Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #7,441 of 7,710
And what about the brainwaz pads that mention earlier in this thread? I remember they said it was the best of all
I didn't bother with the Brainwavz pads, they don't fit as cleanly as stock pads do. Great for other headphones but it spoils the aesthetics of the 99s IMHO.

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #7,442 of 7,710
Guys the more I read the more I confuse. I was reading in reddit /headphone people who bought classic with the new pads that sound boomy, muddy, the bass bleed in midrange area and general not recommended, even some people had change pads and had same experience. All of them had read great reviews so the expectations was big, and when they listen blahhh..... Is there any chance they have right?
At last is the bass punchy with very good quality and quantity when bass exist in songs?
I can't listen them in my country Greece.
Pls help

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #7,443 of 7,710
Guys the more I read the more I confuse. I was reading in reddit /headphone people who bought classic with the new pads that sound boomy, muddy, the bass bleed in midrange area and general not recommended, even some people had change pads and had same experience. All of them had read great reviews so the expectations was big, and when they listen blahhh..... Is there any chance they have right?
At last is the bass punchy with very good quality and quantity when bass exist in songs?
I can't listen them in my country Greece.
Pls help
I used it several months before changing the pads (I have the version with larger pads) and I never thought it was boomy and "awful" as some people say. When you read such reviews, you have the feeling, the classic is a kind of beats by dre. But it's not true at all.

Also really depends of your source, taste and cable. The change of the stock cable is a great improvement.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #7,445 of 7,710
They said is more boomy than beats.
Not true at all... the 99c wouldn't have this success in audiophile world with such a sound

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #7,447 of 7,710
Also I read in fb where in canjan London most retailers use classic for testing their system. And after that reading all I mention i TOTALY Confused. So okk
I know musicians who use this headphone but I can't guarantee it will fit your taste.

Maybe you can buy it at Amazon like I did and send it back if you don't like it

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #7,449 of 7,710
I just want clear punchy bass with quality not mess in other frequencies and the sound to be clear,
I like bass a lot, just to have quality
Hi, i bought the 99 classics with big pads and found them far too bassy - the bass was boomy and bled into the midrange. I then purchased the small pads and the siver cable from meze. These (expensive though) transform the classics into a wonderful headphone which works well portably and through a desktop headphone amplifier.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #7,450 of 7,710
Hi, i bought the 99 classics with big pads and found them far too bassy - the bass was boomy and bled into the midrange. I then purchased the small pads and the siver cable from meze. These (expensive though) transform the classics into a wonderful headphone which works well portably and through a desktop headphone amplifier.
I agree, the cable change has to be consider as soon as possible. The stock cable deserve this headphone. Regarding the small pads, the 1st version was delivered with them, so I think it's a good idea to buy them and taste. The massdrop 99c version is delivered with the 2 set of pads

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #7,452 of 7,710
Yes, you're right.

I only use the balanced cable

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #7,453 of 7,710
As a happy owner of 2 pairs (one for me and one for my wife) of the original 99 Classics for a couple of years, I can say that the headphone is great with stock pads and cable.

I EQ them to my taste but they sound nice even with stock settings. Of course, using EQ boosts performance to another level. And EQ is a free upgrade you can perform or not, so it's up to you to experiment.

My chain is MacBook Pro -> Audirvana -> SMSL M400 DAC -> Feliks Audio Echo 2 OTL tube amp -> Meze Audio 99 Classics

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #7,454 of 7,710
The problem about the cable is that I don't have balance output, and I don't want to buy 2 cables x119 euro, one with 3.5mm and one with 4.4 balance. So for now I could not have the advantage of cable
You can buy one balanced in 2.5 for example and use it with a 3.5mm adapter. I always buy balanced cable because I can use them balanced or SE. But choose a good adapter of course not a cheap one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back