Meze Audio Empyrean Impression vs reference sample
Nov 21, 2019 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dasmodul

100+ Head-Fier
I don't do many of these written impressions (do I do any? :beyersmile:) but as a promise and thank you to Todd from TVVJ for loaning out these new reference headphones to me and Meze Audio for creating such a beast, I'm going to share what my impressions have been over the last two nights. I'm going to do things perhaps a little different than most so bare with me and let me know if this review was helpful.

How I reviewed:
So i gave great thought about how to do this as I myself am an obsessive, comparison researcher. In the end, I wanted this to help all of you more than me. I wanted to give YOU the sense of how this headphone sounds as I get to listen to it and don't need any help. So I decided to do a relative comparison to one of my favorite jack-of-all-trades headphones, the Sennheiser HD650 as a reference sample since most people have heard and know what those sound like. Also, these particular tracks I've selected all sound great to amazing on the HD650 so the starting point is already great "-".

How to interpret +/- 3 Table legend:
I created a simplified table that has 3 simple functions: 1) Give you a relative score from -3 (been a good amount worse than reference) to +3 (being significantly better than reference). 2) My overall, subjective pick for the track, sometimes despite the quantitative score and 3) Some commentary on the track/experience.
"-" = Reference HD650 quality score. By default it means great as the HD650 can do amazing justice to all these tracks.
"3" = Significantly superior to reference.
"2" = Decent amount superior to reference. Most would easily notice without effort.
"1" = Just a little bit superior than the reference. May require concentration to distinguish/choose.
"-1" = Just a little bit inferior than ref.
"-2" = Decent amount inferior. Most people would notice it without much effort.
"-3" = Significantly inferior to reference.

Finally, a little background about me:
I've been an audiophile since I was 16 and got my first car sound system. Perhaps unlike many, I was drove to audiophilia because of my love for musik, and not as much the equipment. The songs are the most important to me and I choose equipment to make them sound the best they can to my tastes and not the other way around. I grew up from the age of 3 in a musikal family where i was trained to listen, appreciate musik from almost every country/region regardless if i could understand it. I'm very thankful as it has opened up so many worlds of sounds to me most people don't get a chance to appreciate. I'm including some from many different countries even in this short list from Denmark to Saudi Arabia to England to India and South Africa. I've included links in my table to YouTube so you can listen along as you read the review table to get a better sense of what i meant also.

****DISCLAIMER/WARNING*****
There is one hip-hop track by Die Antwoord called "Evil Boy" in my list. They are a highly talented hip-hop group from South Africa who's imagery is designed by a renowned, avant-garde urban/Afrikaans artist. They are, especially to western standards, many times quite shocking and sometimes disturbing to the senses before you can appreciate them. So please, take care and perhaps not watch it if you are easily offended/disturbed :)

Now without further ado, here are a few photos and a link to my table.

------>>>> http://www.mpcreations.com/temp/MezeEmpyrean.htm

empy_01.jpg

empy_02.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Quick additional notes not included in table about my overall impression of the Empyrean I would like to add:

Fit/Comfort: These are one of the most luxurious/comfortable MP headphones i have ever used. Perhaps if my old LCD-2s were as light and comfy as these i would have kept them longer :-D. They were, i dare say even more seamless than the HD650 on my head which is a super comfortable headphone for me.

Overall: The Meze Audio Empyrean is a true reference class headphone. It is not ostentatious in any manner of its presentation. The sound is, for the most part, detailed, and full with great sound stage. There is ample, detailed bass to make most songs very engaging. Probably shouldn't be the first choice for a bass-head user, but unlike some reference headphones, it is not sterile at all. It's very musical with just enough touch of warmth to round out hard edges in some tracks. One thing i kept coming back to was its control over frequencies. These headphones herd the extremes of all frequencies with the confidence of a master shepard.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 11
This is fantastic, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
I have the 650 (6xx) and the lcd-2c running of the Woo wa6-se listening to mostly edm and rock.
Love the 6xx, loving the 2c a little bit more.

I’ve been thinking about the Empyrean, but in New Zealand it’s crazy expensive. In relative terms I got the 6xx for $300, the 2c for $770 and the Empyrean is $5,500.

I know about the law of diminishing returns, but it’s hard to justify that expense based on the small improvement.

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 11
I hear what you're saying Nigel. The LODR is very prevalent in this hobby. After a certain level of product, it get's really close. Of course if the disposable income is there why not but as you said, is the little bits worth x amount? For me it usually is a particular song that pushes me to spend the extra $500 or $2000 (lol). If i really like a song and the equipment juuust doesn't present it the way i want to, when I do find one that does it's a huge motivator. It's how I ended up with my Focals and Questyle at a meet. Put on my track and boom..i thought THIS is how this song should sound..."how much?" :gs1000smile:

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Nice impressions. Is there any place where your table notes are available? In the given link I just get a server error message.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Dec 1, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Nice impressions. Is there any place where your table notes are available? In the given link I just get a server error message.
I was working. I just checked and saw this as well. I've contacted my host to see what's up. Will post here when link is fixed again.

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 11
My host ISP has repaired it and the link should be working again. Please take a look.

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 11
My host ISP has repaired it and the link should be working again. Please take a look.
Good music, detailed impressions, many thanks.
I do not know how the sound is coded on youtube, but the qobuz CD/HiRes version was a long way better for each track.

Dec 1, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Good music, detailed impressions, many thanks.
I do not know how the sound is coded on youtube, but the qobuz CD/HiRes version was a long way better for each track.
Of course. YouTube sounds like shize. I just had the links so people can get an idea of what I talked about and follow along :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Nice comparison.
Very detailed and fluid to read.
Table is great.
I do like the Empyrian too, but can't afford them at the moment. :)
Tried them at "Schall und Rauch" located in Munich.
One of the most comfortable headphones out there.

Would like to read such a comparison with my Quad Era-1. ^^

Well done, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back