Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 26, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #766 of 13,029
I heard so many mixed opinions of the empyrean that I’m really looking forward to the final word on those actually order them!

They certainly look great and I like the all metal design.

Will any reviewers be getting them soon?

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #768 of 13,029
I heard so many mixed opinions of the empyrean that I’m really looking forward to the final word on those actually order them!

They certainly look great and I like the all metal design.

Will any reviewers be getting them soon?

I’m allocating funds right now so that I can order soon. I’ve been waiting a year for these to be released.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #771 of 13,029
*waits for Meze to be done with the TOTL stuff and get back to budget gear for the majority of us*.

Love seeing what they can do even if I can't afford it though lol.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #772 of 13,029
I’ve yet to hear any headphones by Abyss. Honestly, I’m turned off by their apparent lack of comfort for all their models and I think they’re overpriced for the technology that’s inside of them.

I've heard the Abyss Phi and D8000.

The Phi sounds great, but is not a contender for me because it's too ugly, too heavy and too fiddly to adjust to get best sound and acceptable comfort. It's also fairly inefficient, so fussier about choice of amp..

On the first occasion, the D8000 sounded great, rivalling the Phi, but with a FR tilted in favour of the bass, which some people will love and some not. On the 2nd occasion at a noisy meet they didn't sound at all good, but that could have been due to other variables. They are also farly heavy, have rather average comfort, and don't look anywhere near as good as the Empyreans. I'd still give them another try though because of that first listening session.

I've also tried Diana, but found the thin pads to be very uncomfortable. The new Diana Phi has much fatter pads, which may have solved that problem, but I haven't tried that.

I just need to hear a production version of the Empyreans in quiet surroundings before making a final decision.

To the persion that recently asked about colour, Meze have previously stated that they will build in batches, with the first batch being black, which looks very smart in real life. They haven't stated what the second batch will be, but I'd love to see the copper version in real life.

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #773 of 13,029
Exactly right. Couldn't agree more. This design seems (at least to me) to derive from turn of the century European styles--specifically, Art Nouveau with a bit of Beaux Arts. It's an orderly yet organic look--extremely attractive. The screen design is a knock-out. Scale up that screen and you'd have a classic architectural/space dividing screen.

I heard these ~8 months ago when the screens were either silver or magenta; and the frame was (if memory serves) either silver or dark grey. Clearly they've evolved.

I found the sonics to be overwhelmingly positive--had literally no criticism to make. It was the most seductive, draw-you-in sound I've yet heard from headphones. There have been comments here that these headphones are currently voiced somewhat differently than before (have no idea if that's true). Your picture seems to show alcantra/suede pads, which would affect the sound (I heard only those very plush/handsome leather pads).

When I had these in my hands or on my head, I had that sinking feeling that these are the best I've ever heard--and the most expensive.

@Pharmaboy really nice catch on the inspirations tracking. I wasn't sure anyone would connect the dots. Indeed both me and my colleague, Paul Stet with whom I designed this headphones together, went trough the same art school and then art college and there is a lot of emphasis on art history (including history of architectural styles) in this line of education. Always loved Art Nouveau and Paul was probably even more obsessed with it's characteristic curves than me.

Do you want to guess what is the other style that inspired the structure and architecture of the frame?

Will these have a USA distributor?

Yes. We will have them in shops. For now you can order directly from our website.

Looked and there is a distributor in San Francisco but go to their site and they don't list Meze. Interesting. Hopefully they will get them in and I can demo them. Too bad they don't work with Audio High in Mountain View, CA. Close by to my work and I know that place gets a ton of praise.

Ask your local dealer to bring it. They might just do it.

The price was in Euro, not dollar.

In the menu of our website you can now choose "International store" which is in USD or "Europe store" which is in EUR.

batch being black, which looks very smart in real life. They haven't stated what the second batch will be, but I'd love to see the copper version in real life.

First 2 batches will be in gun metal frame with CNC texture + black sating finished grill.
In the future we will at some point also make the other color combinations.
For now we just have to work hard to meet current demand.

assembl.JPG

Last edited:
Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Oct 26, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #774 of 13,029
@Pharmaboy really nice catch on the inspirations tracking. I wasn't sure anyone would connect the dots. Indeed both me and my colleague, Paul Stet with whom I designed this headphones together, went trough the same art school and then art college and there is a lot of emphasis on art history (including history of architectural styles) in this line of education. Always loved Art Nouveau and Paul was probably even more obsessed with it's characteristic curves than me.

Do you want to guess what is the other style that inspired the structure and architecture of the frame?

Bit of Bauhaus?

Personally the grills immediately reminded me of Erwin Hauer's incredible cnc milled architectural screens.

UpEIkcrl.jpg

9jiTDjd

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #775 of 13,029
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #777 of 13,029
Also, what type of connectors are connected to the ear cups? 2.5 mm or 3.5 mm male plugs?? Want to use my other after market cables from other cans.

Looks like 4-pin mini XLR to me. Likely Audeze connector:

Meze-Empyrean-e1527951440826.jpg

emp-24.jpg

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #778 of 13,029

Hmmm...many candidates based on the serial/repetitive/organic nature of the screen pattern, if not its absence of rectalingularity (a couple of these are mentioned above):

#1 guess: German Secession
#2 guess: Islamic Art

Others, in order of decreasing probability:
  • Japanese lithography (a strong influence for Art Nouveau & Frank Lloyd Wright)
  • Precursors of Art Nouveau (ie, Beardsley, Morrison, English Arts & Crafts)
  • Bauhaus
  • Frank Lloyd Wright/Louis Sullivan/Rennie MacIntosh

PS: the fact that you & Paul Stet went to art school & bring an artistic/design perspective to this headphone, was obvious the 1st time I saw the Empyrean--not just in its screen (lovely), but in the visible balance/consonance between all its design elements. This headphone truly is an 'objet d'art"

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #779 of 13,029

It slipped my mind, but Art Deco patterns sometimes come pretty close to the Empyrean (they're also inspired by Art Nouveau).

Deco.jpg

Forgot to mention a favorite things about the Empyrean: I love how the 3-pronged metal framework over each screen is a reverse of the tiny, repeated holes in the screen. Photographic analogy: the metal framework is the positive (large) & each hole in the screen is the negative (tiny).

The entire headphone seems to organically emerge from the design of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back