Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #527 of 582
I also got the 99 Neo during the Black Friday sale. Some months later, I just wanted to give another +1 to the PU/hybrid pads for the 99 Neo. They change the sound in a very, very positive way.

With the stock pads, I found the sound... well, a mixed bag. The quality on the whole was evident, these were some very capable headphones. But on some recordings, much to my dismay, the was just a whole lot of mud due to the overwhelming bass. The PU/hybrids made for a much more enjoyable listening experience: the bass is definitely tamed, and the rest of the frequencies "come out", so to speak.

Note #1: I also have the Sonarworks True-Fi app which is supposed to "neutralize" the frequency response of selected headphones. The headphones were measured with stock pads, so you need to have them for the EQ to be accurate. However, I like the sound more with the PU/hybrids compared to the stock pads + True-Fi.

Note #2: If you don't have these pads, I've found that a similar change in sound is achieved with the EQ preset for the 99 Classics with new pads (available here) applied to the 99 Neo.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #528 of 582
So I was watching one of my favourite YouTube channels when a clip of Onision Onionboy popped up wearing a pair of 99 Neo. Never have I been more disgusted, made me sick. I truly hope he purchased them with his own money and were not sent to him by Meze. My love for Meze goes far, but I do have moral limits...

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #529 of 582
So after almost two months using the new velour pads I would like to provide an update.

These pads collect some extra fluff in comparison with the sennheiser velour pads.
Also you may like the change in sound signature or you may not but for me now the Neo is a totally different headphone.

I like it a lot and since I cannot use my other open headphones due to family constraints I am exclusively listen to them the last two months.

I do not care if 58x, 6xx or 4xx are better because simply I cannot use them where I can use my neo. With the new pads any criticism is due to ommision in comparison to a better headphone and not due to any offensive flaw.

As my previous balanced cable became faulty I decided to buy the original Meze balanced cable under the fifty percent discount. I still find 50£ a lot for a cable but from a brief listening today I can say that it deserves every penny. In combination with my beloved xCan the sound is amazing!!!

I am also happy to see Meze introducing a reasonable shipping cost option to UK! Well done!

Now I am looking forward for Meze original special tuned velour pads that will make full justice to the beloved 99 series which unquestionably deserves.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #531 of 582
So after almost two months using the new velour pads I would like to provide an update.

These pads collect some extra fluff in comparison with the sennheiser velour pads.
Also you may like the change in sound signature or you may not but for me now the Neo is a totally different headphone.

I like it a lot and since I cannot use my other open headphones due to family constraints I am exclusively listen to them the last two months.

I do not care if 58x, 6xx or 4xx are better because simply I cannot use them where I can use my neo. With the new pads any criticism is due to ommision in comparison to a better headphone and not due to any offensive flaw.

As my previous balanced cable became faulty I decided to buy the original Meze balanced cable under the fifty percent discount. I still found 50£ a lot for a cable but from a brief listening today I can say that it deserves every penny. In combination with my beloved xCan the sound is amazing!!!

I am also happy to see Meze introducing a reasonable shipping cost option to UK! Well done!

Now I am looking forward for Meze original special tuned velour pads that will make full justice to the beloved 99 series which unquestionably deserves.
Yes, which pads are you currently using? And where did you hear that Meze is releasing these new pads you mention? So are they the same as the Classics originals, only velour?

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #532 of 582
Sorry guys if I was not clear but I was following on a previous conversation:

1) Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads velour pads

2) we hope they release velour pads based on our feedback I do not know if they will ever do, hopefully they will do at some point

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #533 of 582
I love the sound of these headphones for the price but honestly I can't stand using them. The metal part of the headband makes noise/resonates every time the band underneath touches it. You can't really hear it when listening to music, but any time you wear the headphones with no sound playing, it's there, and it's really annoying. If I even open my mouth all the way to yawn, that's enough to cause friction between the two parts and make the noise. Moving around, head on a pillow, it's even worse. I can't use a pair of headphones that drives me nuts whenever sound isn't playing. It's a shame because I think the sound it really well-tuned for what it's going for, and pretty spacious for a closed-back.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #534 of 582
FDF689F6-C21D-42A2-82BB-F73509B2DC46.jpeg
Picked up the 99 Neo + balance cable for $150 at AXPONA 2019. Thank you Meze Audio!!!

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #535 of 582
Hello everybody!

We've been quite busy lately, preparing for something that everybody's here's been waiting for.

It is with great pride that we announce that the Meze 99 Neo has officially started shipping!

We can safely say that "we happy" and we hope that so will you!
I have been searching your website and YouTube. What is the difference in sound quality between Neo 99 and the more expensive Classics? Surely classics are superior hence higher price, but I like the look of Neo 99.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #536 of 582
I have been searching your website and YouTube. What is the difference in sound quality between Neo 99 and the more expensive Classics? Surely classics are superior hence higher price, but I like the look of Neo 99.

I have the Neo and love it. I prefer the look over the Classic and for some reason my Neo has less clamp than my husband's Classic. I think the price difference is because of the wood on the Classic. Many people say the Neo has more bass. There should be many comparisons in this thread, the Classics thread and the review pages.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-99-neo.22329/reviews?page=4#review-18467

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #537 of 582
So i just got the Meze 99 Neo. The only other headphones I own are Focal Clear which I listen to for 3to4 hours every evening for Movies/Music.

Perhaps the Focal Clear has spoiled me, as the Meze 99 Neo are just amateur in every way by comparison - Low end, punch, mids, high’s, imaging, sound stage and timber. So I will never listen to them at home and always pick up the Focal Clear.

Just returned the Meze to my Post Office as don’t want them.

Sorry to state my opinion, but just keeping it real in case people have high expectations.

I would like to listen to Empyrean’s, but they are way too expensive for me. For £1500 you should be able to get total awesome headphones like Focal Clears.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #538 of 582
So i just got the Meze 99 Neo. The only other headphones I own are Focal Clear which I listen to for 3to4 hours every evening for Movies/Music.

Perhaps the Focal Clear has spoiled me, as the Meze 99 Neo are just amateur in every way by comparison - Low end, punch, mids, high’s, imaging, sound stage and timber. So I will never listen to them at home and always pick up the Focal Clear.

Sorry to state my opinion, but just keeping it real in case people have high expectations.

I would like to listen to Empyrean’s, but they are way too expensive for me. For £1500 you should be able to get total awesome headphones like Focal Clears.
Yeah, I mean you are comparing a 200 dollar can to the Clear.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #539 of 582
Yeah, I mean you are comparing a 200 dollar can to the Clear.

I have not heard the Clear or any Focal headphone but I would expect the sound signature to be opposites. I enjoy many sound signatures but some people... maybe most people do not. I just settle into the music with whatever is on my head or in my ears.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #540 of 582

How much headtime did you give them? If you don’t listen to your Clear on any given day and start off with the Neo, it very well could grow on you after some quality headtime.
I own the Clear, the Neo and 99 classic and love them all. You just gotta get used to them without swapping back and forth in the same day. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back