Microsoft Zune 8gb or Sansa View 8gb?
Dec 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TF2

Head-Fier
I am getting a new MP3 player because my iPod Touch is almost burnt out, and I can't decide between these two...Also you could put the Fuse in there (I don't really like the look of it but if it has good features I would consider it). Which of these two (or three) is the best in terms of sound quality, features, battery/reliablity? Thanks in advance
wink_face.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 5
The Zune would be a good choice, but Microsoft doesn't seem to care about the other models since the HD came out. More firmware updates would easily fix the little issues with it, but it seems like they'll never happen. There's also no micro SD slot, which some of the Sandisk players have.

What format is your music collection in? The Sandisk players can't play AAC/M4A as far as I know, but the Zune can. Keep that in mind unless you would be willing to re-rip all your CDs.

Unless the audio file format is an issue, I'd say go with the Fuze.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 5
I've got a Zune 16. Here`s some of the good and bad. Great sound, nice interface. Zune software is easy to use.

Bad: proprietary software (Zune). You cannot drag and drop with this. All your music must be tagged for it to be useful. No folder structure. Battery life is nowhere what is advertised (25 hours). I`m luck if I`m getting 10 hours with 224kbps mp3s. It will play 25 hours if you leave it on shuffle and walk away. Also since the Zune HD was released, they (Microsoft) no longer support the older models, officially. Since the latest firmeware was released, I have had problems with it locking up, on occasion.

I got the 16GB for $120 CAD, so I`m happy.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 5
All my files are in the Windows media (.wma?) and the itunes (.aac?). Do either one of these have better sound quality than an iPod or do they all sound the same?

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All my files are in the Windows media (.wma?) and the itunes (.aac?). Do either one of these have better sound quality than an iPod or do they all sound the same?

These are lossy formats, so they actually leave out portions of audio that are on the original CD. Lossless formats (FLAC, APE, ALAC, WAV) leave out nothing, but take up much more space.

Now, as to which formats sound better, at 256 and higher, they all sound pretty good. Once you get around 192 and below, some sound better than others, but they all start sounding less than desirable.

Since all your files are in WMA and AAC (or maybe M4A), the Zune would be the best choice for compatibility unless you are willing to convert or re-rip your collection to another format. dBpoweramp is a great convertor and ripper program. Sandisk players can play WMA, but not AAC (for now anyways). If you went with the Fuze or View, you would probably not be able to play the iTunes files in your collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back