Mini-Review: digiZoid ZO "portable subwoofer"
Jul 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #406 of 996

Quote:
Well suppose you're not THAT much of a basshead then, I find the Sony XB500 which is like the bassiest headhponest that exists and love how it sounds like with this EQ setting + 1 step above flat level on ZO which results in a stronger bass than stock XB500 but still much greater clarity/balance (bass put aside) due to my EQ settings as well as the ZO.

:)

ZO v2 will have more contour levels though probably the first level will be less severe, as it seems currently it may add about 2.5dB bass boost or so I'd guess for the first step, just tiny bit more/roughly the same as FiiO E5 or something like that (while then the 2nd may be only like ~3dB etc and the steps probably increase about 0.5dB or so per step from there as I suspect on the max 31 level there's like maybe around 15dB or so increase, basicly I think it's roughly the same amount of bass boost capability it packs that XB500 has compared to a headphone such as LCD-2 :p). So in theory you should probably be able to make almost any headphone bassheavy with ZO, whether it sounds great or not is ofc up to the headphone and how much of a boost is added but heh, the bass quantity it packs is quite amazing and scarily strong for something like XB500 that already got like ~15dB bass boost on it's own, I haven't really tried listening it with max setting cuz I don't think something like 30dB bass boost over the midrange or whatever is neither healthy for the headphone drivers or my ears in case I'd plan on hear anything besides bass as well but based on around level 7~10 or so I've tried a few times just for fun, it already has this kind of experience of "pads jumping around on my head"-kind of experience as the pressure/air or whatever tries to escape between the skin and the pads which gives a rather funny tickling effect even at rather low volume.

I actually have the XB500's. I haven't bothered to try them with the ZO because they have enough bass on their own. I'm definitely a basshead, but I'm out of my " 22-inch car subwoofer bass" phase. I want a lot of quantity, but I also want quality. That said, even step 1 is too much for my RX700's. They seem to get annoyingly boomy, and the bass sounds fake past that. I agree it needs the initial steps spaced further apart. Step 0 or 1 is still useful as a 840mw amp though :p I can't take it over 1/5 volume through my S:Flo2 on any of my headphones.

I used to hate the few open headphones I have, but now, i think they sound better than all of my closed. Techno is truly an experience on the ZO'd HD555's. It's the best of open (air, detail)  and closed (punchy and deep bass) in one package. I think I will cave and get the AD700's just to see how they sound on the ZO.

Has anyone become bored yet and taken their ZO apart? I'm curious what kind of op-amp(s) is inside.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #408 of 996
dare i say i didnt actually order it. 

I cant remember exactly which sites i used, but if anyone else wants to attempt this:
first of all to make it easy, go to sharperimage.com and add the zo to your cart.. 
next you find a certain type of coupon link - i dont remember exactly what sites i used but essentially you google sharper image coupons.
there will be many sites of course that youll just have to look through.. keep scowering through the lists on the sites until you come across the kind of "coupon" that does NOT require you to enter a coupon code, but rather gives you a discount by way of following the link which takes you to the sharper image site. 
if you do it right it will take you to the sharper image site and when you check your cart a $12 dollar discount will be applied..
they are currently offering free shipping so that will be there too.

then use the promo code  ENT2010

you should end up with free shipping, and $27 off for a total of $72.99

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #410 of 996
Thank you guys for the promo codes. Just placed my order. Let's see how well this pairs with my EX1000.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #411 of 996

Quote:

I actually have the XB500's. I haven't bothered to try them with the ZO because they have enough bass on their own. I'm definitely a basshead, but I'm out of my " 22-inch car subwoofer bass" phase. I want a lot of quantity, but I also want quality. That said, even step 1 is too much for my RX700's. They seem to get annoyingly boomy, and the bass sounds fake past that. I agree it needs the initial steps spaced further apart. Step 0 or 1 is still useful as a 840mw amp though :p I can't take it over 1/5 volume through my S:Flo2 on any of my headphones.

I used to hate the few open headphones I have, but now, i think they sound better than all of my closed. Techno is truly an experience on the ZO'd HD555's. It's the best of open (air, detail)  and closed (punchy and deep bass) in one package. I think I will cave and get the AD700's just to see how they sound on the ZO.

Has anyone become bored yet and taken their ZO apart? I'm curious what kind of op-amp(s) is inside.

Definitely go for it, if the ZO works as well as you say it will make the AD700 absolutely insane for the price. I feel like a criminal having bought the AD700 for $90, they sound better than so many cans at far higher prices, but that anemic bass is just too much.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #412 of 996
I know I'm getting a more unbalanced opinion by asking here, but a friend of mine owes me $100, and I was considering asking him to get me this. Should I get the ZO to pair with my Pro 900s, or should I just hold off, and get the E11 + AKG 420s? On one hand, the Pros won't really need the extra ampage, plus I am getting the Arrow eventually - but on the flipside, I need a decent portable set that won't set my head on fire in these blazing days of summer/autumn. I also hear the new ZO is coming out soon, and the supposed bass boost is very tempting to try! Any advice, friends?

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #413 of 996
its better and safe to wait for the latest version of zo. (ver.2).

i think...the zo is one of the best bang for the buck purchased ive made.
dont hesitate because this thing will bring smile in your face!

heh!

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #415 of 996
I don't understand, why would that be creepy?

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #417 of 996
Quote:
Heh, not sure. Maybe too much South Park back in the day.

OT: I must admit my friend, whenever I see your avatar, I'm reminded of the "Lamia" from the film 'Drag Me To hell'. Maybe it's just me, but I found that film hillarious. The scare scenes are so farfetched, it's beyond me.
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #418 of 996

Quote:

OT: I must admit my friend, whenever I see your avatar, I'm reminded of the "Lamia" from the film 'Drag Me To hell'. Maybe it's just me, but I found that film hillarious. The scare scenes are so farfetched, it's beyond me.
tongue.gif

Lol just google'd the Lamia, not seeing the resemblance to my avatar
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back