Missing specific Forum Functions with Chrome or Firefox
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2017 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Traveller

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if it's specific to Head-Fi or a particular version of the forum Software but for the past ~4 weeks I've lost access to certain forum features. The missing / non-operational features all seem to be based on forum-Software pop-up windows (not to be confused with third-party Ads).

This includes the "Add Reputation" window (thumbs-up icon), Search pop-up windows and oddly enough, the Multi (multi-quote) button. Last but not least, the wysiwyg editor is also on the fritz and I have no editor commands (apart from the preview / Submit) buttons at the bottom of the editor window. I'm working in "source" mode...

These issues do not appear in MS "Edge" (Windows 10) and are limited to one Windows 10 Notebook (all browsers handle Head-Fi properly on my other Windows 10 machine).

Yes, I deleted cache, cookies and off-line data.

Going mad here... please help! Thanks :)

Firefox / Chrome
33713074431_b1aefdccfd_o.jpg

EDGE
33686316802_2756f718eb_o.jpg

33686316992_2ff419b3b4_o.jpg

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Those behaviours suggest that YUI is not being loaded with Firefox or Chrome. I have experienced a similar problem before, with drop-downs and multi-quotes not working, and CK Editor not loading: http://www.head-fi.org/t/792339/help-anyone-experiencing-typing-and-browsing-lag-on-headfi/15#post_12317280

​Go to the Developer Tools for either browser and check to see the request to yui.yahooapis.com. If it's not being blocked, then go to the Console and see if any errors relating to YUI appear.

Since the site works fine on Edge, something specific to Firefox or Chrome, perhaps a plugin, is blocking YUI. Like Firefox's Tracking Protection (make sure if you have that enabled on Firefox, that you are not on the Strict blocklist).

Also, current versions of Firefox and Chrome have started blocking mixed content, and connections to YUI are not encrypted. However, since Head-Fi is not served over HTTPS itself, I doubt that has to do with this.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion however I have been "enjoying" Head-Fi's numerous JS-based Ads since forever (although I will now start to use NoScript...) and thus I am not blocking anything.
Firefox only indicates "Tracking Protection" options for PRIVATE sessions (which I don't use on my personal machines) and I do not see any indication of how to control it in "normal" operating mode.
Finally, I can load yui.yahooapis.com without any errors. The "home page" is blank of course... .

So back to the drawing board, I guess... *sigh*

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 7
p.s. FWIW, when I press the "Search This Thread" button I get this in the Browser Console:

"Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead."

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 7
​I forgot to take into account the fact that Huddler started hosting YUI on their own domain (Wikia) a while back, as YUI is no longer being developed upstream. So you should probably check to see if yui.huddler.com is being loaded as well.

p.s. FWIW, when I press the "Search This Thread" button I get this in the Browser Console:

The function getPreventDefault() was deprecated in favour of the method event.defaultPrevented() some time ago. When you click the search toggle, it runs searchtoggler.js (you can take a look in your browser debugger), which contains a call for event.preventDefault(), which should be using the property defaultPrevent. Instead, it is falling back to getPreventDefault(), and that is giving you the warning. This is because the version of jQuery Huddler uses is on 1.6.4, and that might be the way older versions of jQuery handles preventDefault for older browsers. On my machine, with Firefox 52, this warning does not appear.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 7
  ​I forgot to take into account the fact that Huddler started hosting YUI on their own domain (Wikia) a while back, as YUI is no longer being developed upstream. So you should probably check to see if yui.huddler.com is being loaded as well.

The function getPreventDefault() was deprecated in favour of the method event.defaultPrevented() some time ago. When you click the search toggle, it runs searchtoggler.js (you can take a look in your browser debugger), which contains a call for event.preventDefault(), which should be using the property defaultPrevent. Instead, it is falling back to getPreventDefault(), and that is giving you the warning. This is because the version of jQuery Huddler uses is on 1.6.4, and that might be the way older versions of jQuery handles preventDefault for older browsers. On my machine, with Firefox 52, this warning does not appear.

So yui.huddler.com loads without errors and I am on the latest ver of FireFox (I have it set to automatically download and update).
Thanks again for the suggestions so far
smile.gif
and the debugging continues...
wink.gif

33029320114_aa13b07e1a_b.jpg

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 7
I guess I would try to run Firefox with a newly created profile, and see if the error persists. Since you're on Windows: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows. Make sure not to delete your existing profile though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back