Mini-Review: Shure SRH1840
Apr 10, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 31
I sent back my T1 few days ago. I completely agree with the reviewer.
T1 does NOT worth the extra 1,000 dollars. It sounds worse than SRH1840. T1 sounds less organized compared to SRH1840.
T1 has different interpretation of music but not necessarily better than SRH1840. SRH1840 is more 3D sounding than T1. SRH1840's soundstage is wider and more detailed. It has more organized sound for instruments thus better for mixing and mastering.
T1 is terrible in that department. It's entertaining to listen to T1 but its instrument separation is very bad and somewhat misleading. T1 was definitely more intended for entertainment and audiophiles than accuracy.

I had listened to HD650. I sold it within three days upon receiving SRH1840. This makes SRH1840 one of the best headphones ever made in that price range.

If LCD-2F is not better, I think I will test only few others that can surpass SRH1840 in sound stage, details, accuracy, reference audio level quality, and comfort.
Only few headphones fall into this category:

Sennheiser HD800
Audeze LCD-X
AKG K812 Pro
AKG K702
Audiotechnica AD2000X
Audeze EL-8 (Open) ????

All other reviews show that other headphones are clearly worse than SRH1840.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 31
I substituted the velour pads with Shure's very own alcantara pads. I found them to add more feel to the bass with less leakage. I've also been burning in these headphones overnight this whole week and the improvements are appearing. To me it feels like the bass is tightening up which is opening up all the other frequencies. I am really enjoying the mids now. Before, I couldn't separate them much from the rest. I've just ordered new pure silver cables to try and further enhance the mid-high range. I was never a believer of cables, but I'm itching to try at least once with these cans that sounds almost perfect to me.

EDIT: I've put the velour pads back on to give them another go. Didn't like them at all. I guess they make the cans more neutral, but you're definitely losing a lot of body especially in the vocals. If you want your 1840 to be more musical, substituting the pads is highly recommended by me. It's like night and day, really. I feel like the Shure pads should've been reversed with the 1540 and 1840.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #20 of 31
  I substituted the velour pads with Shure's very own alcantara pads. I found them to add more feel to the bass with less leakage. I've also been burning in these headphones overnight this whole week and the improvements are appearing. To me it feels like the bass is tightening up which is opening up all the other frequencies. I am really enjoying the mids now. Before, I couldn't separate them much from the rest. I've just ordered new pure silver cables to try and further enhance the mid-high range. I was never a believer of cables, but I'm itching to try at least once with these cans that sounds almost perfect to me.

EDIT: I've put the velour pads back on to give them another go. Didn't like them at all. I guess they make the cans more neutral, but you're definitely losing a lot of body especially in the vocals. If you want your 1840 to be more musical, substituting the pads is highly recommended by me. It's like night and day, really. I feel like the Shure pads should've been reversed with the 1540 and 1840.

Thanks for this awesome advice!
  I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a fiio e10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)

I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially intersted in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.

Now I will also get a pair of alcantara pads as you have done!

Does anyone here have any reccomendation as to what amp would help to bring some warmth the the sound? I was considering Woo Audio WA6, Schiit Valhalla or Asgard, or a Darkvoice 336.

Any advice or reccomendation is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 31

Thanks for this awesome advice!
  I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a fiio e10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)

I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially intersted in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.

Now I will also get a pair of alcantara pads as you have done!

Does anyone here have any reccomendation as to what amp would help to bring some warmth the the sound? I was considering Woo Audio WA6, Schiit Valhalla or Asgard, or a Darkvoice 336.

Any advice or reccomendation is much appreciated.

Thanks!

A good amp doesn't give it extra bass. Shure 1840's just lack bass. Only thing that can be done is installing a mod or buy a black-dragon cable

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #24 of 31
In terms of clarity and soundstage, does SRH1840 win over HD600?

Yes, clearly. The middle and high-region and sound-stage is superior on the SRH1840. Only issue is the bass. The HD600 has a stronger bass-punch. Also the shures are easier to drive. Handy for phone or so. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 31
Yes, clearly. The middle and high-region and sound-stage is superior on the SRH1840. Only issue is the bass. The HD600 has a stronger bass-punch. Also the shures are easier to drive. Handy for phone or so. 

Thats cool as long as the bass does not sound distorted like on hd598 for instance.
Ill try them in a few weeks and do a double purchase with 1540 if I like them

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #26 of 31
Thats cool as long as the bass does not sound distorted like on hd598 for instance.
Ill try them in a few weeks and do a double purchase with 1540 if I like them

No it doesn't. Although I would personally advice you the 1540's over the 1840's. The 1540's have more bass because of the closed-design. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #28 of 31
Jun 21, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #30 of 31
Will post my impressions after I try them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aight, looking forward to that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back