Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #12,826 of 12,974
In a world of ultimate detail and Harmon curves, the Empyrean said F that, let's make a headphone that's fun.

They achieved that. There was no need to change it as it filled a niche.

Not only did they manage that but that thing scales pretty well as well.

Of course it can't match the details of Susvara or even Elite but it always made me **** and just listen.

I'll always respect what meze did there.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #12,827 of 12,974
In a world of ultimate detail and Harmon curves, the Empyrean said F that, let's make a headphone that's fun.

Of course it can't match the details of Susvara or even Elite but it always made me **** and just listen.

For fear of repeating myself, these headphones are actually capable of scaling extremely well IMHO, if one is prepared to invest time, money and effort in the rest of the system (if DIY inclined), as I detailed some time back. The money saved from forgetting the likes of the crazy money for Susvara etc. should cover much of the cost if buying commercially. In short, improvements in detail resolution; bass quantity/quality/control; treble handling; overall balance, placement and cohesion, along with expanded (but not too much) soundstage can be such as to need no further 'improvement' IMO...with the added bonus of that degree of 'fun' factor that is absent from other TOTL cans, even the Elite. But as usual, YMMV...

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #12,828 of 12,974

The "ultimate sin" that so many reviewers of the Meze Empy 1 accused the gear of committing is this one....

"The Meze Empy 1, seems to make all your music sound good, no matter what it is".

So, the gear was lambasted for that = " (face palm) performance", ....as they didn't want that, they wanted "more details, more details, more details"...

"Give us more details".... !!!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #12,829 of 12,974
The "ultimate sin" that so many reviewers of the Meze Empy 1 accused the gear of committing is this one....

"The Meze Empy 1, seems to make all your music sound good, no matter what it is".

So, the gear was lambasted for that = " (face palm) performance", ....as they didn't want that, they wanted "more details, more details, more details"...

"Give us more details".... !!!!!!

Right on FB1. And further to your appropriate assessment of (biased) attitudes to OG Empys, I would propose that one of the greatest influential factors - apart from nefarious commercial chicanery that is! - must be the (frightening) power of autosuggestion...much more so than most folks unfortunately recognise/realise as affecting their (subjective) decision making way beyond what they might think of as being objective. I base this on 30 years as a professional hypnotherapist, using such power of suggestion to actually help people's problems. Our subconscious minds are prey to all manner of influence beyond our conscious awareness...but this is a rather extensive and complex subject, not to mention peer compliance/pressure! However, your own recent comprehensive summation basically said it all lol! :relaxed:

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #12,830 of 12,974
Right on FB1. And further to your appropriate assessment of (biased) attitudes to OG Empys, I would propose that one of the greatest influential factors - apart from nefarious commercial chicanery that is! - must be the (frightening) power of autosuggestion.

Yes....People are sheep. :)

Nearly all are "easily led".
"Herd Mentality".

Notice when you are driving....... and you come to a busy RED Light.
Only 2 Lanes available.
Notice that there are 15 cars in one lane, and 2 cars in the other lane, all sitting, waiting for the same Green Light.

So.......Why are there 15 cars, in a long line, and only 2, in the other lane?

"follow the Leader".., and that translates into.. "media control"....

And in the world of Headphone buyers, this means...the Advertisement gets you to buy it.... So, that is why the marketing of Audiophile headphones, is so specifically related to HOW they try to sell them.

A.) "more Details"... "this is the most detailed of ALL their Headphones"... "Detail and Resolution is TOTL "

"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"

"Im hearing details in my music that ive never heard before"..

"this newly designed Driver, has the most detailed performance, so far"...

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #12,831 of 12,974

"Herd Mentality".

Only 2 Lanes available.
Notice that there are 15 cars in one lane, and 2 cars in the other lane, all sitting, waiting for the same Green Light.

And in the world of Headphone buyers, this means...the Advertisement gets you to buy it.... So, that is why the marketing of Audiophile headphones, is so specifically related to HOW they try to sell them.

A.) "more Details"... "this is the most detailed of ALL their Headphones"... "Detail and Resolution is TOTL "

"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"

Where do you live? I know countries where there will be Always two Identically long lines. And other countries where there will be at least three 😄.

B) Do not forget to mention the "Technicalities"

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #12,833 of 12,974

"Herd Mentality".

Only 2 Lanes available.

"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"
"The most Detailed yet"

You've made your point and i 99% agree. But allow me to disagree in a good spirit. The individual sweet spot between musicality and technicality will vary for each one of us. Twice i've demoed the Empy OG but could not like it. Clarity and details were kind of missing to my ears. This has nothing to do with marketing or ... just individual taste. I've found my sweet spot somewhere else but i'm happy that some have found it in the Empy.
Have a good day☀️

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #12,834 of 12,974
I have to agree with FullBright on this one - the Empy 1 is the way to go. I got my hands on the Empyrean 2 (another, new set I had ordered) and it just didn't compare to the Empyrean 1 with AA pads for me.

Spot on J81...Empy 1 + AA pads = can give all one's heart desires. But preferably in a well resolving, not overly warm system (including cables) lol! :gs1000smile:

And one does have to allow for personal preference of course! :wink:

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #12,836 of 12,974
The Ultimate Headphone Showdown: Meze Empyrean II vs Elite vs Empyrean

Although normally very unimpressed with such showdowns, suffering almost as many deficiencies as sampling at audio fairs, I must admit he gives a reasonably balanced view of each's general characteristics...in his system/environment. And along with obviously not having been able to live with them for anywhere near long enough and experiment with different gear combinations - including cables, his own experience (as with anyone else's) can and should only be taken as a guide. And hats off to him for advising the need to compare them in one's own system to make proper judgment according to one's own preferences, something rarely emphasised by others.

As an example of just how things can be so different depending on a whole lot of factors : although I've previously touched upon (in quite some detail in fact!) what can alter OG's delivery quite significantly, today I had my second biggest (and unexpected) surprise yet, the first coming from changing to my Denon DCD A110 (SA)CD player as source. But now, still with this amazing machine, going from hi-res music files burned on Verbatim and Philips DVD-R data discs to original Taiyo Yuden (White label) ones instead completely contradicted this - and other reviewers' comments re OG Empy's 'weaknesses'...mainly re detail resolution and presentation within a holographic stage - but without diffusion/loss of focus and imaging - and increased dynamic weight when called for. Treble is scintillating, but not harsh/sibilant, the whole experience being more 'open' and super crystal clear and 'clean'. Luckily, vocal 'intimacy' remains delightful, without being too forward, and bass tighter and more detailed, but with no loss of its wonderful (sub) depth. Plus, no excessive bleed into higher frequencies. In fact, I'm reminded of my friend's Elites, fed by a £5500+ T&A HA 200 DAC/amp...my own TT2/mscaler/Ferrum OOR/Hypsos PSU setup easily matching it in these respects, but with the extra 'fun' factor of the OGs added in.

And all this 'just' from burning to a different (albeit the best on the planet!) DVD disc and played back via said Denon flagship (SA)CD/DVD-R player.

In short, and once again, any gear impressions (including mine!) must be viewed as a guide only...and then there's the minefield of expectation bias; 'herd mentality'/influence etc. as recently discussed. Not to mention that wonderful world of extended psychoacoustics!!

Edit : ps. The change is such that I'm having to readjust to a sound that isn't in fact now quite as 'cosy' ...again mirroring the Elites to a degree IMHO...however, I can compensate somewhat by simply altering the voltage fed to the OOR amp by Hypsos, which can change its 'flavour' in the way different tubes can often do...but much more easily! :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #12,837 of 12,974
Just to round off my previous post re. system factors that can influence quite significantly OG Empy's performance, its chameleon-like nature has once again been confirmed, in my own particular case at least, by my Ferrum OOR's trick of altering sound delivery simply by changing the voltage feed from the Hypsos PSU - its 'tuned' nominal being 24V. Increasing this by anything up to 30V basically heightens bass presence and dynamic punch, while slightly reducing treble presence, detail clarity and associated stage 3 dimensionality. Going from 24V to 26V gave as much 'slam' and bass as I could/would ever want, which at first is quite impressive, but then enters territory that some actually criticise. For me, 25.2V gives a bit more welcome punch (but only welcome with good recordings lol!), without sacrificing the extra detail I mentioned from my Denon and DVD-R change, or the wonderful holographic stage. Also, lower/mid mids especially now imbue female voice with a bit more texture, body and...sensuality! Now I truly have what I regard as an (OG)Empy/Elite hybrid...albeit Empy with AA pads lol :)

As an extra bonus, this exercise has ratified my decision to retire from endless tube trials in the (impossible!) search for the one that could cover all bases satisfactorily...and without having to keep swapping tubes to suit as necessary. I prayed for the day a good SS amp might be able to be so tweaked, but without resorting to filters, and I'm glad (nay surprised) to say this trick of the OOR/Hypsos combo is worth its weight in gold...especially now, with the Empys.

And so once again, I repeat my assertion that OG Empyreans have great, unexpected, often unrealised potential beyond what is commonly thought .:gs1000smile:

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #12,838 of 12,974
Only 2 Lanes available.
Here in germany, If there are 2 lanes at a Red light and the amount of cars in one lane deviates strongly from the other it always means that one line is for turns only and they don't carry on in the same direction.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #12,839 of 12,974
Totally with @hypnos1 on the scalability of Empys. I've been in "ghost mode" for over a year, just full-time tweaking my system to the extreme (100+ components, each carefully chosen) and today I auditioned ZMF Atrium Closed, thinking I might at least get some proper bass if nothing else, as they're so overhyped these days for especially this.

Well, I'm sorry, but ZMF's sound is a joke compared to Empys in my system, even the bass is a disappointment. Total lack of dynamics, excitement, no variety of colors, missing space / atmosphere, just no juice there. Tested with both my Lavri Grand and Code 23 cables, still lacking in bass a LOT.

I always had my Empys in high regard, now they'll be praised upon, no better headphones ever made imo.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #12,840 of 12,974
I just traded a pair of Verite Opens for a pair of Empyreans 1. Got them yesterday but haven't been able to properly listen to them until now.

Anybody got any song recommendations that would really show off the Empyreans? Preferably not EDM or country as I don't really listen to those genres much. I will be using them on a Zahl HM1. Will try them also on my N30LE if I do have a 4.4mm cable that I can use with them.
IMG_8674.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back