Mini-Review: Stax SR-009
Nov 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #16 of 74
Steve your findings were not too different from mine when I compared 007mk1 to 009 on my friend's BHSE (using my DAC). Though we didn't listen to any classical and focused more on 60s/70s jazz, classic and prog rock. I actually didn't find the SR-009 bright on the BHSE either (I mean it won't cover up recordings where the engineer jacks up the treble). I don't think it's a bright amp at all, just passes on what it's given.

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 74
Haven't been on here for a while, didn't read the whole thing but caught the gists.

First time agreeing (mostly) with a review from you Steve. The 009 does have some clearly advantageous traits to it over the O2Mk1, but overall yes, the reasons your outline are  why i kept the O2 and the 009 got sold.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

It's fascinating how even very experienced users can have such different opinions of the same component.

When that happens is it not better to assess the components under objective criteria and not by our impressions of them?
.For those who want to purchase a product, the difference of opinion does not help. The reviews are very important to learn more about a product, but there is know that influence many things and impressions are always subjective

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 74
Establishing whether a component has sonic character is paramount to me. Evaluating with components that are considered neutral is the only yardstick I can think of. If you consider the BHSE a neutral piece of equipment then the review is a good benchmark. I’m sure Steve could have gone the extra yards and achieved better synergy with equipment better suited for the SR-009’s character.  However as it stands I feel it’s a fine example of the true character of the SR-009’s, which means you get to do your own mix and matching for best results.

smile_phones.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #22 of 74
I panic bought the 009 last December from pricejapan after hearing about the Chinese company taking over Stax, however I didn't have anything to drive it until I received the BHSE which was in June. If I'd have got to listen to the 009 straight after I received it, it'd have gone back to pricejapan. I'm still regretting letting the 007mk1's go I once had but hopefully Stax will be reading the thoughts some headfiers have on the 009 and do something about it. 

Although I'm not entirely happy with the 009, I listen to acoustic guitar music which the 009/BHSE/K-01 make that music genre sound very realistic.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 74
Quote:
Quote:

It's fascinating how even very experienced users can have such different opinions of the same component.

When that happens is it not better to assess the components under objective criteria and not by our impressions of them?
.For those who want to purchase a product, the difference of opinion does not help. The reviews are very important to learn more about a product, but there is know that influence many things and impressions are always subjective

On the contrary, it does. There are measurements of the BHSE + 007 and 009 combinations on Innerfidelity, but those don't give you an impression of how they sound. They do match people's impressions of the differences between both models on Stax amps versus on the BHSE. Ultimately, a person's enjoyment will have more to do with the type of music one likes and the system synergy. You could objectively analyse this, but ultimately you'll reach the same conclusions. 
smile.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #24 of 74
Quote:

On the contrary, it does. There are measurements of the BHSE + 007 and 009 combinations on Innerfidelity, but those don't give you an impression of how they sound. They do match people's impressions of the differences between both models on Stax amps versus on the BHSE. Ultimately, a person's enjoyment will have more to do with the type of music one likes and the system synergy. You could objectively analyse this, but ultimately you'll reach the same conclusions. 
smile.gif

I think that it is difficult to reach an objective conclusion when we read different impressions of the same combination. The only logic conclusion would be that there are different opinions.

Opinions are different depending on the interpretation of each one. For example I, ve read that the GES-009 combination is extraordinary and on the other hand I, ve read that the GES cannot move SR-009 and we are missing something very important . When this happens the preferable it is assessed under objective criteria - specifications etc.The ideal is trying by ourself, but there are times that we can not do that.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 74
Makes me think that if I ever have $5K to throw around,  (possibly when my kids finish college)   I would go for the BHSE  rather than the SR009.  Currently my TOTL set-up is running an 007A (i.e. what I think many call the 2, with Sprizter's spring mod, rather than the 2.5 model,) and Sigma/404 from  a Stax 717.  My recollection of hearing the BHSE at a Canjam some years back was that it did great things to any phone, to some extent equalizing phones that on other amps would appear of different quality.   I remember thinking that the SIGMA/404 seemed to have a lot better detail with the BHSE and that the 007A's advantage in that regard  was much reduced.  Possibly much the same is going on betrween your  007Mk1 and the SR009.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 74
I personally preferred both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 to the SR-007 MKII. The MKI was closer and I did prefer it to the LCD-2, but I'd still take the LCD-3s over them. Now that said, the SR-009s have made me a very happy member of the mafia (never thought I'd come to this conclusion). I didn't think I'd hear an e-stat that is simply this magical, technically proficient and portray layer upon layer of so much sonic goodness. Just sharing my experiences and two cents. 
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #27 of 74
Quote:
I personally preferred both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 to the SR-007 MKII. The MKI was closer and I did prefer it to the LCD-2, but I'd still take the LCD-3s over them. Now that said, the SR-009s have made me a very happy member of the mafia (never thought I'd come to this conclusion). I didn't think I'd hear an e-stat that is simply this magical, technically proficient and portray layer upon layer of so much sonic goodness. Just sharing my experiences and two cents. 
smile.gif

I've seen the classification  you do on the headphones and I think  that the positions for you are

1 SR-009
2 Audeze LCD 3
3 Stax SR 007 MKI
4 Audeze 2 LCD
5 Stax SR 007 MKI

Which position you place the HD800 in that classification?

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #29 of 74
I've seen the classification  you do on the headphones and I think  that the positions for you are

1 SR-009
2 Audeze LCD 3
3 Stax SR 007 MKI
4 Audeze 2 LCD
5 Stax SR 007 MKI

I ranked my headphone collection as follow

1. Stax Sr 009
2 Stax Sr 007 mk 2
3. LCD 3
4. HD 800
5. LCD 2 rev 2 with right Angle connector

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #30 of 74
Quote:

1 SR-009
2 Audeze LCD 3
3 Stax SR 007 MKI
4 Audeze 2 LCD
5 Stax SR 007 MKI

Here is my personal ranking:

1.) SR-009
2.) LCD-3
3.) HD-800
4.) LCD-2 r.2
4.1) SR-007 MKI
5.) W3000ANV
5.1) TH-900
6.) SR-007 MKII
7.) LCD-2 Rev. 1
8.) T1

Users who are viewing this thread