Meze Audio introduces LIRIC 2nd Generation - The Art of Evolution
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

MezeTeam

Sponsor: Meze Audio
Hello, everyone!

Lately, we took some time to reflect and we used this opportunity to grow and change for the better. We appreciate this beautiful community’s support and the feedback you’ve provided over the years. We’re here to say that we listened. Without further ado, we invite you to join our quest to evolve! This is the evolution of the LIRIC headphones – LIRIC 2nd Generation!

Meze Audio_Liric 2_06.jpg

The new LIRIC, our closed-back isodynamic headphone is turning the page on a new chapter, enhancing its essence while introducing a richer sound and refined tuning.

Macassar ebony wood adorns the ear cups, extending an invitation to connect with the feeling of warmth that only Mother Nature can provide.

Meze Audio_Liric 2_20.jpg

DESIGNED FOR LIFE

In the spirit of natural evolution, LIRIC joins the Meze Audio family of products with detachable magnetic ear pads. This design choice ultimately translates into enhanced reliability and serviceability, characteristics that audiophiles and music enthusiasts worldwide have grown accustomed to.

DSC01034.jpg

TUNED UP

The sound of the LIRIC has been refined with the help of our community’s feedback, and it now falls in between a balanced and a warm profile. This means you get a mix of clear and accurate audio, with a touch of warmth for added depth.

QWRM

The Quarter Wavelength Resonator Mask is a precision-crafted metal component that strategically covers select openings in the driver frame, to effectively attenuate high-frequency peaks above 7kHz for a less fatiguing listening experience.

DSC07998 copy.jpg

QUALITY IN EVERY ASPECT

Our premium hand-braided copper cable now serves as the stock cable for LIRIC. We’ve focused our efforts towards enhancing the listening experience, offering a 4.4 mm termination premium cable suitable for most portable headphone amplifiers, as well as a 3 m soft TPE cable with a 3.5 mm jack, ideal for home headphone setups.

SPECIFICATIONS:

MZ4 DRIVER

Driver Type: Rinaro Isodynamic Hybrid Array® MZ4
Geometrical Shape: Ovoid
Operating Principle: Closed
Size: 92 mm x 63 mm
Ear Coupling: Circumaural
Driver Weight: 71 g
Frequency Response: 4 - 92.000 Hz
Casing: Fibreglass-reinforced polymer
Impedance: 61 Ω
Diaphragm Type: Rinaro Isoplanar®[MZ4]
Sensitivity: 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)
Active Area: 3.507 mm2
Maximum SPL: > 130 dB
Diaphragm Weight: 0.08 g
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0,15%
Acoustic Mass: 6.5 kg/m4
Weight: 427 g
Lower Frequency Limit: 4 Hz
Upper Frequency Limit: 92,000 Hz

Discover more here!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 24
As promised from my review video, here are some additional thoughts on Liric 2’s signal chain pairings.

A few notes to set this up…

Clearly it’s unusual for me to make a supplemental post like this in addition to a 45 minute review video on YouTube. I was quite positive about the Liric 2 in the YouTube review based on what it’s capable of, but it needs to be understood that not everyone will obtain the same results because of how reactive it is to signal chains. So, this post exists for that reason and because Liric 2 is so new there is going to be almost no information about signal chain synergies for it out there yet. Also this approach means the review video didn’t turn into an hour and 45 minutes haha…that would be pushing it even on the scale of my typical verbose bloviations.

The descriptions below are the combinations I was able to hear because I have these amps and DACs on hand during the review. I will NOT be able to answer any questions of nature “Will Liric 2 sound good with ____?” It’s too variable and too difficult to predict. In my notes below you’ll see that I was surprised by some of the pairings, both pleasantly and unpleasantly. It would be irresponsible of me to take guesses on pairings I haven’t heard.

On with the show!

Mobile/Transportable Devices

The Cayin N6ii w/ E02 module and Chord Mojo 2 both have plenty of power to drive Liric 2 and also synergize with it well. I enjoyed the level of detail presentation and overall tonality from both devices. The Mojo 2 adds some dynamic impact that the N6ii doesn’t quite have. But I consider both of these good matches.

The Chord Hugo 2 has plenty of power but I personally didn’t like the synergy. I think it pushed the mid-range forward a bit too much and threw off the otherwise strong tonal balance in the mids of the Liric 2. This happened whether the the Hugo 2 was powering the Liric 2 directly or if it was used as a dac with one of the amps I name below in between. For whatever reason, this just didn’t work for. Odd given that the Mojo 2 - made by same designer - was pretty good. However, for fans of mid-range forward presentations this may still work well.

DACs

It’s a little more difficult to separate these out from the amps. The only DAC I had to check that consistently didn’t work well with Liric 2 is the Hugo 2. The Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Musician Pegasus II, Ferrum WANDLA (w/ Hypsos), and Berkeley Alpha Series 2 all had examples of sounding good and also sounding less good, based on whatever amp was being used. I used the Geshelli J2S 4493 w/ Sparkos 2502 op-amps very briefly with the Vio HPA-V281. But let’s talk about…

Amps (in order of increasing price)

Nitsch Pietus Maximus - A warmer and smoother presentation, as is this amp’s nature. The detail level of the Liric 2 were more on the relaxed side, but the dynamic impact, particularly in the low subbass came forward a bit more than average (ie average for Liric 2 on the gear that I have to test with). Pietus Maximus will definitely help if you like a more detail relaxed sound and overall velvety presentation but still like some bass impact.

Lake People G111mk2 - This amp, as it does generally, made Liric 2 a bit more active and lively sounding but didn’t hit quite as hard as Pietus Maximus in the subbass. The Lake People also smoothed out the treble tonality more than the Pietus Maximus did, and pushed the detail presentation forward just a hair. This latter point aided in a slightly improved sense of holography due to the slightly more forward details - at least as compared to Pietus Maximus.

In general I think the G111mk2 vs Pietus Maximus for Liric 2 is basically a tossup. If you like smoother and more relaxed, PM. If you want just a bit more detail presence, G111mk2.

Erzetich Perfidus - I normally really like this little amp. It drives Focal Utopia (OG) and Fostex TH900 series beautifully, so I had high hopes. But those hopes were dashed. Liric 2 didn’t respond well sounding VERY mid-forward, shouty/honky/hollow on this amp. It was also too smooth and too detail relaxed for me.

ZMF Homage - My early sense on this amp is that it’s a grown-up version of the JDS Labs Atom and Element amps (it’s a collab with JDS Labs), meaning very clean, clear, quiet, yet still reasonably smooth. Liric 2 responded quite well to this presentation. The detail presentation was among the better I heard in the group of amps I had to listen to. It wasn’t overly dynamic or punchy; not poor but not as forward as some others. The spatial holography was also very good here and the treble tonality was nice and smooth. Good match.

Schiit Mjolnir 3 - The slight upper-mid/lower treble forwardness of Mjolnir 3 helped bring the detail presentation a little more forward on Liric 2. The dynamics here are also strong as they generally are with any headphone on the Mjolnir 3. This was the first amp I listened to the Liric 2 on when it arrived and I had a lot of fun with it and Liric 2 together that first night (with the Berkeley Alpha S2 as the dac). After listening to the other amps here, I realized that this match is decent, but there is better for the price. The Homage matched a little better, but better yet was the…

Violectric HPA-V222 - The synergy here might have been the best of the lot save the LTA MZ3 (about which more later). I predicted that the warmer and smoother nature of the Vio V200 series sound would not be a great match and was very pleasantly surprised. The detail presentation here was arguably the best of this whole amp set, striking a great balance of presence without losing the Liric 2’s non-fatiguing nature. The spatial holography was also on point. And the dynamics were also fun and engaging without being overdone. I don’t know what about this pairing made this happen. But my goodness I’m glad it did. Based on the combination of synergy and price, I strongly recommend this amp for Liric 2.

Headamp GS-X Mini - the Mini is an unpredictable beast. It will sound great when you think it shouldn’t and horrible when you think it should. I thought that Liric 2 would match well to it and no, definitely not. The mid-range came way forward and uncomfortably entered shouty/honky/hollow territory, much like Liric 2 had done on Perfidus. The detail retrieval also stepped back even more than usual and the spatial holography mostly collapsed. I DO NOT recommend this pairing, needless to say. And oof there was some bad sibilance on this one too.

Goldenwave Prelude - This was another surprising result. This was not as bad a pairing with Liric 2 as Perfidus or GS-X Mini, but it wasn’t great. The detail presentation and dynamics both took steps back and the spatial holography was also mushy and too undefined for my liking. Liric 2 is the first headphone I’ve heard that didn’t sound at least good on this amp. Sometimes these things happen.

Violectric HPA-V281 - After I finished the review video I went back and tried this one and it was GREAT. Take what I said about the V222 pairing above and add a bit more technical proficiency and dynamic impact. I even tried the Hugo 2 as a DAC here and the 281 helped correct some of the Hugo 2’s midforwardness with Liric 2; not a complete cure, but it helped. Arguably the V281 is the best pairing of the lot.

Ferrum Oor (w/ Hypsos) - This was another strong pairing with an overall result very similar to what the Homage was doing with maybe just a hair more detail. The dynamics weren’t overly impressive but the spatial holography, timbre, and overall tonality were all excellent. However, I wouldn’t recommend buying this amp with Hypsos just for Liric 2 as the combo is over $3000 and the Liric 2 is $2000. But if you already have the Oor to drive your demanding open-back cans and you’re looking to add a closed back to your collection, then yeah, you’re in good shape with Oor + Liric 2.

LTA MZ3 - This was the only amp to better the V222 with detail retrieval, spatial holography, tonality, and timbre. However, it was not quite up to the V222’s level with dynamics. But, here again we’re talking about a $3700 amp with a $2000 headphone. That pairing doesn’t make a lot of sense if that’s going to be your go-to chain.

Final Thoughts

To sum this up I think the ZMF Homage and for sure the Violectric HPA-V222 strike the best balance of being price appropriate for the Liric 2 and also synergizing well with it. I think the V222 is the stronger of the two but the Homage is not far behind. I really like the combos of Schiit Bifrost 2/64 -> V222 -> Liric 2 and Musician Pegasus II -> ZMF Homage -> Liric 2. The HPA-V281 is also amazing. If you find one used it could be a could match price-wise. Up to you whether you want to try to get your hands on one of the limited edition rerelease units at $2800.

Once again a special thanks to Meze Audio for asking me to do a pre-release review. Given how critical I’ve been of their work in the past I was really surprised at their request and it took guts on their part. Respect!

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. Cheers all, and the obligatory: Enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 24
I loved the Liric OG when I tried it but it was too expensive for me as is this. A clear (several coating) lacquer finish of the cups, ala fine furniture, would really set it apart imho.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 24
I released my review on the Meze LIRIC second generation this morning. I also took measurements on my rig if it helps! I use a GRAS KB006x (left and right) pinna clone + IEC711 Coupler fed into an XLR interface with a good preamp. These measurements can be used to compare against others on my Squiglinks site, but don't use them to compare against measurements from other people's rigs, as the uniqueness of pinna and other variables (acoustic Z for example) will not directly translate to my site.

I think Meze is known to make well-built headphones at this point, and nothing changes here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I won't comment much on looks. I do personally enjoy the classy look of woods when used tastefully, and the dark tone found here on the Macassar ebony looks nice.

GadgetryTech Meze Liric 2nd Gen -sm.jpg

I really enjoy the new Liric 2nd gen sound profile. The bass brought back some of the Meze Audio house sound (some warmth!), but it doesn't loose the sub bass emphasis and extension found in the original Liric. The mid range is incredible, one of the best for a passive closed back especially when you consider the driver tech being used. High treble is still emphasized, but has been tamed a bit in comparison to the original Liric. The filled in upper mids with the additional warmth helps to also shift the sound profile from being thinner/bright like the original Liric to a more excited v shape.

There is still a slight metallic tinge to high frequencies, with cymbals/hats really coming through. The ringing effect is there to an extent, but not bad. It's also extremely easy to tame with very mild EQ. Without EQ, this sound profile is more enjoyable for various genres and styles of music.

Passive noise isolation is still excellent, so it does a good job of attenuating environmental noise, while also reducing audio leakage to help minimize what others hear you listening too. I found the comfort to be excellent, and the moderate clamp force helps maintain a great seal. It's not overly strong, but it does stay secure on your head with normal movement. Pad compliance is excellent, and it maintains a seal with both glasses and baseball-style hats. Jog with this at your own risk.

Anyway, here are some measurements, and a link to the full video review! Happy to answer any questions as well.

Excellent driver matching...
1709830222892.png

Compared to the original Liric:
1709830306511.png

Compared to the Audeze LCD-XC. I still like the XC. The bass is more constrained on the XC, and the vocals have more of a nasal presence, but the upper treble is excellent. With EQ, the LCD-XC can easy match the bass emphasis the Liric offers, and of course, you can still reduce the 2-3k region if need be.
1709830400537.png

Here's a link to my measurement page. I don't have everything, but I'm a smaller channel and purchase a lot of what I review. Meze was kind enough to send this for review. https://gadgetrytech.squig.link/headsets/?share=Harman_Target,Meze_Liric_2

Last but not least, my full video review!

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 24
Something as basic as removable pads has made the Liric 2 a contender for me. Looking forward to hearing/reading more about this set as I mull over whether I'll be willing to buy-to-try.
It's so simple to remove and swap too. The magnet system is amazing, and it still has an excellent seal.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 24
The glued-on ear pads of the original Liric was a total dealbreaker for me, so I'm super happy to see that the Liric 2 now has easily removable magnetically-attached ear pads, just like the Empyrean headphones. :thumbsup:

Now the Liric 2 is back on my radar! :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 24
The headband design still is one of the best, and with the additional magnetic pads, it got even better.
Sound-wise I find them to be an improvement over the original LIRIC, but it still isn't a headphone that can easily please the majority of all listeners (imo)

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 24
The headband design still is one of the best, and with the additional magnetic pads, it got even better.
Sound-wise I find them to be an improvement over the original LIRIC, but it still isn't a headphone that can easily please the majority of all listeners (imo)

First, I want to thank you for your webpage and reviews. A lot of my equipment was purchased based on your opinions, and I have no regrets :)

And second, do you think the Liric 2 is an upgrade over the 109 Pro? I understand they belong to different leagues (closed-back vs. open-back, different price points), but I’ve listen a lot the Liric 1, and to me It seems that the Liric 1 might be in a similar league as the 109 Pro— perhaps with a bit more detail but slightly less naturalness. What are your thoughts on the Liric 2 in comparison with the 109´s?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 24
I actually haven't had the 109 with me for quite a while, and I don't always trust my memory. That said, I don't think these are comparable as they're so different. From a technical point of view, I have no doubt the Liric drivers are the better ones.

Thank you for the kind words!

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 24
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare Liric 2 to Empyrean 2 or Empyrean OG? I know that they are of a completely different breed (closed, open), but what I'm interested mostly is in tonality differences (Meze house sound or warmth).
It is said that Liric 2 brings back some midrange and midbase warmth when compared to OG Liric. I'm curious to know what does that mean in reality? Is Liric 2 more like OG Empyrean or more like Empyrean 2??

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 24
Since the ear pads are removable, do they still have the special air chamber design (to increase the acoustic space of the closed headphone) inside of them like the Liric OG? I assumed the glued ear pads of the OG were for the air chamber implementation.

Edit: From the ear pad product page (for the Liric OG, I believe)
Ear pad Air Flow (EAF) system, which reduces the weight and size of the LIRIC; headphone by optimizing its acoustic volume;

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 24
These are definitely on my radar. So tempted to pre-order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back