Meze EMPYREAN II
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #436 of 603
20231217_134653.jpg
Listening my new Empyrean 2 with a Japanese jazz band, 3 Blind Mice, SACD is F amazing....
Another WOW factor similar to OG Utopia back in late 2016.....
Love the PrimaLuna!!

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #437 of 603
Since I am now a proud owner of the Empyrean II, I wanted to share my initial experience with them.

As a fan of the OG Empy sound signature, these are definitely a big departure from the OG sound.
Definitely much clearer and brighter, OG Empyrean was a bit too dark compared to its siblings in the price range. On the other hand it is perhaps the most fun headphone I've heard at that price and that remains so even with the Empyrean II in my possession.

The Empyrean II are no question the more technically competent headphone and it's not just due to the new Duo pads. In fact while the Duo pads offer amazing clarity, bass is so lean that it doesn't offer any satisfaction whatsoever, especially with any heavier rock and metal tracks.

However it is possible to fix this while retaining much of the Empyrean II's clarity improvements over the OG and that is, (somewhat surprisingly), by using the OG Empy's full leather pads. These add the much needed slam and body to the II's bass while remaining much clearer than the OG. So far they're my favorite pads. (On the OG, I prefer the AA pads).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #438 of 603
I'm looking for some recommendations for those who may be familiar with both the Empy II and any of the following cans: LCD 5, Susvara, 1266. I'm fairly set at this point on keeping my Empy II over my Diana MR largely due to comfort, soundstage, and bass impact. I loved some of the clarity and intimacy I got from the MR, especially in some Steely Dan guitar runs, but in the end I personally prefer the Empys.

With that said, I'm looking to go a bit higher in tier level with the three cans mentioned. I love soundstage (I feel this is such a hallmark of open-backed phones, which I'm admittedly very new to), bass depth + impact, and clarity is also very important to me. From what I understand, the Susvara is potentially the least bass-y of the three, although I'm curious if that can be remedied with some EQing? Anywho, any advice or comparisons would be much appreciated! I'm currently open to any amp setups depending on what is needed for what I have, although I'm currently eyeing the Wandla stack 🤤. I listen to practically every genre, but lean towards hip hop, modern jazz, classic rock, and anything acoustic that is well recorded.

Thanks in advance, you all have been wonderful to learn from!

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #439 of 603
The 1266 is incredible for rock and rap, ill tell ya that much. But pretty uncomfortable and a bit fatiguing. For short sesh it is pretty hard to beat.

The Susvara is close to perfection. It's not lacking in bass at all to me, but, it also can take a ridiculous amount of EQ. Both are TOTL

The LCD-5 ... i preferred the lcd-4 and i prefer hifiman to the 5.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #440 of 603
I'm looking for some recommendations for those who may be familiar with both the Empy II and any of the following cans: LCD 5, Susvara, 1266. I'm fairly set at this point on keeping my Empy II over my Diana MR largely due to comfort, soundstage, and bass impact. I loved some of the clarity and intimacy I got from the MR, especially in some Steely Dan guitar runs, but in the end I personally prefer the Empys.

With that said, I'm looking to go a bit higher in tier level with the three cans mentioned. I love soundstage (I feel this is such a hallmark of open-backed phones, which I'm admittedly very new to), bass depth + impact, and clarity is also very important to me. From what I understand, the Susvara is potentially the least bass-y of the three, although I'm curious if that can be remedied with some EQing? Anywho, any advice or comparisons would be much appreciated! I'm currently open to any amp setups depending on what is needed for what I have, although I'm currently eyeing the Wandla stack 🤤. I listen to practically every genre, but lean towards hip hop, modern jazz, classic rock, and anything acoustic that is well recorded.

All three headphones you mention take EQ well.
LCD5 - soundstage is the smallest, smaller than Empy. Without EQ it is rather mid-focused. Neutral, not the most exciting to me personally.
1266 - amazing bass, huge and deep soundstage. Cumbersome and uncomfortable design. Mids are not the greatest lacking a bit of life compared to some other TOTLs.
Susvara - can sound faultless and pretty fantastic out of the right gear, but very picky. Tend to sound the best out of powerful and very expensive amps.

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #442 of 603
IMO it's not a "sequel" to a first Empy, but more like new independent model with own unique tuning
I agree on that

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #443 of 603

As an LCD-5 owner I'm also interested in how the Empy 2 compares. I think I'm one of the few that actually enjoys the LCD-5! (subject to Mitch's convolver).

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #444 of 603

Take the Elite (known comfort, wide stage, airy presentation, deep bass, clarity) or a T+A SolitaireP (more reference tuned, but can produce deeeep bass, can be expensive in the US) or take Susvara, but be prepared for another 10k for proper amping.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #445 of 603
As an LCD-5 owner I'm also interested in how the Empy 2 compares. I think I'm one of the few that actually enjoys the LCD-5! (subject to Mitch's convolver).
I like it myself, it's just kind of disappointing to those who rocked LCD-4 imo (still pissed i sold mine. that was my first 'TOTL' set of cans). It's pretty good at everything and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #446 of 603
Take the Elite (known comfort, wide stage, airy presentation, deep bass, clarity) or a T+A SolitaireP (more reference tuned, but can produce deeeep bass, can be expensive in the US) or take Susvara, but be prepared for another 10k for proper amping.
Yeah the Elite and Soli P definitely are worthy of consideration in this conversation. I'd add one more (besides Tungsten; that's unobtanium), the Final Audio D8000 Pro. To my ears that was the best ive ever heard music. It was out of a Macintosh with two blue VU screens. I want to say it was a number similar to the 8000, but i dont remember. It was simply sublime.

I kinda disagree that you'd have to spend 10k for the Sus, though. It is pretty great out of a few cheaper solutions like Schiit Ragnarok. I bet it does scale up with better gear though.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #447 of 603
Yeah the Elite and Soli P definitely are worthy of consideration in this conversation. I'd add one more (besides Tungsten; that's unobtanium), the Final Audio D8000 Pro. To my ears that was the best ive ever heard music. It was out of a Macintosh with two blue VU screens. I want to say it was a number similar to the 8000, but i dont remember. It was simply sublime.

I kinda disagree that you'd have to spend 10k for the Sus, though. It is pretty great out of a few cheaper solutions like Schiit Ragnarok. I bet it does scale up with better gear though.

The difficulty with the Susvara is that they can be very underwhelming on many chains. It’s not that there aren’t affordable options to drive them, it’s just that it is picky. It can sound anemic across the frequencies, whether that’s with sibilant treble or with lackluster bass response. Other headphones require a lot less and work with a wider range of products to sound optimal. You don’t have to spend a 10K to get it sounding impressive, but you’re exactly right, it‘s one of those headphones that scales, nearly infinitely, with better gear.

Not saying that you didn’t know all this yourself, but just putting this out there for bsiegler.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #448 of 603
For clarity, I currently am running a WA7 and Topping A/D70 stack. I'm also receiving the Xd05 today. My thought process is that, if I were to give the Sus (or any other hard-to-drive/picky can) a try, I'd probably talk myself into upgrading to the full Ferrum Wandla stack, which I would hope drives the Sus or an equivalent.

The 1266s are SO tempting because I'm into weird products (I have a Cybetruck coming), but the idea that they are more of a party trick and a 20-minute listen sort of animal gives me a lot of caution.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #449 of 603
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #450 of 603
Except the unbearable clamping force and upper midrange - for me. Of course YMMV.
Did you have the first headband before they changed it? I tried both and the first one hurt my head, the second is very comfy.

And yeah I really didn't like the stock tuning especially with the razor blade upper-mids. I found it unbearable. Funny enough Audeze were planning a second preset that was less for studio, and more for enjoyable listening. It never got finished in the end, but would've been cool to hear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back