Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #12,946 of 13,028
Some early production Empyreans had more crinkling sound in the drivers, but even back then Meze said it is normal. They offered to tighten the membrane up, which is apparently a lengthy process. Some folks returned their crinkly Empyreans, while others were not bothered as when the music was playing the crinkling was not present. The last 2-3 years I tried a few Empyreans and none of them had this issue anymore.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #12,947 of 13,028
No, that still doesn't seem right, my Empyrean has never made any kind of crinkling or cracking sound from the drivers, nor my LCD-2C for that matter.

What you describe sounds more like the driver "flex" that you sometimes hear with poorly-implemented dynamic drivers in some IEMs. But I don't think you should ever hear that in a headphone, especially a completely open-back planar one.
That's far from true. Many open back planers exhibit this especially when you cover them and push on the cups causing a pressure difference and the drivers to flex. If you do it too much it can cause damage to the drivers as the film is so thin.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #12,948 of 13,028
That's far from true. Many open back planers exhibit this especially when you cover them and push on the cups causing a pressure difference and the drivers to flex. If you do it too much it can cause damage to the drivers as the film is so thin.
Well, that's like saying "The earcups on my Empyrean creak and crack when I sit on them..." :)

I'm pretty sure under normal use you should never hear the drivers flex, and if you do it means there is a problem either with the design of the headphone, or the specific unit. In IEM-land, there are some makers/models that are notorious for audible dynamic driver flex, and I refuse to consider them, as there are many others that don't, proving that it's a problem that can be solved.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #12,949 of 13,028
Well, that's like saying "The earcups on my Empyrean creak and crack when I sit on them..." :)

I'm pretty sure under normal use you should never hear the drivers flex, and if you do it means there is a problem either with the design of the headphone, or the specific unit. In IEM-land, there are some makers/models that are notorious for audible dynamic driver flex, and I refuse to consider them, as there are many others that don't, proving that it's a problem that can be solved.
No not under normal use, but a lot of people dont know not to push them against your head like you can do with dynamic drivers or if they are open drivers not to seal them with your hands as this can cause pressure differences.
Just because its an open back does not mean it allows air to flow through the driver driver of a planar magnetic headphone. If there is a seal on the cups like the audeze leather pads had a habit of doing, then yes you can hear a crinkle of the drivers while putting them on. Other planars with leather earpads that are glued in place also have this issue.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #12,950 of 13,028
Just because its an open back does not mean it allows air to flow through the driver driver of a planar magnetic headphone. If there is a seal on the cups like the audeze leather pads had a habit of doing, then yes you can hear a crinkle of the drivers while putting them on. Other planars with leather earpads that are glued in place also have this issue.
Fair enough, but like I said with IEMs, if any headphone did this flex/crinkle under "normal" use, I would not buy that headphone. Why settle for bad design/implementation when good exists.

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #12,951 of 13,028
Fair enough, but like I said with IEMs, if any headphone did this flex/crinkle under "normal" use, I would not buy that headphone. Why settle for bad design/implementation when good exists.
You clearly don't understand how planar drivers are designed and engineered. It has nothing to do with poorly designed or bad implementation, it has to do with how the drivers operate and how thin and flexible the diaphram is. If you seal off and push on the empyrean, they will do the same thing. Only reason it is less affected is because of the magnetic changability of the earpads, and that's only a byproduct.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #12,952 of 13,028
If you seal off and push on the empyrean, they will do the same thing.
Why would I do such a dumb thing like that? :)

It doesn't take me understanding how the drivers work for me to know that hearing them flex can't be good for them. I'll very happily ignore any that audibly flex in normal use. Thankfully, Empyrean is not one of them. :thumbsup:

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #12,953 of 13,028
Why would I do such a dumb thing like that? :)

It doesn't take me understanding how the drivers work for me to know that hearing them flex can't be good for them. I'll very happily ignore any that audibly flex in normal use. Thankfully, Empyrean is not one of them. :thumbsup:
This whole conversation is going over your head .

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #12,954 of 13,028
This whole conversation is going over your head .
Nope. IEMs and Headphones that exhibit driver flex are dead to me. Very simple, actually.

Mar 1, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #12,955 of 13,028
Seems like some dealers are emptying their leftover Empyrean stock.

Headphone.shop has an interesting deal.
Original Empyrean, new, inkl upgrade cable of choice + Meze Elite Hybrid Pads. (So 3 pads total, leather, angled Alcantara, Hybrid) for 2500,-

One hell of a deal, worth sharing imo
https://headphone.shop/de/produkt/meze-empyrean/

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #12,956 of 13,028
Just join the Meze family. I bought a Meze elite Tungsten. Does it come with angled Alcantara as one of the original pads? Or I have to buy an extra one? I've heard many share their experience about how angled Alcantara can improve Elite. Is that ture?

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #12,957 of 13,028
Just join the Meze family. I bought a Meze elite Tungsten. Does it come with angled Alcantara as one of the original pads? Or I have to buy an extra one? I've heard many share their experience about how angled Alcantara can improve Elite. Is that ture?
The earlier versions will not. They will come with hybrid and thick Alcantara pads.

If you have a newer version you get the angled Alcantara instead of the thick ones.

I like both the Angled and Hybrid but many prefer the angled. Personal preference of course.

Pads are all interchangeable between Elite, Empyrean and Empyrean II.

You can buy any of the pads by themselves either via Meze direct or your local supplier.

Enjoy!

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #12,958 of 13,028
The Tungsten Elite should come with the angled pads and the hybrids by default. And yes, it really improves the Elite (and the Empyrean) for 90% of the people. There is an Elite thread though, you might be better off asking around there. :wink:

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #12,959 of 13,028
The earlier versions will not. They will come with hybrid and thick Alcantara pads.

If you have a newer version you get the angled Alcantara instead of the thick ones.

I like both the Angled and Hybrid but many prefer the angled. Personal preference of course.

Pads are all interchangeable between Elite, Empyrean and Empyrean II.

You can buy any of the pads by themselves either via Meze direct or your local supplier.

Enjoy!
How to differentiate the latest version with the earlier one? Is Tungsten Elite latest version?

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #12,960 of 13,028
How to differentiate the latest version with the earlier one? Is Tungsten Elite latest version?

There is no difference within the models eg Tungsten Elite sounds exactly the same as standard launch Elite (silver)
It is purely colour differences within the same model
Same applies with Empyrean OG, there are different and limited colours but they all sound the same.
There is currently only one colour in the Empyrean II (black) I’m sure at some stage they will offer other variations in colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back