Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar Amplifier
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #16 of 38
Tempted also with this. OR go for the Cavalli Liquid Platinum Balanced from Monoprice this September.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 38
When using this with a DAC with balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs, I immediately noticed a shocking difference in the sound quality. While the BiPolar will “convert” unbalanced source signals, its magic is in what it can do with a higher level differential signal. It is pure magic. Bar none, the best sounding headphone amplifier I have ever heard.

If Birgir were to release one with:
- A second pair of balanced differential inputs switched by an A/B source selector on the front
- An output selector switch that would choose between the balanced headphone outs and the XLR Pre-outs for driving an external amp
...I’d make a Pure BiPolar the Pre-Amp heart of my home system without hesitating!

The rear XLR outputs aren't just a fixed level loop out? I will get a balanced fully differential DAC in the future.

Don’t think it’s dual mono psu just his version of the grlv which is touted for its silent background.

My thoughts as well based on the description. I could always open mine and find out for sure.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #19 of 38
Wonder how high impedance cans fare with this amp? @Rhamnetin have you any high impedance cans to try out wih the amp?

I tried the LCD-4. Never needed to push the volume knob past 2pm and that's for really quirt songs, but the only other amps I could compare it to aren't anywhere near it's league so it was no contest. Bob Katz loved the combo, the headphone s treble prevents me from loving it however (otherwise I would).

I am trying to acquire a Dynahi (preferably a Super Symmetry one) as well, though I no longer have the LCD-4 for comparison.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 38
So it’s proven this amp does pack quite a punch. Don’t think you’d need a Dynahi unless you plan on acquiring a HE6 or maybe Abyss / Susvara.

Would be interesting to pit the dynalo against Pass Labs HPA-1...

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 38
I am actually trying to acquire an HE-6. Gonna be interesting to see how the Pure BiPolar compares to a good Dynahi for it!

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #23 of 38
Far as end device input impedance, will this amp work well with low impedance (15 ohm) LCD4Z AND higher impedance (200 ohm) LCD4 headphones? This becomes important when planning the system with a macro view, so that all the devices are synergistic and the sum is greater than its parts.

Also, can the amp accept SE and/or balanced inputs? Not sure if Hugo 2 can output balanced, I dont think it can but I could be wrong. Eventual end game I think would be Chord DAVE with Mjolnir Audio Dynalo Mark 2.

OR could just go with DAVE and LCD4Z which I know will drive the 4Z very well. Heck it may drive LCD4 ok too not sure about that. But for now plan is to utilize the H2 I have until better funded for systemic upgrades...

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #24 of 38
Far as end device input impedance, will this amp work well with low impedance (15 ohm) LCD4Z AND higher impedance (200 ohm) LCD4 headphones? This becomes important when planning the system with a macro view, so that all the devices are synergistic and the sum is greater than its parts.

Also, can the amp accept SE and/or balanced inputs? Not sure if Hugo 2 can output balanced, I dont think it can but I could be wrong. Eventual end game I think would be Chord DAVE with Mjolnir Audio Dynalo Mark 2.

OR could just go with DAVE and LCD4Z which I know will drive the 4Z very well. Heck it may drive LCD4 ok too not sure about that. But for now plan is to utilize the H2 I have until better funded for systemic upgrades...

Not sure about 15 ohms, need to know the gain of the amp and even then I am too inexperienced with such low impedance headphones to know how much gain is too much.

It only has XLR inputs but can be fed a single ended signal via adapters and converts it into balanced. It drives the LCD-4 well though I am thinking the GS-X Mk2 might be better, and a balanced Dynahi even better.

FYI I have a Hugo 2, this amp, and had an LCD-4 until a few days ago.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #25 of 38

I think you can obtain a lot of information from Bob Katz's review of this amp over at Innerfidelity site. The amp is supposed to be able to handle difficult loads, which may mean both very low or high impedances.

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #26 of 38
Thanks guys I will look at Katz's review and continue researching. Really didn't want to use yggy dac post research into that... So still looking around.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #27 of 38
Tempted also with this. OR go for the Cavalli Liquid Platinum Balanced from Monoprice this September.

I would be hesitant to get a Cavalli amp, based on the results found in the thread below. Read the first 4 pages for the technical breakdown from spritzer and Kevin Gilmore which resumes for a proposed Cavalli Liquid Lightning Mk3 on page 11, while you can continue reading on for hysterics at the laughably corrupt responses in defense of the amp:

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/11304-cavalli-audio-liquid-lightning/

Members there have indicated similar findings in other Cavalli amps (all the >$3,000 ones too).

In other news, here are some internal shots of my Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar:

4VTgiWm.jpg

MeuUEEp.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #28 of 38
Yes knew and read those posts on the past. And have posted that link to a forum, for just being open about what other say and its citicism about it. Boy, the post was met negatively by immature cry babies.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #29 of 38
The contrast with what I saw on the images in the other link is fairly dramatic. I was up until 0130 this morning reading thru every page. Sad really. And very eye-opening as well. Big takeaway from all that: Just because a device is priced at several (to many) thousands of dollars, does not mean that the vendor is not above cutting corners or even worse, so buyer beware. Definitely incumbent upon the buyer looking at a prospective addition to perform due diligence. And look in places where they don't mind telling the truth about the situation...

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #30 of 38
This amp has about 5 times the power of a standard dynalo and I can say with authority that it will definitely drive the he6 to painfully loud levels.

Don't know about the lcd4x because I don't own one of those. But 15 ohms should be no problem for this amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back