Mid-Fi DAC
May 20, 2022 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tlite

Head-Fier
I have:

iFi ZenDac V2, and an Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Were I to spend up to the +/- $1,000 mark, what would provide the most notable change for the better? Is that enough to spend to notice a change?

I'm still figuring out what I like, but most of my headphones tend toward the warm side of neutral, or V-shaped. Would I be correct that prioritizing clarity and instrument separation might be a good call?

Thanks all!

May 20, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 9
I have:

iFi ZenDac V2, and an Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Were I to spend up to the +/- $1,000 mark, what would provide the most notable change for the better? Is that enough to spend to notice a change?

I'm still figuring out what I like, but most of my headphones tend toward the warm side of neutral, or V-shaped. Would I be correct that prioritizing clarity and instrument separation might be a good call?

Thanks all!
Me I would go for headphone’s or a new amp rather than a new Dac as those 2 are fairly solid. I have a DFR and it tends to be a bit warm but not so much though and dont have a ZenDac V2 but do have a iDSD Diablo and find it more towards the neutral. For m a headphone and amp have more of a change than a dac.

May 20, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Also a fan of a smidge warm.
ZenDac2 is a very forward sounding device to me. Not a bad thing with the right chain...(Dac mode into Tube Amp/HD650)
In the spirit of trying different combinations compared to ZenDacV2.. Mojo2 and Fi0O K9 Pro are a clear upgrade, just much more of a sense of staging and spatial cues.

May 24, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Depending on what headphones you use, you could look into the rme adi 2 fs. I love mine and you should be able to find one for around $800. It drives arya stealths and meze empyreans just fine without a standalone amp.
Great! I've seen great reviews of that. Also looking at the Denafrips Ares II and the Musician Audio Draco. And I keep reading the Chord Qutest is great, but that's another price level than the others.

May 24, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Great! I've seen great reviews of that. Also looking at the Denafrips Ares II and the Musician Audio Draco. And I keep reading the Chord Qutest is great, but that's another price level than the others.
Will you be using your dac for anything other than music? A buddy of mine told me that the ares has some latency for video playback/gaming/etc.

May 24, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Depending on what headphones you use, you could look into the rme adi 2 fs. I love mine and you should be able to find one for around $800. It drives arya stealths and meze empyreans just fine without a standalone amp.
I will add my vote for the RME. The range of functionality is a significant upgrade over your current DACs. It will also keep pace if you decide to upgrade the rest of your chain over time or invest in a speaker system. I only sold mine as I thought the cheaper (in the UK) Chord Mojo 2 better suited my needs.
You may also want to consider the Mojo 2 as an alternative, a new one is within your budget.

May 24, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Will you be using your dac for anything other than music? A buddy of mine told me that the ares has some latency for video playback/gaming/etc.
Interesting. Just music at this point but good to know.

May 29, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 9
I have to agree the RME is a best-value in DACs. I wouldn't run the ops 6XX or ZMFs out of it, but since he has a bottlehead crack speedball, the RME would probably be an awesome addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back