Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #12,856 of 12,974
Yes indeed the OG Empy, Empy 2 and Elite all have the same Mini-XLR connections on the Headphone side.

Yes indeed the OG Empy, Empy 2 and Elite all have the same Mini-XLR connections on the Headphone side.
Thank you! My last question is the lavricable grand (or master) silver cable is better than meze own silver cable?

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #12,857 of 12,974
Since noone has answered you yet, I will try to.
Firstly, Meze doesn't make a silver cable, only silver plated copper (SPC) ones.

Although I cannot comment on this particular SPC cable, I have their SPC cable for 99 Classic and had their upgrade PCUHD copper cable, so will comment on those.
Look, their upgrade cables are undeniably much better alternative to their stock cables, that's my and many others experience. They're also much more ergonomic and overall very nice to touch & look. On top of that SPC cable adds that much needed sparkle for Meze's headphones, but hey, pure silver is pure silver...

If I were you (and I was at a time), I'd go for a top cable you can buy right away and skip the stepping stones - in the end you'll save money and potential future OCD from wanting the better :) I did and I'm super happy since :darthsmile:

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #12,858 of 12,974
Since noone has answered you yet, I will try to.
Firstly, Meze doesn't make a silver cable, only silver plated copper (SPC) ones.

Although I cannot comment on this particular SPC cable, I have their SPC cable for 99 Classic and had their upgrade PCUHD copper cable, so will comment on those.
Look, their upgrade cables are undeniably much better alternative to their stock cables, that's my and many others experience. They're also much more ergonomic and overall very nice to touch & look. On top of that SPC cable adds that much needed sparkle for Meze's headphones, but hey, pure silver is pure silver...

If I were you (and I was at a time), I'd go for a top cable you can buy right away and skip the stepping stones - in the end you'll save money and potential future OCD from wanting the better :) I did and I'm super happy since :darthsmile:
Thank you! Great help Wladimir! I looking for 4.4 mm jack for my dap.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #12,859 of 12,974
Hi @Wladimir and @Ravenor . Although I have talked about cable wire and construction at some length previously, may I just recap the main points I personally regard as perhaps of interest to those hunting for good cables - headphone and, importantly, interconnect (analog and digital).

After years of my own and other keen DIYers' trials in this area, concensus seems to be that :

1. By far the best wire to use is mono crystal OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast), over 'ordinary' 'pure' silver or OFC copper.
OCC silver being the best conductor is unsurpassed for overall performance, especially detail resolution and treble handling (less potentially harsh and sibilant than 'ordinary' silver). This enables a wonderfully open, 'clean' sound and more expansive stage.
OCC copper is much preferable to standard OFC copper, also being very good overall but with slightly less 'sparkle' and crystal clear clarity than silver. However, it can impart a tad more bass/mid weight and body.
I personally have found that using both covers all bases nicely, the copper helping to smooth performance especially in otherwise (over) bright systems, and adding to sub bass delivery.

2. Solid wire is preferred over stranded, but can make for much less flexible/more wieldy cables - especially headphone! Solid offers less electrical resistance, therefore allowing for better 'flow' and less chance of possible slight distortion effects. 'Super' (expensive!) cables will in fact use multi gauge wires...larger diameter for optimal lower frequency handling, smaller for higher. Fortunately in DIYing I've been able to apply this technique without bankrupting myself, and can attest to its efficacy lol :). But as headphone cable, I'm sure many wouldn't find its bulk acceptable...me?...performance is paramount!

3. Avoid silver-plated or hybrid alloy combinations...stick with separate silver and copper.

4. Re construction, and applicable to all cables IMHO (including coax digital!), I only ever keep pos/neg (signal/return) separate...until the last section to ear cups for headphones. Along with expandable, flexible EMI/RFI suppression capable sleeving, slightly less twisting/braiding is then needed to minimise such distortion.

Obviously, the ideal cable incorporating all the above is going to be extremely expensive commercially, but hopefully researching the manufacturers' specs may give a better idea of just what they're about, and their relative cost given how many of said qualities are covered.

Then, of course, personal trials (if able) according to one's purse is the only real way to see how they perform in one's own system, and to one's personal preferences.

So...GOOD LUCK to all who appreciate the gains from REALLY good cables, even if the wallet objects at first!! :wink:...and a HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all lucky OG Empy owners.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #12,860 of 12,974
Merry X’mas to all! Enjoying a X’mas Eve session with the Empy out of the SAEQ Hyperion Ge, paired with the Eletech Inferno. :)

IMG_1548.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #12,861 of 12,974
Hate to keep beating the drum guys but I must amend my recent post re improvements going fully balanced. Much to my surprise, the difference is FAR more than just a measly "not slight" now the new connectors, and circuitry, have burned in nicely. Never expected to hear so much more detail coming from the bass/lower mids especially, along with an even more deliciously sweet treble that still manages to also sparkle and excite. Add on the kind of reverb/echo/decay that very few of my tubes ever managed to match without becoming too artificial and once again, as with @Wladimir , the more tweaks you can manage to your system, the more your OG Empys will respond accordingly. Only perhaps you might not need quite W's 100+ ones lol!! :scream::wink::smile:

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #12,862 of 12,974
Okay after many days with Empyrean I am ready to share some of my thoughts. First thing first. I can't emphasize enough how damn comfy Empy is. I wore it for multiple hours last night no problem. Something my LCD-5 wishes it could do.

Sound wise it has a pretty nice fun but relaxed warm tonality. Despite me not asking for much EDM I did try the genre some on it. It is for sure a good HP for it. I have really enjoyed Synthwave on it. 80s synthwave is something I really like and Empy is a nice non fatiguing listen for. The minimal Hip Hop and R&B I have listened to so far has been same experience as above. I did enjoy many of the recommendations y'all gave me too.

It has a few downsides though. My main issue is it can sound too congested. I think at least partially because the bass bleeds into the mids muddying the lower mids. Which is another of its problems. It isn't a headphone to expect the most clarity or detail. But that isn't the point of the HP. It is meant to be a relaxed musical listen which it mostly accomplishes well outside bass bleed that causes as said before unneeded congestion and muddyness. That said I traded my Verite Open for it (I will give thoughts on comparitive on a later date.) in a straight trade valuing both at $1500. Detail is fine for $1500 HP. Just not $3000. I think Empy 1 should have been a $2k hp new. Though tbh most headphones above $2k are overpriced. Sus and 1266 TC should be $4000 max imo. DCA Expanse/Stealth, Utopia 2022, etc. $3k max.
Overall it is a fun really comfortable HP for daily driving due to its relaxed sound and is very much on the musical side. Especially if you prefer warm v shaped tunings.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #12,863 of 12,974
Okay after many days with Empyrean I am ready to share some of my thoughts. First thing first. I can't emphasize enough how damn comfy Empy is. I wore it for multiple hours last night no problem. Something my LCD-5 wishes it could do.

Sound wise it has a pretty nice fun but relaxed warm tonality. Despite me not asking for much EDM I did try the genre some on it. It is for sure a good HP for it. I have really enjoyed Synthwave on it. 80s synthwave is something I really like and Empy is a nice non fatiguing listen for. The minimal Hip Hop and R&B I have listened to so far has been same experience as above. I did enjoy many of the recommendations y'all gave me too.

It has a few downsides though. My main issue is it can sound too congested. I think at least partially because the bass bleeds into the mids muddying the lower mids. Which is another of its problems. It isn't a headphone to expect the most clarity or detail. But that isn't the point of the HP. It is meant to be a relaxed musical listen which it mostly accomplishes well outside bass bleed that causes as said before unneeded congestion and muddyness. That said I traded my Verite Open for it (I will give thoughts on comparitive on a later date.) in a straight trade valuing both at $1500. Detail is fine for $1500 HP. Just not $3000. I think Empy 1 should have been a $2k hp new. Though tbh most headphones above $2k are overpriced. Sus and 1266 TC should be $4000 max imo. DCA Expanse/Stealth, Utopia 2022, etc. $3k max.
Overall it is a fun really comfortable HP for daily driving due to its relaxed sound and is very much on the musical side. Especially if you prefer warm v shaped tunings.
If you haven’t already, you should look into getting some of the Angled Alcantara pads for your Empy. It’s my understanding that they might clean up some of that muddiness you’re describing.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #12,864 of 12,974
If you haven’t already, you should look into getting some of the Angled Alcantara pads for your Empy. It’s my understanding that they might clean up some of that muddiness you’re describing.
I will check if I have the pads already. I think it came with a second pair.

Good idea.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #12,865 of 12,974
I will check if I have the pads already. I think it came with a second pair.

Good idea.
I know the OG Empy did not come with the Angled version, so the original owner would have had to buy them separately.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #12,866 of 12,974
I am considering an all in one desktop DAC/AMP for the Meze Empyrean I. Do you have any recommendations?THX

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #12,867 of 12,974
I am considering an all in one desktop DAC/AMP for the Meze Empyrean I. Do you have any recommendations?THX
Does it really have to be all in one?
Any other restrictions, expectations?

From personal experience, in order of preference:
Molamola Tambaqui 😃
Chord Dave
Naim uniti atom he
Burson Conductor 3XR
Khadas Tone2 Pro

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #12,869 of 12,974
The element 3 mk2 is a really good choice for $450. Empyrean is really easy to drive. It honestly works pretty well on most amps. Which imo is a benefit of it. It isn't amp picky.

There are cheaper or more expensive options such as the CMA 15 (expensive like $2000ish new). But Empyrean won't benefit as much from it as many harder to drive headphones will.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #12,870 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back