the whole environment is cleaner with lesser bass, and I can hear the guitar properly. But EQing the bass takes away the visceral feeling and the slam too, so it's a tradeoff. I really want to listen to metal without EQing, and I try to, but I have found myself gravitating towards the EQ option more.

As a person who merely dabbles in metal sometimes and is not a proper metalhead, am I doing something wrong? Are the songs supposed to sound busy?

Albums I have sampled:
Entombed: Left Hand Path
Dimmu Borgir: Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Slayer: Divine Intervention
Try lowering the mid bass (250khz) by 3 decibels to start. Also if you're not using the smaller pads, you should.

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #7,391 of 7,710
I have come to understand that every person likes a different flavor of sound so EQ is essential.

Once you hear it with proper EQ, you cannot unhear it.

I used to like the stock sound of the 99 Classics (everything stock from factory) and I have done so for a year. If you match it with the right equipment, you can definitely enjoy it without any hacks. But after I started tinkering with EQ for fun, I just cannot go back. Switching EQ on and off during songs, the change is mind blowing.

I personally don't find them bassy (as the majority seems to conclude) but instead I tinkered with various other frequencies that made them more enjoyable to my ears.

The thing is, I have tried all the EQ settings I could find online but none were good for me. In fact, the most common ones I found sounded horrendous to me. In the end, I found one that was kind of good and then brought it to my liking. I am now extremely pleased to the point that I plan no further changes or upgrades to my system as a whole.

Here are my EQ settings. I use FabFilter Pro-Q 3, which I highly recommend. It's one of the very few EQ plugins that supports extremely high sample rates (most other EQ plugins max out at 192KHz).

Band 1
Freq: 337Hz
Gain: +1dB
Q: 3.890
Curve: Bell

Band 2
Freq: 1350Hz
Gain: -3.10dB
Q: 0.210

Band 3
Freq: 1965Hz
Gain: +0.80dB
Q: 4.610

Band 4
Freq: 3736Hz
Gain: +3dB
Q: 4.210

Band 5
Freq: 6417Hz
Gain: +2.60dB
Q: 3.810

Band 6
Freq: 7494Hz
Gain: -1.80dB
Q: 3.840

Band 7
Freq: 7716.9Hz
Gain: +2.76dB
Q: 1

Band 8
Freq: 9418Hz
Gain: +2.50dB
Q: 0.530

Band 9
Freq: 20426Hz
Gain: No gain
Q: 1.725
Curve: High Cut

Meze 99 Classics EQ.png

I initially had 10 bands but I ended up liking more the use of these 9 bands. Feel free to try them out and see if you like them. Perhaps you can use them as a starting point and then tinker to your liking. Keep in mind, these are meant to be used with the stock pads.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #7,392 of 7,710
I have come to understand that every person likes a different flavor of sound so EQ is essential.

Once you hear it with proper EQ, you cannot unhear it.

I used to like the stock sound of the 99 Classics (everything stock from factory) and I have done so for a year. If you match it with the right equipment, you can definitely enjoy it without any hacks. But after I started tinkering with EQ for fun, I just cannot go back. Switching EQ on and off during songs, the change is mind blowing.

I personally don't find them bassy (as the majority seems to conclude) but instead I tinkered with various other frequencies that made them more enjoyable to my ears.

The thing is, I have tried all the EQ settings I could find online but none were good for me. In fact, the most common ones I found sounded horrendous to me. In the end, I found one that was kind of good and then brought it to my liking. I am now extremely pleased to the point that I plan no further changes or upgrades to my system as a whole.

Here are my EQ settings. I use FabFilter Pro-Q 3, which I highly recommend. It's one of the very few EQ plugins that supports extremely high sample rates (most other EQ plugins max out at 192KHz).

Band 1
Freq: 337Hz
Gain: +1dB
Q: 3.890

Band 2
Freq: 1350Hz
Gain: -3.10dB
Q: 0.210

Band 3
Freq: 1965Hz
Gain: +0.80dB
Q: 4.610

Band 4
Freq: 3736Hz
Gain: +3dB
Q: 4.210

Band 5
Freq: 6417Hz
Gain: +2.60dB
Q: 3.810

Band 6
Freq: 7494Hz
Gain: -1.80dB
Q: 3.840

Band 7
Freq: 7716.9Hz
Gain: +2.76dB
Q: 1

Band 8
Freq: 9418Hz
Gain: +2.50dB
Q: 0.530

Band 9
Freq: 20426Hz
Gain: No gain
Q: 1.725
Curve: High Cut

I initially had 10 bands but I ended up liking more the use of these 9 bands. Feel free to try them out and see if you like them. Perhaps you can use them as a starting point and then tinker to your liking. Keep in mind, these are meant to be used with the stock pads.

Happy listening!
Sorry for replying so late, I'll try this. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #7,393 of 7,710
I apologize if this has been answered before but it's tough digging through this entire thread:

Aside from comfort, is there any sonic difference between the Brainwavz microsuede earpads vs. velour?

Aside from EQ'ing, I'm looking to see if I can tone down that midbass hump/bloom. Thanks in advance.

May 4, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #7,394 of 7,710
I apologize if this has been answered before but it's tough digging through this entire thread:

Aside from comfort, is there any sonic difference between the Brainwavz microsuede earpads vs. velour?

Aside from EQ'ing, I'm looking to see if I can tone down that midbass hump/bloom. Thanks in advance.
I'd go after the smaller Meze pads myself, or spring for the Dekonis.

May 4, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #7,395 of 7,710

Not comfort or audio, but the Brainwavz Microsuede are so heavy with dye that they leave purple stains everywhere I put them down. They even stained my wall after I hung them there for a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back