Meze Audio Empyrean II - Gateway to sonic paradise
Nov 9, 2023 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MezeTeam

Sponsor: Meze Audio
It is with great pride and excitement that we present Empyrean II!
In the 5 years that have passed since the launch of our first planar magnetic model, we poured our time and expertise into creating a second-generation masterpiece that would surpass all expectations.

Meze Audio_Empyrean II_17.jpg

SONIC MASTERY REIMAGINED

Powered by Rinaro’s original Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver, Empyrean II delivers more of what you love: more clarity, more depth, more fun.
Our goal was to enhance the headphones’ ability to reproduce fine details and achieve a more neutral sound signature, all the while preserving the original “easy to listen to” character. We believe good things take time, so we spent months trying and testing out different tuning techniques until we finally had it. Our efforts revealed new possibilities in terms of resolution and detail retrieval, achieving a cleaner and more accurate representation of sound, when compared to the original Empyrean.

YOUR SOUND, YOUR CHOICE

Empyrean II comes with two sets of earpads included, for the ultimate sound customization.
  1. DUO EARPADS
Crafted from a precise blend of premium leather and Alcantara, the Duo Earpads introduce a contemporary dimension to the signature sound of Empyrean II. With leather forming the base half and Alcantara covering the rest, these earpads deliver a harmonious tonal balance that resonates across all music genres.
  1. ANGLED ALCANTARA EARPADS
Made of soft foam coated with Alcantara, with a fine protective mesh on the grill, the Angled Earpads excel at rendering intricate details and nuances in your recordings. Paired with Empyrean II, they create a detailed, airy and accurate listening experience, for the classic audiophile.

DSC06093.jpg

ARTISTRY MEETS COMFORT

Empyrean II retains all the beloved elements of its iconic predecessor, with an added touch of sculptural elegance. Crafted with precision via CNC milling, the aluminum frame features a sleek matte black finish with silver accents, and a redesigned grill that draws inspiration from the bold and timeless art deco patterns.

Meze Audio_Empyrean II_14.jpg

A synergy of ergonomics and premium materials, Empyrean II guarantees more than just exceptional sound – it allows you to enjoy uninterrupted hours of music with increased comfort.

Discover more: https://mezeaudio.com/products/empyrean2.

Empyrean II is one of our greatest achievements, but we didn’t do it alone. With your continuous support and honest feedback shared throughout the years, you guys have guided our journey each step of the way. For that, we thank you!

SPECIFICATIONS

OVERVIEW
Operating Principle - Open
Frequency Response - 8 – 110,000 Hz
Impedance - 32 Ω
Sensitivity - 105 dB SPL @ 1 kHz, 1 V
Maximum SPL - >130 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) - <0.05% @ 1 kHz, 1 V
Weight - ~ 385 g (without earpads)

MZ3 DRIVER SPECIFICATIONS
Driver size - 102 mm x 73 mm
Weight - 82 g
Driver Casing - Fibreglass-infused ABS
Diaphragm Type - Rinaro Isoplanar® [MZ3]
Active Area - 4650 mm2
Diaphragm Weight - 0.16 g
Acoustic Mass – 10.7 kg/m4
Lower Frequency Limit - 8 Hz
Upper-Frequency Limit - 110,000 Hz

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 4
It was posted in the main thread, but here is my review all the same:

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmm...I have a few issues here. I had some interest when I saw the original announcement, so these are on my radar now. But...

1. "Gateway to Sonic Paradise/Mastery" seems a little over the top and self proclaimed. Be excited but maybe a little more reserved?

2. This description:

"Powered by Rinaro’s original Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver, Empyrean II delivers more of what you love: more clarity, more depth, more fun.
Our goal was to enhance the headphones’ ability to reproduce fine details and achieve a more neutral sound signature, all the while preserving the original “easy to listen to” character. We believe good things take time, so we spent months trying and testing out different tuning techniques until we finally had it. Our efforts revealed new possibilities in terms of resolution and detail retrieval, achieving a cleaner and more accurate representation of sound, when compared to the original Empyrean."

Sounds to me very much like what you've already done with the Elite, right? So again, to me, this product is somewhat confusing as to what it actually is. I certainly won't speak for the community here, but I felt that the original was great, but justly slightly lacking in clarity up top...a little soft. I was hoping for just that slight change with the Empy 2. But honestly, I'm not really sure what you've done with this "sonic mastery." I'm sure that it will all be revealed in time.

3. The other issue that I had with the original is that while it was comfortable it was also somewhat heavy and eventually fatiguing when worn for longer periods. I was excited when I saw the published weight on the Empy 2 until I realized that was without pads. I suggest you publish the weight with pads so that the end user knows the "actual" weight of the headphones when they are being worn. Publishing the weight without pads, or the headband or anything other than the way they are meant to be worn comes off as somewhat dishonest and misrepresents what you are selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back