Misplaced my Westone 3, thinking about getting the Shure 535...
Jul 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheSacredSoul

New Head-Fier
Recently I misplaced my much beloved (6 months old Amazon set) Westone 3 after they slipped out of my bag. I wanna get another set of IEMs but not the W3 again and the W4 is out of my price range. 

The S535 seems to fit the bill. Also found a one month old set being sold for USD$280. What do you guys think? From what I've read, the W3 are more 'fun' while the 535s are more neutral. Or is there any other IEMs you can recommend me?

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Bass will be quite a bit less in quantity but very detailed.   W3 has a V-shaped sound signature.  Like you say, SE535 is neutral but also very mid-centric (forward midrange).  Vocal and acoustic music will probably sound better with SE535.  The forward midrange of SE535 is the biggest change over W3.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi- I had the 535 Ltd Japans a while back...they were stolen.  I tried a couple different cables ranging from e-bay balder MKIII to Ted Allen's Headphone Lounge Cables.  The ebay type cables were rigid and had terrible micro phonics but did improve sound a little. That being said, I would go straight Ted allen and get the best cables you can afford from him.  His rates compared to others are VERY VERY Reasonable.  IMHO, the Silver cables are by far the way to go.  They liven the upper end and seem to make things more transparent.  Finally, if you are like me, Call Ted and let him help you.  I don't have the first clue on the exact terms to use for every single connection. If you tell him what you have and what you want to do, he can help you figure it out fast.  Aslo, he is fast with delivery and offers a great product.  

Enjoy those 535s, I loved the lush midrange on these phones.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back