Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #7,486 of 7,704
Update for anyone who cares: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin and Meze Silver Cable - great results on Meze 99. Overall clarity is now quite precise, mid-bass bleed under controlled, sub-bass punchy and well defined, mids retained, treble airy. Dekoni pads are no the pricer side, but worth it if you're keeping hold of the 99 Classics.

Synergy with Mojo 2, incidentally, very good.

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #7,487 of 7,704
Update for anyone who cares: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin and Meze Silver Cable - great results on Meze 99. Overall clarity is now quite precise, mid-bass bleed under controlled, sub-bass punchy and well defined, mids retained, treble airy. Dekoni pads are no the pricer side, but worth it if you're keeping hold of the 99 Classics.

Synergy with Mojo 2, incidentally, very good.
Yes after several tests even Yaxi pads, this combo is really my best choice.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #7,488 of 7,704
Years later and the majority of posts are Still about pads. :smile:
These are wonderful headphones! I had mine for about three years and never even thought about changing the pads. It is certainly a unique thread.

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #7,489 of 7,704
Years later and the majority of posts are Still about pads. :smile:
These are wonderful headphones! I had mine for about three years and never even thought about changing the pads. It is certainly a unique thread.

Agreed.. bass head here and the classics are one of the best for an audiophile headphone if you love that bass. Tried the OG pad and preferred the “new” pads they ship with currently. A silver litz weave cable brought in a little more top end and sparkle for me but these things are great out of the box.

Aug 28, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #7,490 of 7,704
Agreed.. bass head here and the classics are one of the best for an audiophile headphone if you love that bass. Tried the OG pad and preferred the “new” pads they ship with currently. A silver litz weave cable brought in a little more top end and sparkle for me but these things are great out of the box.
I have mine for more than 4 years and really enjoyed them out of the box. But when I changed the cable and heard the difference, I wanted to try more changes if those changes improved more the sound. So are the Dekoni pads and the silver cable for me...that's all...
For instance I don’t like the Yaxi Pads because they change the sound signature too much. I don't want that.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #7,492 of 7,704
I agree abut the silver cable but why not brainwavz hybrid pads, i have them and really like the sq, they are considerable cheaper than the Dekoni.

d
Because I had the opportunity to buy the Dekoni at a cheaper price and I'm happy with them. Don't want to try something else

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #7,493 of 7,704
I agree abut the silver cable but why not brainwavz hybrid pads, i have them and really like the sq, they are considerable cheaper than the Dekoni.

d
Well, because the price of the Brainwavz was fair I tried them. I bought the silver cable already earlier. These are really for my ears a hit. When using the Hiby R3/Mojo 2 it's a tread for my ears. Wonderfull separation. No harsh high tones but just the right amount of sparkle. Voices sound naturall. And the bass, ahhh, just the right amount, hitting you in exact the right way without irritating you. This is a Classics and class headphone, but also really need the right cable and pads.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #7,494 of 7,704
Well, because the price of the Brainwavz was fair I tried them. I bought the silver cable already earlier. These are really for my ears a hit. When using the Hiby R3/Mojo 2 it's a tread for my ears. Wonderfull separation. No harsh high tones but just the right amount of sparkle. Voices sound naturall. And the bass, ahhh, just the right amount, hitting you in exact the right way without irritating you. This is a Classics and class headphone, but also really need the right cable and pads.
Can't agree more - Meze 99, silver cable, Dekoni pads, and Mojo2/Hiby R3 = total portable perfection. Really spent a long time on different portable headphones/set-ups, and this pairing hits the mark.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #7,495 of 7,704
The 109Pro official thread is finally HERE.

As our first dynamic open-back headphone, the 109Pro is powered by a 50 mm dynamic driver, this headphone is a demonstration of our commitment to go beyond the faithful reproduction of sound to deliver pure emotion. At the heart of the headphone is the 109 series Dual-Composites diaphragm featuring a Beryllium-coated semicrystalline polymer torus, a cellulose-carbon fiber composite dome and a copper-zinc alloy ring stabilizer. This is an all-new design that sounds nothing like our previous dynamic headphones.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 17.31.28.jpeg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #7,496 of 7,704
Can't agree more - Meze 99, silver cable, Dekoni pads, and Mojo2/Hiby R3 = total portable perfection. Really spent a long time on different portable headphones/set-ups, and this pairing hits the mark.
Interesting that you like the Mojo 2 with Meze 99. With stock pads/ cable I found the low bass was out of control using a Mojo, just overblown. Have ordered the Dekoni pads, fingers crossed they help flatten out bass below 70 hz

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #7,497 of 7,704
Interesting that you like the Mojo 2 with Meze 99. With stock pads/ cable I found the low bass was out of control using a Mojo, just overblown. Have ordered the Dekoni pads, fingers crossed they help flatten out bass below 70 hz
As mentioned above, silver cable will totally eliminate bloat. I did a direct comparison with my wife's stock 99 using Mojo2 and the differences are notable. Also, only talking about Mojo2 here which has a very different presentation to Mojo OG.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #7,498 of 7,704
More inclined to order the silver cable with 4.4mm balanced connector and try it with an iBasso DC06. The micro USB connector of the mojo tends to randomly lose synch just from the Mojo shifting in my pocket. Using a DC05 at the moment, works pretty well with Meze, nice timbre but has the same bass bloom issue as Mojo

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #7,499 of 7,704
Whee first post! Got my 99 Classics a few weeks ago and have been enjoying them a lot as my first dip into 'audiophile' territory. Thought I'd give my newbie impressions on the ifi Zen Can Signature that's optimized for the 99C. But, having slogged through the 500pgs of this thread let me try to preempt any pad discourse by saying this: I'm using the stock large pads that came with my headphones and haven't tried anything else. I'm in the minority that likes their sound and comfort, so I haven't felt a need to do any pad rolling.

I started out with the Zen DAC V2, which I like a lot, but the True Bass function on that was way too much for the 99C. Added the Can Sig and the optimized version of True Bass is nice. Noticeable, but not overpowering like the original where if there's a kick drum then it's going to come first and all other instruments have to get in line. I don't listen to a ton of bass-heavy music, nor do I use it all the time, but think it'll be fun in conjunction with the 3D/Xspace effect for watching movies or playing video games. Waiting for my balanced cable to come in so I can take advantage of the balanced outputs.

All that said...would I recommend that people get it if they already have an amp setup? No, probably not. The headphones sound nice enough stock so I don't know that I'd recommend the Can Sig MZ99 over the regular Can Sig. But I'm also not returning mine to get the regular one either :grin:

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #7,500 of 7,704
Hi guys I am in search for a good dynamic headphone and was wondering about these. Are the Classic and Neo the same besides the impendance and wood(26ohm vs 32ohm)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back